• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Darrel Young The Quarterback?

Posted by Stephen Czarda on July 29, 2013 – 10:36 am

(AP Image)

(AP Image)

For the most part, fullback Darrel Young’s role on a loaded Washington Redskins offense is fairly defined.

Whether it’s being the lead blocker for the running back, an occasional carry or surprising the Philadelphia Eagles with a touchdown on a Robert Griffin III pass, Young’s flexibility has created a distinct role.

What if I told you that his job duties could include his yet to be used cannon of an arm?

Raise your hand if you knew that Young was the Redskins’ emergency third string quarterback last season.

For the all but one of you who didn’t know that little tidbit, Young would have moved up to behind center in the very unlikely event that the first two quarterbacks couldn’t finish a game.

Don’t think, though, that Young’s insertion would all of a sudden have made the Redskins a 100 percent run heavy team.

He’s got, in his words, an NFL caliber arm.

“Honestly, I can throw it 60 to 65 yards,” Young said. “I mean I’ve got accuracy, but I can’t tell you how good it’s going to get there.”

So wobbly, Hail Mary bombs.

“I can throw it,” Young said with a grin. “I played quarterback in high school so I have experience.”

Unfortunately, there are no VHS tapes out there from Young’s days at Amityville High School. If there were, they’d be hidden in some sort of back closet collecting dust. And if we did find them, we’d show you why he’s a fullback today.

Young has shown some speed in the past, but rarely do you see his bulky frame getting into a full Robert Griffin III-esque sprint. So when I asked him if he’d be more of a scrambler opposed to a pocket passer, he said he’d sprinkle a little bit of both into his game plan.

“I think I can do it all. Honestly, I’d just do what the coaches tell me to do. If it’s handing off the ball to Alfred Morris or Roy Helu, Jr., I’ll just do what I’m supposed to.”

So maybe he’ll start off his first few drives by handing off the ball. While it may seem designed, his decision would actually be a way to lull the defense to sleep.

“I think other teams would underestimate me throwing so I think I’d be able to throw a touchdown.”

Deception—it isn’t just about the read-option anymore.

Tags: