• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 11, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

The Play/Call That Changed Momentum

Posted by Stephen Czarda on September 24, 2013 – 2:52 pm

(AP Image)

(AP Image)

In the most deflating moment of the Washington Redskins season, the team was snake-bitten by the “Calvin Johnson” rule named after the Detroit Lions’ All-Pro wide receiver. In the fourth quarter of Sunday’s game Aldrick Robinson, who has a history of burning secondaries on the long ball, broke free and caught a beautifully flung Robert Griffin III pass that had the football gods standing endorsement.

For a five-minute span it appeared that the Redskins had finally turned the page on a disappointing start—in similar fashion to his touchdown sprints against the Cowboys and Eagles last year too.

But the elated crowd response was short-lived, as Ed Hochuli ruled that the third-year receiver did not maintain possession of the pigskin all the way through and the ball “was rolling on the ground”.

(Courtesy SBNation)

(Courtesy SBNation)

“When I saw the replay, I saw that the ball was sliding on the ground, but I for sure caught the ball,” Robinson said after the game. “I had the ball in my left hand, but the camera view was on the right side and then I had it in my right-side hand.

“I secured the catch and I got up knowing that I secured the catch. When everyone was down, I saw that everyone wasn’t as excited as I was, so it was kind of strange to me. When I saw the replay, I saw what everyone else saw.”

Lions head coach Jim Schwartz, who’s been on the wrong end of the complete possession call many a time before, said he knew right away that is was an incompletion.

“When we saw it, it was pretty obvious that it was going to get overturned. It was the exact same play that’s happened a bunch of times. I’m not known for my calm [nature] or anything like that, but if that wouldn’t have been overruled, I would have had a difficult time.

I might’ve had a conniption – whatever that is. I’m sort of wired in the game anyways. I don’t know if you noticed there, all the players on both teams moved back. They saw it, the coaches saw it, we saw it – that was what happened.”

It was one of two calls that went against the Redskins in the fourth quarter. The other was Griffin III’s fumble after his longest run of the season.

As they get back to work tomorrow, execution and fundamentals will be two elements the team will focus on to correct the wrongdoings and finally get a one in the win column.

They were correct calls,” Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan said. “Both calls were correct. Aldrick – the ball did hit the ground. Robert – you can go head-first, but you have to have ball security when you do hit the ground.

“We have to play cleaner and be more consistent.”

Tags:

5 Responses to “The Play/Call That Changed Momentum”

1. By wallace m. tucker on Sep 24, 2013 | Reply

I BELEIVE ALDRICK CAUGHT THIS BALL AND HIS MOMENTOM CARRIED HIM OVER THE BALL. NOTICE THE BALL IS NOT ROTATING IN THE FORWARD MOTION,AS IF IT WERE ROLLING ON THE GROUND. NO,IT IS SLIDEING BECAUSE ROBINSON HAS THE BALL! WE WERE ROBBED OF A TOUCH DOWN!BAD CALL BY THE OFFICIAL.HTTR!

2. By Aron on Sep 25, 2013 | Reply

Sorry, biggest redskin fan here, but the pass was incomplete. Aldrick went to the ground with the ball in his right hand and came up with the ball in his left… inbetween switching is where the ball hit the ground. This play lost the game for us so it breaks my heart, but it was an imcomplete pass.

3. By CT on Sep 25, 2013 | Reply

He should have continued momentum by falling in the endzone with his back touching hitting the ground and not turning to break the plane going forward. He would never have dropped the ball it would have stayed secured against his chest!!!!

4. By Scott on Sep 25, 2013 | Reply

Only two guys on this team have really good hands and that’s Moss and Garcon. If you notice on Sunday’s they catch everyting with their hands, not their chests. You don’t bobble or fumble when you catch with your hands. This GIF of Robinson clearly shows a guy catching with his chest, and therefore its not a secure way to hang on to the ball when you fall.

5. By wallace m. tucker on Sep 25, 2013 | Reply

I HAVE BEEN A REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1961! THAT RECEPTION WAS MAINTAINED.BECAUSE OF THE ANGLE OF THE CAMERA I BELIEVE AN ERROR WAS MADE BY THE OFFICIALS. I CANNOT SEE THE BALL ROTATING ON THE GROUND,CAN ANY OF YOU? THE BALL JUST SEEMS TO SLIDE ALONG THE GROUND.ROBINSON MADE THE CATCH WITH HIS LEFT HAND AND HIS RIGHT HAND KEPT THE BALL FROM ROTATING. OH YEAH! I AM A DIE HARD REDSKINS FAN,OLD SCHOOL!HTTR!