Nonetheless, our plane touched down earlier today in Indy, fresh off of an ice storm that impacted much of the Midwest Thursday night into Friday morning. But despite the bitter cold temperatures outside, we ventured over to Lucas Oil Stadium to catch the 2013 NFL Combine.
The five block trek through the city streets was worth the energy and excitement palpitating through the hundreds of media that were gathered together upon our arrival.
Today, kickers and punters took the field to show off their talents and abilities to NFL scouts representing all 32 teams. But as exciting as coffin corner punts are, we naturally turned our attention to the running backs and wide receivers who reported to the stadium today.
For the first time, these former college stars experienced a taste of what an NFL interview room feels like. The vibe inside was electric. The media were firing questions. Coaches, scouts and GMs were deep in analysis. And the athletes were prepared.
This was really the first time that media from around the country were able to see these college stars up-close and personal. And you can be assured that, like sharks in the water, each media member was in a feeding frenzy trying to breakdown each player’s answers as they took the podium.
We can only imagine that for each player there must have been an overwhelming feeling in what seemed to be a charged atmosphere. But beyond that speculation, the players handled themselves pretty well and there’s not much to report from today’s interview process. The real excitement will come when these players take the field tomorrow.
Over the next few days, we’ll try to bring you a little different perspective from this year’s combine. Our efforts will not necessarily be dedicated toward, for lack of a better term, ‘overanalyzing’ players who’s draft stocks may or may not climb and/or fall, but instead to bring you all the behind-the-scenes coverage that you may not get without watching boring NFL Network coverage for, well, 24 hours.
We know that Redskins fans lead busy lives and the truth of the matter is that a lot can change over the next two months before April’s draft.
Yes, we’ll talk about the players here and there in relation to the Redskins needs. And yes, we’ll bullet point the top storylines from around the league each day that we’re here. But we’ll also give you exclusive and unique Redskins content with a twist that no other media outlet will.
Why? Because we care about our fans and we want you all to dominate this Monday’s water cooler talk around the office.
Today’s headline news and tomorrow’s breaking news (in a 2-minute drill format):
- Larry Michael caught up with Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen in part one of a six part series from the NFL Combine in Indy. Check it out here.
- See what else the Redskins GM had to say about the team’s needs here and stay tuned for more coming soon!
- Earlier today, Dr. James Andrews told the NFL Network that QB Robert Griffin III’s rehab after surgery is “way ahead of schedule.” Click here for the full interview with Dr. Andrews (with video).
- NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock discussed where the Redskins might turn with the 51st overall pick.
- Changes are being considered for new sideline concussion test procedures. Stay tuned as we get more clarity on these developments.
- Tune in for the Redskins (and Google’s) first-ever Combine Google Plus Hangout, featuring Redskins.com’s Brian Tinsman, CSNWashington’s Tarik El-Bashir, and Bleacher Report’s Will Carroll. The Hangout will take place on the official Redskins Google+ Page live Saturday at 12:30pm and will feature fan questions, news and team analysis from Indianapolis.
- Look for a photo album tomorrow detailing the sights of the 2013 NFL Combine and stay tuned for more Redskins coverage!
For more complete coverage, be sure to follow Redskins social media. Here’s how:
- Facebook – www.facebook.com/redskins
- Twitter – www.twitter.com/redskins
- Google+ – www.google.com/+washingtonredskins
- Foursquare – www.foursquare.com/redskins
- Pinterest – www.pinterest.com/redskinsdotcom
- Instagram – http://instagram.com/redskins
Tags: bruce allen, combine, Google+ Hangout, indianapolis, larry michael, Lucas Oil Stadium, nfl combine, NFL Draft, redskins, RGIII, Robert Griffin III
Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »