• Sun., Oct. 02, 2016 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Postgame Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden addresses the media following the Redskins vs. Browns game at FedExField.
  • Sun., Oct. 02, 2016 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Cousins Postgame Press Conference Redskins Quarterback Kirk Cousins addresses the media following the Redskins vs. Browns game at FedExField.
  • Mon., Oct. 03, 2016 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fane unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches, and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m./7:30 a.m. daily)

Time: 5:30 p.m.

• Tue., Oct. 11, 2016 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Location: Comcast SportsNet

• Wed., Oct. 12, 2016 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Location: Comcast SportsNet

McCloughan Talks Athletic Past On ‘Redskins Nation’

Posted by Jake Kring-Schreifels on January 9, 2015 – 5:12 pm

McCloughan Redskins Nation

RELATED LINKS:
Gallery: McCloughan Introduced As General Manager
Bruce Allen: ‘Scot Was The Right Man’
Redskins’ New GM Scot McCloughan Has An Athletic Resume

For more from the team, including exclusive videos, photos and written content, be sure t“like” the Redskins’ Official Facebook page

As we documented here yesterday, Scot McCloughan was pretty athletic as a kid, eventually growing into a starting collegiate and minor league baseball player.

On tonight’s episode of “Redskins Nation,” hosted by Larry Michael, McCloughan recounts some of his memories playing ball and growing up with father, Kent, who played cornerback for Oakland starting in 1965.

“[My dad] was drafted by the Redskins and traded to the Raiders,” he said. “I was born in Alameda, Calif., in 1971 – last year dad played for the Raiders. So I grew up in the state of Colorado, small town of Loveland … I was raised there, ended up playing a little pro baseball at Wichita State, played in a couple College World Series. Then I spent three years with the Toronto Blue Jays – all minor league. I wasn’t very good, but I enjoyed it. Outfielder – I could run; no power. I could hit for average, just no power.”

McCloughan said he ended up hurting his shoulder in his third year of minor league baseball. That’s when he got the fateful call to go work with the Packers organization.

“Ron Wolf was the general manager of the time at the Green Bay Packers, and he worked for a long time with my dad at the Raiders, so he called and offered me a full-time job,” said McCloughan. “So I talked to my dad and he said, ‘They’re very hard to come by as an area scout.’ So I called Toronto and told them I was retiring, and they were like, ‘OK! Thanks for coming.’ My father retired three years ago after 46 years with the Raiders. He played seven and scouted for 39, and him and Mr. [Al] Davis were really, really close.”

He and his father are very close, too, and his passion for scouting was bred from a very early age.

“[Tape] was on the projectors. Down in our basement,” McCloughan said of his childhood. “There would be times when I was in elementary school where [dad] would be doing University of Colorado or Colorado State, so I would leave school for the day and go scout with him. So I’ve been around it.”

Catch the full interview above of “Redskins Nation,” which airs tonight at 5:30 pm on Comcast Sports Net Washington.

Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »