The weekly NFL rookie award that has seen nine Redskins winners in the first 15 weeks of the 2012 season has, yet, another Washington player among its candidates for Week 16’s games.
Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III today was named a nominee for the NFL Rookie of the Week for his performance Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.
The quarterback completed 16-of-24 passes for 198 yards and two touchdowns in the Redskins’ 27-20 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles.
First and foremost, here’s how YOU can vote for Griffin III as he tries to earn his seventh NFL Rookie of the Week award:
– To vote for Griffin III as the NFL Rookie of the Week, go to www.NFL.com/rookies from today through 3 p.m. (ET) Friday and — you guessed it — select Griffin III.
Griffin III on Sunday played his first game since missing the Week 15 game against the Cleveland Browns as he recovered from an LCL sprain in his right knee.
Though his knee still isn’t at 100 percent, Griffin III — who was wearing a bulky knee brace against the Eagles — still was able to guide yet another balanced offensive attack. Instead of using lots of read-option and tucking and running with the ball on several plays, Griffin III was content simply delivering passes from the pocket and handing the ball off to rookie running back Alfred Morris, who ran 22 times for 91 yards and a touchdown.
As mentioned earlier, the Redskins already can claim the best group of rookies in the entire NFL. In the 15 previous NFL Rookie of the Week votes, Washington players have won nine times. Griffin III has won six times, Morris twice and quarterback Kirk Cousins won last week for his terrific performance against the Cleveland Browns.
But just because the Redskins have a recent history of success with the Rookie of the Week award, it doesn’t mean Griffin III will automatically win this week. In fact, he’s facing some stiff competition (and familiar faces) this time around:
– Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers: The linebacker recorded 13 total tackles, nine solo and one interception in the Panthers’ 17-6 win over the Oakland Raiders.
– Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts: The quarterback completed 17-of-35 passes for 205 yards and one touchdown in the Colts’ 20-13 defeat of the Kansas City Chiefs. In the game, Luck broke Cam Newton’s record for most passing yards in a single season by a rookie quarterback in NFL history.
– Harrison Smith, Minnesota Vikings: The safety led the team with seven total tackles while adding one sack, one pass defended and one forced fumble in the Vikings’ 23-6 victory over the Houston Texans.
– Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks: The quarterback completed 15-of-21 passes for 171 yards and four touchdowns in his team’s 42-13 win over the San Francisco 49ers.
So make sure you vote Griffin III, and vote often.
Tags: Pepsi Max NFL Rookie Of The Week, Robert Griffin III, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments »