Before the season, many experts weren’t sure how Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III’s game would immediately translate into the NFL.
Sure, Griffin III came with lots of hype, winning the Heisman Trophy Award in 2011 while at Baylor and drawing comparisons to quarterbacks like John Elway, Cam Newton and Michael Vick.
But through two weeks of the regular season — and with an NFC Offensive Player of the Week award already under his belt — most can now agree that Griffin III has, thus far, lived up to the hype.
This notion was proven by NFL.com Around the League editor Gregg Rosenthal, who this week labeled Griffin III as “even better than advertised” for his power ratings of league quarterbacks.
Griffin III, the second overall pick in April’s NFL Draft, was joined by Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, the first overall pick in April, as “even better than advertised.”
“We’re hesitant to crown these guys just two weeks in, but man they look so good, so fast,” Rosenthal wrote. “The bar has been raised. Would you rather have Luck and RG3 this year or the tier below?”
“Even better than advertised” category is the fourth-best category on Rosenthal’s list, which includes:
– “Top Shelf:” Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay) and Tom Brady (New England)
– “Next level:” Drew Brees (New Orleans), Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh), Newton (Carolina), Peyton Manning (Denver), Eli Manning (New York Giants), Tony Romo (Dallas) and Philip Rivers (San Diego)
– “Knocking on the door:” Matt Ryan (Atlanta), Matthew Stafford (Detroit) and Joe Flacco (Baltimore)
– “Better than advertised:” Griffin III and Luck
– “Boxes of chocolates:” Michael Vick (Atlanta) and Jay Cutler (Chicago)
– “Middle of the pack:” Matt Schaub (Houston), Alex Smith (San Francisco), Sam Bradford (St. Louis), Andy Dalton (Cincinnati) and Josh Freeman (Tampa Bay)
– “Tier Hope:” Christian Ponder (Minnesota), Russell Wilson (Seattle), Carson Palmer (Oakland), Matt Cassel (Kansas City), Jake Locker (Tennessee), Mark Sanchez (New York Jets) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (Buffalo)
– “Prove us wrong:” Ryan Tannehill (Miami), Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville), Kevin Kolb (Arizona) and Brandon Weeden (Cleveland)
Griffin III gets his third chance to shine at 1 p.m. Sunday when the Cincinnati Bengals come to FedExField for the Redskins’ 2012 home opener. Perhaps a few more performances like he’s had thus far will bump him up Rosenthal’s scale.
Tags: Robert Griffin III, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments »