A Redskins rookie is nominated for this week’s Pepsi Max NFL Rookie Of The Week award, and his name is not Robert Griffin III.
Running back Alfred Morris, who rushed for 120 yards on 22 carries last Sunday vs. the New York Giants, is one of five rookie nominees this week — and it’s well overdue.
Don’t get me wrong: Griffin III and his almost-weekly nominations have been more than warranted. He’s the clear NFL Rookie of the Year frontrunner near the halfway point of the 2012 season, and has won three Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Week awards and was named the NFL’s Rookie of the Month for September.
But Morris is quietly building the best rookie running back campaign of the season. He leads all NFL rookies in rushing yards (658), attempts (138), yards per game (94) and 20-plus-yard rushes (five).
He’s on pace for about 315 carries for 1,504 yards and 11 touchdowns this season. Those are Pro Bowl numbers.
So, in other words, Morris deserves your vote in this week’s Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Week, and casting that vote is very easy.
- To vote for Morris as the “Pepsi Max NFL Rookie Of The Week,” go to www.NFL.com/rookies from today through 3 p.m. (ET) Friday and — you guessed it — select Morris.
Once Morris wins this award on Friday, they should just call it the “Pepsi Max Redskins Rookie of the Week.”
The other four candidates also had solid showings over the weekend:
- New England Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower recorded seven tackles and one sack in the Patriots’ 29-26 overtime win against the New York Jets.
- Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck completed 16 of 29 passes for 186 yards and added two touchdowns on the ground in the Colts’ 17-13 victory over the Cleveland Browns.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin gained 85 yards on 16 carries and scored one touchdown in the Buccaneers’ 35-28 loss to the New Orleans Saints.
- Minnesota Vikings safety Harrison Smith recorded five tackles and pulled in his first career interception, which he returned 31 yards for a score as the Vikings beat the Arizona Cardinals 21-14.
So make sure you vote Morris, and vote often.
Tags: Alfred Morris, Pepsi Max NFL Rookie Of The Week, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »