• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Rookie Spotlight: Baccari Rambo

Posted by Stephen Czarda on July 26, 2013 – 1:01 pm

(AP Image)

(AP Image)

Each day during training camp, the Redskins Blog will be highlighting one rookie as they participate in their first professional camp and try to find their way onto the final roster. Today’s spotlight is on safety Bacarri Rambo.

Despite being drafted in the sixth round of the draft this past April, safety Bacarri Rambo is already making a large impact on the Washington Redskins.

In the afternoon practice session yesterday, Rambo intercepted quarterback Kirk Cousins to “oohs” and “ahhs” by a record-breaking crowd for the first interception of training camp. Even though he hasn’t taken an NFL snap yet, Rambo showed the poise of a season veteran.

“I’m just trying to get out there and play and help the team as much as I can,” Rambo said. “That’s all.”

Making plays that require the perfectly timing and skill that he showed on first Redskins interception would certainly help the team in its pursuit of a fourth Lombardi Trophy. If he has the privilege of hosting the trophy in his first year, though, don’t expect him to consider his football career complete.

“If I get one my first year I’d be very excited,” Rambo said of a Super Bowl victory. “But I’m still gonna work hard like I don’t have one, because I’m not just trying to not only get one. I want lots of them.”

Playing Under Raheem Morris

Washington Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris is a player favorite in the locker room. Ask any of the 15 defensive backs that are currently at training camp, and they’ll confirm their admiration for him.

Last January, Morris was hired in his position after a three-year stint as Tampa Bay’s head coach. Having a coach like Morris with an extensive background in the field is helping make Rambo’s transition that much easier.

“It’s a great experience,” Rambo said with a smile. “He’s a great coach; he knows how to relate to the players. We all have a great chemistry together.”

Instead of intricate football jargon, Morris breaks the schemes into a simplistic language, allowing Rambo to simply concentrate on making big plays like he did yesterday.

“I can relate to him very well,” Rambo stated. “He slows the game down. He speaks in a language to makes things simple.”

Why He Plays Safety

Do a quick search through University of Georgia’s football record book and you’ll spot Rambo at the top of the school’s all-time interception list.

Like most high school football players, Rambo played on both sides of the pigskins, dominating fellow student-athletes in the process.

When it came time to recruit Rambo, though, schools were unsure of where they wanted to play him. Instead, he was listed as an athlete.

You can thank Georgia for making Rambo the football magnet that he is today.

“When I committed to Georgia, I got in during the summer and they brought me in and decided to go play safety,” Rambo said. “So I just took advantage of it and tried to get better at that position. They felt like that’s where I could be my best at. So I just got out there and worked hard and it just kept growing on me.”

Five W’s And One H

Who is your role model?

“I’d have to say my parents.”

What is there to do in Donalsonville, Ga.?

“Outdoors activities like fishing, riding four-wheelers, and I’ve got my friends there, but there’s nothing really to do there though. I just really enjoy being at home and being with my family.”

Where were you when you were drafted?

“I was home with my family and my girlfriend.”

When did you start playing football?

“When I was five.”

Why is UGA the dog such a big deal?

“It’s U.G.A. His name is the abbreviation for UGA and he’s the mascot and that’s a great school so of course you gotta with UGA. I’m kind jealous of the he’s living. He’s riding on the airplanes and has his own room and we have to have a roommate.”

How many times has a Rambo movie reference been made to you?

“It’s hard to keep count. If I had quarter for every time someone asks me about a Rambo movie I’d be rich right now.”

Tags: ,