• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 2:55 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Levi's Stadium before the Redskins vs. 49ers game on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 7:55 PM - 8:25 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 8:55 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.

Coach’s Turn: Mike Shanahan At The Mic

Posted by Stephen Czarda on November 4, 2013 – 10:20 am

(AP Image)

(AP Image)

The Redskins are going to make nail clipping a whole lot easier if they keep this up.

Like all of you, adrenaline was pumping through my veins and my palms began to sweat profusely once the Chargers got inside Redskins territory on their last drive.

Then when Danny Woodhead dove towards the pylon—well I realized that I could never impersonate head coach Mike Shanahan.

Instead of turning his back away from the action, he looked on with as calm of a look as you’ll ever see from him.

After his defense held the Bolts out of the end zone and the offense charged down the field and scored the game-winner, Shanahan dropped the perseverance pipe bomb.

On the game:

“I told the team afterwards that we needed to play 60 minutes. I didn’t know it was going to be longer than that, so I was really proud of the way the guys played, especially when it’s first-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 20-some seconds left. And then to keep that drive going once we got the kickoff, we were fortunate to get the toss and did of a heck of a job finding a way to finish the drive.”

On what a win like this can do for the team moving forward:

“I think it tells your guys that anything’s possible if you don’t give up – perseverance. As we’ve talked about in the past, I feel very good about our guys. They work extremely hard. We let some opportunities sneak away from us. We had a chance to put it away and we didn’t, but we kept on fighting and found a way to get it done and that just shows you a lot about who we are with guys fighting for 60-plus minutes.”

On the performance of fullback Darrel Young:

“Well, ‘DY’ [Young] does a heck of a job for us – on special teams, as a fullback, he can actually go in there and work as a tight end. And we run so many running plays with a halfback and he’s a blocker – they lose him. And so to put him in that situation says a lot about our running game, our offensive line. And DY does have the skills to make people miss, so that doesn’t happen very often – when you give it to the fullback down there and he finds a way to get it in three different times – but it didn’t surprise me.”

On if he has experienced a win like this in his coaching career:

“Yes, I have. I can’t remember when, but I can guarantee it – 40 years, I’ve had a few of those. Yeah, there are a couple of those miracle games sometimes that you look back and the ball bounces your way. But with this one what I saw in the end zone, I thought it was just short. I thought the ball hit the pylon initially from the sideline and then when I looked up in the cameras I thought we had a chance. I didn’t know for sure.”

Tags: ,