(Photo via Kelly Gampel)
There’s been lots of chatter lately about Redskins uniform numbers — who’s wearing what, who’s not wearing what, who wants to wear what, etc. — so this topic certainly isn’t just simple offseason fodder (and see the bottom of this post for more uniform number updates, including DeSean Jackson’s).
But when two players make an arrangement for a uniform number that benefits children, well, that’s just the deal of all deals.
That’s what’s happened between third-year Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins and recently-acquired wide receiver Andre Roberts
I caught up with Cousins last night at the team’s special screening of the movie “Draft Day,” and he told me Roberts is making a $12,000 donation to the Kirk Cousins Football Camp for the rights to wear Cousins’ No. 12.
Cousins, meanwhile, will now wear No. 8 — the number he wore from eighth grade through his senior year at Michigan State.
“With that money, we’ll potentially be able to give a portion of a scholarship to college to one of the kids,” Cousins said of his camp, which is for middle-school students. “You can do a lot of good with that, and I really feel good about Andre being able to help in that way.”
Cousins said his journey back to his beloved No. 8 has been an interesting one.
He began wearing the number in eighth grade, retained it at Holland Christian High School (see above photo) and then kept numero ocho through his career at Michigan State.
Upon being drafted by the Redskins in 2012, however, Cousins said he was texted almost immediately by a team equipment manager who gave him three possible uniform numbers to wear: 2, 5 or 12.
No. 8 wasn’t available at the time because it was being used by quarterback Rex Grossman, so Cousins settled on No. 12 for a couple seasons.
With Grossman now an unrestricted free agent, Roberts recently approached Cousins with idea getting his own beloved No. 12 with the Redskins.
“That way he can get his number, I can get a great number that means a lot to me — and my camp will really benefit,” Cousins said. “So everbody wins, I think.”
Cousins said it might sound silly for an athlete to get attached to a number, but, if you think about it, a uniform number can become synonymous with that person’s brand — their Twitter handle or their e-mail address, for example.
“So that’s one of the challenges with switching: it just kind of creates an inconsistent brand,” said Cousins, whose Twitter handle has remained @KirkCousins8 throughout his career. “No. 8’s always been my number up until the last couple years, and so hopefully I can go back to it and the fans will be OK with it.”
Besides, Cousins said with a smile, “I’ve always felt like I’ve looked good in No. 8.”
“I enjoy wearing it and it’s a clean number,” he said. “It’s been good to me in the past, so hopefully it’ll be good to me in the future.”
As for Roberts, Cousins said he’s left his burgundy and gold No. 12 in good hands.
“Hopefully he wears that No. 12 with pride,” Cousins said.
IN OTHER REDSKINS UNIFORM NUMBER NEWS:
– Wide receiver DeSean Jackson joked about trying to get Robert Griffin III to let him wear his beloved No. 10 with the Redskins, that’s not going to happen. Jackson, according to this tweet from the team store, will wear No. 11:
– No. 11 was being worn by wide receiver Aldrick Robinson, whose new number officially hasn’t been determined yet.
– The Redskins signed free agent safety Ryan Clark yesterday, as well, who has worn No. 25 throughout his career (including previously with the Redskins). That number was being worn by running back Chris Thompson, so for now, we’re told Clark will wear 25 in the red jersey and Thompson will wear 25 in the white jersey at practices until they get that figured out. You can have players wearing duplicate numbers in the preseason, as long as they’re on different sides of the ball.
– Cornerback Chase Minnifield — who had also been wearing No. 25 with the Redskins — will now switch to No. 38.
– Still no official word on the uniform number for quarterback Colt McCoy, who was signed Thursday by the Redskins. McCoy wore No. 12 at Texas and with the Cleveland Browns, and wore No. 2 in his role as a backup quarterback with the San Francisco 49ers.
Tags: Andre Roberts, Chase Minnifield, chris thompson, DeSean Jackson, Kirk Cousins, redskins, Ryan Clark, uniform numbers, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 21 Comments »