• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Dec. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Cowboys kickoff on Sunday, December 28, 2014.
  • Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 2:30 PM - 2:45 PM EST Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker and Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField during the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on December 28, 2014.

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at FedExField on Sunday, December 28, 2014.
  • Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at FedExField on Sunday, December 28, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Robert Griffin III Receives Touching Gift From Friends For Life

Posted by Stephen Czarda on May 15, 2014 – 2:41 pm

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

While Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has called the Washington, D.C. area home since 2012, he has continued to visit his college home of Waco, TX on a regular basis.

Why?

Just as he does here with providing assistance to those in need and being involved in community efforts that benefit younger generations, he continues to give back to residents of the Texas town.

Last week, Griffin III was a guest speaker for a Friends For Life, an organization devoted to assisting the elderly and people with disabilities, fundraiser. It wasn’t the first time Griffin III had been to Friends For Life, as the quarterback volunteered there during his years at Baylor University.

At the fundraiser, Griffin III received a touching gift that shows the impact his bond with his friend Rudy has had on both of their lives.

The gift is a sculpture, built by Bruce R. Greene, of two embracing.

Griffin III told Larry Michael, Voice of the Washington Redskins, that Rudy has ‘show much energy’ and that his enthusiasm has rubbed off on his family and him.

“Rudy was a guy that got excited every time myself, or some of the other players, or my wife would go volunteer at this place,” Griffin III said. “They surprised me with this at the end of the ceremony, made me cry in front of 3,000 people. It was a really special time in my life to be able to give back to those kids.

“They brought Rudy on stage, we hugged and talked, and then they brought out the statute. That got me.”

Griffin also posted the following on his Facebook this afternoon:

At the Friends For Life dinner last Friday, people from all around central texas gathered to support the cause of helping others. I was able to reconnect with old friends that I used to visit at Friends For Life. It was very touching to see that they had not forgotten our time together. They even made a grown man cry when they surprised me by bringing my good buddy Rudy on stage. Rudy and I grew close during my visits to Friends For Life while in college. So as they rolled Rudy up the ramp, a sculpture of myself and Rudy was unveiled on stage. My first reaction was, “WOW that’s cool who is that with Rudy?” Then my second reaction kicked in as the tears began to flow. An extremely touching moment that I will never forget. I was there to help give to them. Yet, the people of Friends For Life, who have greater challenges to face, were trying to give to me. Friends For Life changed my life. The time spent there showed me the importance of giving back. Giving back is not about getting anything in return. It’s about saying thank you to your community and helping make the world a better place. I felt Friends For Life had given me enough through the relationships built and lessons learned. Yet, they gave more. A great message of you can never give to much. So to the many generous donors who came out that night to eat give back we say THANK YOU. Thank You for helping generate over $350,000 dollars in just a few hours to help support Friends For Life.

Griffin III has ‘amped’ up his philanthropic efforts this offseason as he created the Family of 3 Initiative, will be hosting football camps for local players and is attending Movies With Morris on June 4th.

For more on Robert Griffin III’s community initiatives click here.

Tags: ,