• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Bacarri Rambo’s Unique Nickname

Posted by Stephen Czarda on July 3, 2013 – 4:04 pm

(AP Images)

(AP Images)

With 22 days until the start of training camp, the Bon Secours Training Center won’t be alone in making its debut to Washington Redskins fans.

Former University of Georgia Bulldog Bacarri Rambo will be participating in his first training camp after being drafted by the Burgundy and Gold in April with the 191st pick.

With 16 career interceptions during his time in Athens, the safety has a share of the school’s all-time interceptions record along with former Super Bowl VII MVP Jake Scott (who finished his career with the Redskins).

Rambo’s extensive, ballhawking resume has been well documented through the years, but what hasn’t been known by most is his nickname.

Until now.

Redskins Nation, let me introduce “Goo” Rambo.

In one of the more recent installments of our Google + Hangout Series, Rambo along with 2013 NFL Draft partner Phillip Thomas sat down with a horde of local media and one fan to chat about their journeys from college superstars to the newest members of a division championship squad.

While the two certainly had more than a fair share to speak about in terms of their on the field production, I wanted to know more about their lives off the gridiron—especially when you have the extremely awesome name of Bacarri Rambo.

Even though Robert Griffin III was a shoo-in for most jerseys sold last year, he may have some competition from the rookie safety this year in the jersey sales race. I mean seriously, who doesn’t want a burgundy and gold Rambo jersey?

I’m sure his proud mother does. But when requesting his jersey, she’ll be asking for a Goo Rambo jersey. After all it’s the only name she’s ever called him.

“It was a childhood nickname that I had coming up. I never heard my mom call me by my first name,” Rambo said. “She would call me Goo.

It was Mr. Magoo, and then it went to Magoo, now it’s just Goo.”

I asked him why he hadn’t let the fans know of his nickname yet, and his response was simple—who wants to be called Goo when you can go with Rambo?

“I held it in, because I don’t want anyone to call me that,” he said. “Rambo sounds more vicious. My teammates just call me Rambo. My friends back at home hear, ‘Goo, Goo!’ and they ask who I’m talking to. I just say, ‘Oh, nobody.’”

If your just one of many who want to have the man himself sign your jersey at training camp later this month, call him over by his last name—otherwise he might not answer.

“Please, if you see me, don’t call me [Goo]. I won’t answer you.”

Hey, he asked nicely.

Tags:

8 Responses to “Bacarri Rambo’s Unique Nickname”

1. By Dennis Sentelle on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

I really think we may have finnaly found our true free safety.We have not really had a decent one since 21 Shaun Taylor. Hope Rambo can be half the safety Shaun was. HTTR.

2. By polofourme on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

This guy was a two time drug abuser in college and IMO is another Hernandez in waiting.. I hope this team is keeping an eye on this kid and did a complete and thorough background check….just keep him away from TW and Davis.

3. By Dennis Sentelle on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Polofourme Don’t you ever have anything positive to say about anyone.What did you do in College nothing or should i say High School.

4. By polofourme on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Of course I do have some positive things to say about my team…its just that they aren’t that many things I find with the team that is doing right…but the facts speak for themselves. Rambo is a TWO time drug abuser in college. Not once, but TWICE. And then we see guys like Hernandez, up for murder charges. Guys who dont think the rules apply to them…as was the case for Rambo who I consider selfish and immature. All I am saying is I hope they did a complete and thorough background check on this kid and they keep an eye on him and keep him away from guys like TW and Davis who have both been suspended for MULTIPLE drug violations…that’s MUTLITPE DRUG violations. College and graduate school….two under graduate degrees and an MPA..what about you? Still using finger paint to make pictures for your mother and father and probation officer? And as far as hoping he turns out like Taylor, he was one of the dirties players to ever don a Redskins jersey and Gibbs was at the end of his patience with regarding his play. I certainly hope Rambo espiers to a higher standard of play.

5. By Mac on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

That’s interesting about his nickname. According to his Instagram account he is dating Madison Meyers of UGA Soccer, and in an interview she gave her freshman year she says HER nickname is “Goo” because SHE looked liked Mr. Magoo as a baby. Here’s the link to the article: http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/102411aaa.html.

1. 3 Trackback(s)

2. Jul 4, 2013: Daily Slop: Moss Motivated By Younger Competition; Riggins Proudest of Saying 'Give me the Ball' - Todays Top Sports . com
  3. Jul 4, 2013: Daily Slop: Moss Motivated By Younger Competition; Riggins Proudest of Saying 'Give me the Ball' - iSports News
  4. Jul 4, 2013: Daily Slop: Moss Motivated By Younger Competition; Riggins Proudest of Saying 'Give me the Ball' | RSN