• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Experts Give Thoughts On Kirk Cousins

Posted by Stephen Czarda on December 17, 2013 – 10:04 am

(AP Image)

(AP Image)

Not bad, Captain Kirk. Not bad.

48 hours removed from a 381-yard, three touchdown, three turnover performance in his first start of the season, here’s a roundup of what certain football personalities and reporters had to say about quarterback Kirk Cousins’ performance vs. Atlanta:

Chris Cooley on Monday Morning Redskins Roundup:

“What I do like about what Kirk did is, I listened to him after the game, is he said ‘We didn’t win the game. I didn’t do enough for this team to win the football game. Those two picks? They were on me. That fumble? That was on me. The two-point conversion, ultimately I will take that was well, that is on me. We have to find a way to get better and we will get better.’ I like that he is able to take that responsibility as a young player to understand what he needs to do better to make his team better because he played an outstanding football game for the most part. You take away four plays and Kirk played a very, very good football game.”

Stephen A. Smith on First Take:

“He threw for over 300 yards, he had three touchdown, he did have three turnovers and obviously didn’t convert the two-point conversion. I also take into account that fact that he was playing against five rookies on the Falcons defense and there were in their secondary. I look at it from the standpoint that he was good, he showed some skills, I definitely think he belongs on this level and he can do some things.”

Skip Bayless on First Take:

“I like Kirk Cousins, I think he’s pretty good. I hope he plays well enough, but not well enough that he beats the Dallas Cowboys next week.”

Whatever, dude.

Deion Sanders on NFL AM:

“He showed that he can play the game. I mean this is fresh off of the bench. He ain’t done nothin’ all year. You come in and throw for 381—that’s almost 400 yards.”

John Keim of ESPN on his postgame observations post:

“An underrated part of Kirk Cousins‘ game is his ability to say the right things. Cousins has made only two starts, but his handling of the postgame questions speaks volumes about his maturity. He’s not afraid to put the blame on himself; it certainly was warranted on his two interceptions. No one else was at fault. He took the blame on the failed two-point conversion; Atlanta played it well, though, yes, Josh Morgan was open (Pierre Garcon was the primary read and Desmond Trufant blanketed him). So it’s not all on Cousins. And when he talked about his successes, it was always about what the other guy did to help him — Fred Davis made a great catch; Pierre got open. It’s not an act; this is how Cousins comports himself. I don’t know what sort of quarterback Cousins eventually will become, but he has this part down pat.”

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Experts Give Thoughts On Kirk Cousins”

1. By akacraney on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

Last year I stood by RG111, but this year , I’ll say it again, he’s just not ready to play. Cousins should have been playing the entire year. It seems the entire Offense also agreed.( By the up tempo performance this week.) The “D” on the other hand is just not playing. Whether it be the game plan or if they just gave up on this year. There is a question to be asked, Should they tear down this defense with trades or get a new defensive coordinator? I personally believe there is enough talent on this defense, excluding the backfield, to win games.
    So Kirk, you did do enough to win the game, the D let you down. Don’t blame yourself for the poor decisions the “Team Administrator”s” made from the beginning of the year. I’m sorry to say that RG111 may be another one year wonder, in which this team seems to be used to. Good Luck.

2. By thekbp on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Keim’s take was (to me) spot on in that one of the most interesting things about Kirk Cousins is how well he’s handled all of this drama – unlike ANYONE ELSE in the building.

I’m thinking that Kirk might not be long for DC, but whomever acquires his services is getting a QB with a lot of potential. And one who’s best attribute seems to be his brain.

Oh, and shut up, Voldemort! The Redskins WILL beat the Cowboys even if BMitch suits up at QB! HTTR!!

3. By thekbp on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

4. By nootinvells on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

7 turnovers and the defense kept us in the game

5. By Robyn Stultz on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

I have been a Redskins’ Fan since the 1970’s. I am disgusted at the drama with this TEAM that I feel is being cause by 1 Player. Football is a TEAM Sport and is a 53 Man Roster, not 1 and 52. If this TEAM is built around 1 Player, I will be hanging up my apparel and will be done. How sad, as I have followed this TEAM for the most part of my life! The starting Quarterback that played against the Atlanta Falcons is a TEAM Player and had the TEAM behind him on the Field this past Sunday. He was 4-0 in Pre-Season. If he had started, the Washington Redskins may not be where they are now.

I saw this coming at the beginning of the Season, with the “self serving” attitude of the 1. How sad that 1 felt above and was put above the other 52.

6. By Eric on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

Why do I have a feeling that Cousins is that next super star athlete that 20 years from now people will be calling an all time personnel blunder on us for not knowing?

Well, maybe it’s because this team has failed completely at just about every possible opportunity to make the proper personnel decisions, with the obvious exception of drafting #21 S. Taylor, over the past 25 years. Is it just me or do we always end up on the wrong end of the trade or free agent signing?

The very first thing this admin did upon their arrival was fixing parts that weren’t broken. We actually had a QB, remember J Campbell? Remember the def and the days that we could at least count on a close game? Why did we change to a 3-4? Every single person on the Def was brought in for the 4-3 and it was pretty dang good, not the best but certainly good enough to be a contender. All these donkeys had to do was fix the offense.

So here we are with RGIII and Cousins. Will the admins be smart enough to realize that RGIII has the knees of a 40 year old and no matter how much we buff the paint, this car will always break down on us. Or will they realize that we actually have a QB many teams are just drooling over and bite the bullet and admit that he’s our best bet moving forward?

Oh, I bet we trade him for a couple 3rd rounders, maybe a 2nd and a 5th? And who ever gets him will end up an instant contender or at least on the doorsteps. Mean while ever Redskin fan will cringe every, single time a finger is laid on our QB for next 10 years? If he lasts that long.

Well Redskins nation. A toast. Here’s to this coming offseason. The best time of the year for us. And we can start looking forward to it again next October.

7. By Eric on Dec 17, 2013 | Reply

Oh and by the way. I knew there was a major dysfunction taking place when F. Davis was benched at the beginning of the season. That was pretty obvious.

I think it’s a safe bet to assume that all this drama is in due to the BS going on with Snyder and RGIII. No one on the coaching staff or depth chart was cool with what was going on. You hear good teams talking about players buying into the system and believing and putting in 100% effort where ever possible.

I can’t wait for April.

8. By Robyn Stultz on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

The Washington Redskins do need to get “Back to Football” and can only do such when the “drama” ends.

Disgusting! RGIII’s Father trying to get the Baylor Coach for Him! I find it “incomprehensible to read the “drama and distractions” that RGIII is creating for this TEAM. No wonder many want to leave and no longer be a part of what once was the Washington Redskins’s TEAM

If this TEAM is built around the “1″, I will be hanging up my Redskins apparel. How sad!

May the TEAM Player, Kirk Cousins, who played a great game against the Atlanta Falcons stay. May the self centered one go, take his Father and the “drama” with him, so the Redskins TEAM can get back to focusing on Football and WIN Games!

My Vote – Coach Shanahan and Kirk Cousins should stay, then the focus will be on Football and Winning will once again be a tradition for this TEAM!

9. By DC's Son on Dec 20, 2013 | Reply

Josh Morgan is healthier and should stay on the team. He and Santana…

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Dec 18, 2013: Week 16 NFL Predictions: Fantasy Sleepers Set for Huge Games » Fantasy Football News Hub