Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III today was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week, the league announced:
It’s the second time this season Griffin III has been named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. He also earned the distinction after the Redskins’ Week 1 victory against the New Orleans Saints.
Here’s some nuggets about Griffin III and his most recent NFC Offensive Player of the Week award, according to Redskins Public Relations:
- Last Redskin to win Offensive Player of the Week twice in one season: Santana Moss (Weeks 2 and 16, 2005)
- Last Redskins QB to win Offensive Player of the Week twice in one season: Brad Johnson (Weeks 2 and 4, 1999)
- Griffin III is the first Redskins rookie at any position to win two Player of the Week awards in a season since the league began awarding them in 1984.
- Griffin III is the first rookie quarterback to win Player of the Week two times since the award began in 1984.
By taking in the information above, it’s safe to say that this doesn’t happen very often — especially for a rookie.
This week’s NFC Offensive Player of the Week distinction is just the latest in a slew of awards Griffin III has earned so far this season, which include:
- NFC Offensive Player of the Week (twice)
- NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month
- Pepsi Max Offensive Rookie of the Week (three times)
- FedExAir Player of the Week
Griffin III is also a candidate — again — for the Offensive Rookie of the Week. Fans can vote online until Friday at 3 p.m. by clicking here.
Here’s a few more nuggets about Griffin III before we part ways:
- Last week, Griffin III became the first rookie in NFL history with 200 passing yards, 75 rushing yards and 4 passing TDs in a single game.
- With 145 passing yards Thursday vs. the Dallas Cowboys, Griffin III can break Norm Snead’s team record for passing yards by a rookie (2,337, set in 1961).
- Griffin III is 94 rushing yards shy of breaking Cam Newton’s NFL record for rushing yards in a season by a rookie quarterback (706).
Tags: NFC Offensive Player of the Week, Robert Griffin III, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »