• Mon., Dec. 05, 2016 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fane unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches, and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m./7:30 a.m. daily)

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Location: Comcast SportsNet

Frank Kearse Wanted To Be The Next Frank Thomas Before Football Reality

Posted by Stephen Czarda on December 26, 2014 – 11:37 am

(AP Image)

(AP Image)

Frank Kearse was like many 90’s babies.

Growing up in Savannah, Ga., Kearse, albeit much smaller than his current billed weight, was a baseball player with visions of being the next Frank Thomas.

The Big Hurt as he was known, played the majority of his career with the Chicago White Sox, but his heyday was between 1993-97, when was named an All Star each season and was named American League MVP in back-to-back seasons in 1993 and 1994.

Earlier this week, ESPN’s John Keim caught up with Kearse where the veteran explained that he wanted to be a baseball player long-term, but a black eye derailed that dream.

In return, it was the start of a budding football career.

“To tell you the truth, I wanted to be a football player. Wait, I take that back. I wanted to be the next Frank Thomas. I swear I thought I was going to be him, being on first base eating sunflower seeds. Then a baseball hit me in the face and I had a black eye for a month, so I needed to find a sport with a facemask. I was about 9. I took a year out from baseball and tried out for football when I was 11 and I freaking quit. I was like ‘what are they running around for?’ I had to get in shape. The next year I came out and I was in way better shape. In football you have to be in shape, and when I first started out I was nowhere near football shape.”

Kearse also told Keim that someday, when the time comes to hang up the helmet for good, he wants to remain in the game of football and coach high schoolers.

“I want to start out coaching at my hometown high school in Savannah, and then after that move up,” he explained.

If that startup become reality, then Kearse will be the second Redskin to coach there.

Former Redskins wide receiver Charlie Brown coached Kearse at Savannah (Ga.) High School, and remains the coach there today.

READ: Charlie Brown Makes Impact On Frank Kearse