Two of the highest ranking personnel evaluators in the Washington Redskins organization shared a scout’s perspective with a crowd of fans Monday night at Ruth’s Chris in Arlington, Va.
Director of Player Personnel Scott Campbell and Director of Pro Personnel Morocco Brown mingled with fans during a cocktail hour before sitting down with Larry Michael for an approximately hour-long question-and-answer session at the official steak house of the Washington Redskins. The event was one of a series of meet-and-greets with fans the team held throughout the past season.
Campbell and Brown were cautious but remarkably candid in a number of areas.
- Campbell said scouts “study greatness” as much as they watch film. He said personnel men research individuals such as Tom Brady and Alfred Morris to see what made them successful as low-round draft picks. Campbell said “heart” is the hardest asset to evaluate – especially in a short time – because it’s not a tangible stat or a piece of film they can look up on command. Only a player’s teammates and coaches know if the athlete has a winning personality.
- Brown said adding depth in the offensive line was a priority. The team has signed Mike McGlynn and Shawn Lauvao in free agency. “Football hasn’t changed that much over the years. It’s still blocking and tackling,” Brown said. “You want to start on the line.”
- Brown emphasized the importance of competition not just on the offensive line, but across the roster as a whole.
- Campbell would not point out his favorite quarterback from the 2014 draft class, but he did say he thought Johnny Manziel would have a career in the NFL. He said the Redskins have a franchise quarterback in Robert Griffin III, and the goal is to build pieces around him.
- Campbell said the $36 million salary cap penalty imposed on the Redskins in 2012 limited the team’s options for acquiring “blue-chip” talent that could have compensated for the early-round draft picks it traded away to move up and select Robert Griffin III, but the club’s NFC East title in the quarterback’s rookie season was a testament to the character of the players. The penalty has been lifted, and the Redskins have been active in free agency.
Tags: Morocco Brown, redskins, ruth's chris, scott campbell
Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »