Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III today was named the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Month.
Randall Liu, the NFL’s Director of NFC Communications, tweeted the news a little earlier this morning:
Bradford, by the way, was named the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year that season.
In only three games in November, Griffin III completed 57-of-82 passes (69.1 percent) for 726 yards with eight touchdowns and a passer rating of 124.3. He also ran 29 times for 166 yards this month.
In his last two games, both against divisional opponents, Griffin III completed 33-of-42 passes (78.6 percent) for 504 yards with eight touchdowns. His passer rating of 146.3 in the past two weeks – now adjusted to include a recent scoring change that altered a Griffin III first-quarter pass to Pierre Garçon in Week 12 at Dallas to a seven-yard run – is the highest two-week rating by a rookie with at least 40 attempts in league history, according to Redskins Public Relations.
As we have been constantly pointing out here on the Redskins Blog, Griffin III’s second NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month is just the latest in a barrel full of awards for the Redskins quarterback so far this season, and include:
- NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month (September and November)
– NFC Offensive Player of the Week (two times)
– NFL Pepsi Max Rookie of the Week (four times)
– FedEx Air Player of the Week
Griffin III is also a nominee this week, again, for Rookie of the Week (click here to vote) and FedEx Air Player of the Week (click here to vote). Redskins running back Alfred Morris is also a candidate this week for Rookie of the Week for the second time this season.
Everytime Griffin III graces the field, he seems to break Redskins or league rookie records. His totals for pass completions (205), passing yards (2,497) and passing touchdowns (16) are all team rookie records, and his 642 rushing yards and six rushing touchdowns are both team records by a Redskins quarterback of any experience level.
Here’s some highlights of Griffin III’s season so far, thanks to the wonderful Redskins PR staff:
- Griffin III is the first member of an NFC East team to win the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award multiple times since former Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey won Rookie of the Month twice during the 2002 season.
- No player in the NFL with at least five pass attempts per game has a better passing rating in divisional games than Griffin III (138.4).
- Griffin III’s 146.1 passer rating in the last two weeks is the best among rookie passers with at least 40 attempts in NFL history.
- With 65 rushing yards Monday night against the New York Giants, Griffin III can break Cam Newton’s NFL record for rushing yards by a rookie quarterback (706).
The list goes on and on.
So here’s to Griffin III’s latest award. It won’t be his last.
Tags: NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month, Robert Griffin III, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »