• Tue., Sep. 27, 2016 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fane unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches, and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m./7:30 a.m. daily)

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Location: Comcast SportsNet

Will Compton Wins Hometown Hero Award

Posted by Jake Kring-Schreifels on January 20, 2015 – 11:26 am

RELATED LINKS:
Will Compton Meets His Godson
Weekend Social Media Spotlight

For more from the team, including exclusive videos, photos and written content, be sure t“like” the Redskins’ Official Facebook page

It may be the offseason, but Redskins linebacker Will Compton is still receiving awards.

Over the weekend, Compton joined his family as he was presented the Hometown Hero Award for doing something out of the ordinary, given to him by The Bonne Terre, Mo., Chamber of Commerce.

Board of directors member Paul Williams introduced the award to Compton, saying that he “would not describe himself as a hero but as a regular person who has above average perseverance. He had a dream to play in the NFL.”

“He moved to Bonne Terre in 1999 and that is when everything turned around for him,” Williams said jokingly. “He played a little football while he was in high school and he was all conference, all district, and all state and KTJJ/KREI player of the year. Obviously he had some good seasons at North County. It is unusual to have that combination of scholar and athlete, a true scholar and an athlete.”

(Bonne Terre Daily Journal)

(Bonne Terre Daily Journal)

Compton was in complete shock as he accepted the award and choked up as he reflected on his life growing up.

“We talked about moving here in 1991 and I moved to Bonne Terre in 1999,” said Compton in front of about 180 people. “For a second I want my parents to stand up, mom and dad. The football started in Park Hills where my dad would play with me every day. Sorry to all the Rams fans, but I was a huge Cowboys fan. My first dream was to be the next Walter Payton, but then reality hit pretty quick.

“I have a lot of emotion running through my mind right now,” said Compton. “Doing what I have done and being in a small house in Park Hills, playing … now I’m accepting a Hometown Hero Award. Really I’m up here … accepting this award on behalf of all the influences I have had on my life. I wouldn’t be where I am without this area and my parents. I’m proud to say I’m from Bonne Terre, Missouri, and I’ll continue to make you guys proud.”

Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »