The Washington Redskins are taking the methodical approach to free agency, but the equipment guys are working overtime, doling out numbers to the new faces in town.
So far, the big news is that linebacker Adam Hayward will be wearing No. 55, for at least the offseason portion of the schedule. I emphasize that because there’s always a chance he changes his number for the regular season.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
For the record, No. 55 was last worn by linebacker Nick Barnett in 2013. Barnett is currently a free agent and will need to adjust his wardrobe if he returns.
Other offseason signings were also assigned numbers and are as follows:
- Gabe Miller switched everything except his name, switching to linebacker from tight end and taking No. 94. This number was last worn by Adam Carriker, who was released this offseason.
- Center Kevin Kowalski was assigned No. 61, a number that has not been adorned in Washington for several years. By my research, the last No. 61 in burgundy and gold was worn by Casey Rabach in 2010.
- Receiver David Gettis was assigned No. 14 this offseason, a number last worn by Durant Brooks in 2008. Yeah, that Durant Brooks.
- Robert Malone, who is officially the only punter on the roster, has been assigned No. 3. For fans over the age of 5, I don’t think I need to remind you that the last No. 3 in your programs was Hunter the Punter in 2009.
- Ryan Mouton, a familiar face from training camp 2013, has switched from No. 34 to No. 35, a number last worn by running back
Evan Royster in his rookie season of 2011.Chris Thompson in 2013.
As the Redskins make more signings, there will be more number assignments, but probably none as exciting as the first.
Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »