• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Morris: ‘I Never Met The Rookie Wall’

Posted by Andrew Walker on January 6, 2013 – 12:23 pm

Washington Redskins running back Alfred Morris said he didn’t even know what a rookie wall was until he was asked about it by a couple of reporters this season.

In this case, ignorance was bliss, as the running back turned in one of the best rookie rushing campaigns in NFL history, with 1,613 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Rookie wall? What rookie wall?

Morris this past week was a guest on the NFL Network’s “Around The League,” and talked about his season, as well as a few other topics — including today’s NFC Wild Card round playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks at FedExField.

On the “rookie wall:”

“I never met the rookie wall. I didn’t even know about the rookie wall until a couple reporters asked me about it, so I was like, ‘Uh, nah, I don’t know about a rookie wall.’ I told them I wouldn’t hit it. I haven’t hit it, and I’m going to keep on rolling from here.”

On his growth throughout the season:

“I’m just getting more comfortable. I’m always ready, no matter what the situation is — whether I’m getting five carries, 35 carries; whether the season is 12 games, 16 games. It doesn’t matter. Whatever is thrown at me, I’m always ready for it. I mentally prepare myself for the worst. I hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I’m always ready for anything. I’m doing a lot of preventable maintenance — I’ve been able to just take care of my body and, like you said, get stronger as the year does on and just getting more comfortable allows me to just go run stronger, faster. Continue to just have fun — that’s the key to what I’ve been able to do. I just go out there and have fun.”

On breaking Clinton Portis’ single-season Redskins rushing record:

“It’s an honor. To be honest, I never came here chasing any records or anything like that. My first focus coming in was to make the team. With everything that happened and just to be able to break that record when nothing much was expected of you coming in, it’s definitely an honor. Just to surpass a running back that I looked up to — Clinton Portis — to be able to pass his record is an honor, as well. For him to tell me before the game that he wanted me to break it, and after the game he congratulated me in the locker room — that was huge.”

On what he can do to remain successful against a talented Seahawks defense:

“Just doing what I’ve been doing all year. Just keep running hard, even if it doesn’t open up at first, eventually it’ll open up. We just have to be patient. So I’m just going to go out there, keep running hard, keep doing what I’ve been doing and stay patient and hungry and we’ll see what happens.”

Tags: , , ,

2 Responses to “Morris: ‘I Never Met The Rookie Wall’”

1. By Nomaan on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

What Wall??? John Wall, he was not a rookie this year, and hasn’t played for the wizards this year as of yet. There is no Rookie wall for both RG3 and Morris they blew right through it!! Next year Redskins get RG3 back healthy and some of their defensive players like Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather, possibly Tanard Jackson, and an offensive tackle and TE Davis the Redskins will be a formiddable team that all other teams will fear!! HTTR!! great year 10-6 and a playoff apperance in RG3′s rookie year!!

2. By Robyn Stultz on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

I am excited about the upcoming year’s season…just will find it incredibly hard to wait until September. Alot of good things happened in 2012 and I am very proud of the Redskins TEAM Players! Morris did a great job this year and played well beyond his experience in the NFL. Job well done!