• Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 2:55 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Levi's Stadium before the Redskins vs. 49ers game on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 7:55 PM - 8:25 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 8:55 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.

Friend Walks, So Logan Paulsen Shaves

Posted by Brian Tinsman on July 15, 2013 – 4:15 pm

IMG_5194

Stepping up as the starter last season, Redskins tight end Logan Paulsen stepped into the media spotlight and earned a number of flattering nicknames for his hard-nosed play and grizzled appearance.

“Lumberjack,” from his starting quarterback Robert Griffin III. “Neanderthal,” from his offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. “Jesus,” from long snapper Nick Sundberg.

In a league where most players grow some facial hair during the season, Paulsen stood out for never trimming or stylizing his face sweater. By the time minicamp rolled around this spring, Paulsen’s beard reached halfway down his chest.

But the beard was a matter of principle, not fashion, as Paulsen grew it in support of his friend and former UCLA teammate Nick Ekbatani, recovering from a motorcycle crash that led to amputation.

Two weeks ago, Ekbatani sent Paulsen a video of him walking for the first time back home in California.

“We saw Nick right at the beginning of the offseason when I went back to visit my parents,” he said. “He was still working through some things in rehab, and he seemed like he was doing well, but it still seemed a little ways off.

“It’s been about two and-a-half months since then and he’s doing well now. He’s making progress day-by-day.”

Paulsen said he found out about his friend’s accident almost one year ago and had been growing the beard ever since. Everyday activities–including eating and looking at his own reflection–have dramatically changed with his summer shear.

“The first couple days when I was walking around the house, I’d walk past a mirror and do a double-take,” he said, still shaking his head. “I didn’t recognize myself.”

The worst part about shaving: “When I’m contemplating, there’s nothing there to pick at and help my thought process.”

The best part(s) about shaving: “I got a lot of food stuck in there. My wife hated it. When we’d go out, she would have to kind of clean me up. It was gross. It got really gross, man. Towards the end, just to eat dinner, I’d have to tie it up just so it didn’t end up full of food. It was really rough there for a bit.”

When Paulsen watched his friend’s video, he shaved for the first time in a year and was surprised at how sensitive his skin underneath had become. Ever the supportive spouse, Kelly Paulsen stood by her man’s beard, but celebrated the shave process.

“She cried when I shaved. She was happy–she was so happy,” he said. “Moving forward, I don’t think I’ll ever grow it that long again. I can say I did it, but there’s nothing to motivate me to do it again.”

That’s not to say that we will see a baby-faced No. 82 on the gridiron.

Paulsen admitted that he will likely have “some” facial hair this season, seeing as things “including personal appearance go by the wayside during football season.”

At least he can save on his shampoo bill.

“I was really using a lot of shampoo between the long hair on top and my face,” he said. “I use Garnier Fructis. It has a semi-masculine bottle so I can bring it in the locker room. It’s not like Herbal Essences that’s covered in flowers and all kinds of stuff. You can’t be doing that. You have to save face somehow.”

And now he can shave face as well.

But don’t despair, beard lovers, Logan’s beard will live on in his 2013 roster headshot:

Logan Paulsen

8 Responses to “Friend Walks, So Logan Paulsen Shaves”

1. By goskins44 on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Dude is a class act! Glad he is a Redskin!

2. By Julian on Sep 30, 2013 | Reply

Nothing like getting rid of your beard to stop the food problem! I actually think he looks better with the beard, lol. I guess if you got rid of a beard that big it would be hard to recognize yourself, Ha ha. However, at least it for a good cause, right?

3. By http://Palmera01.Wordpress.com/2010/08/03/herbal-supplements-and-common-plants/ on Oct 18, 2013 | Reply

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding
    more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.

1. 5 Trackback(s)

2. Jul 16, 2013: Daily Slop: Redskins Listed as 8th Most Valuable Sports Franchise by Forbes; A 'Monster' Season for Fred Davis? | Breaking Sports News
  3. Jul 16, 2013: Daily Slop: Redskins Listed as 8th Most Valuable Sports Franchise by Forbes; A 'Monster' Season for Fred Davis? | RSN
  4. Jul 16, 2013: Daily Slop: Redskins Listed as 8th Most Valuable Sports Franchise by Forbes; A 'Monster' Season for Fred Davis? - iSports News
  5. Jul 18, 2013: Logan Paulsen Shaves Beard After Injured Former Teammate Walks Again - Caric Sports Management
  6. Jul 22, 2013: The Redskins Blog | The Redskins Competitive Tight End Battle