• Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., May. 01, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., May. 02, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., May. 05, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., May. 06, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., May. 07, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Alfred Morris Won’t Give Up His ‘Bentley’

Posted by Andrew Walker on September 19, 2012 – 5:09 pm

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Parked among the decked-out sport-utility vehicles and smooth, sporty rides at Redskins Park is a silver, 1991 Mazda 626 sedan that Alfred Morris just can’t give up.

Morris, a rookie running back, can most likely afford a nicer vehicle, but his ’91 Mazda — which is affectionately known as his “Bentley” — reminds Morris of his journey of playing at mid-level Florida Atlantic University to starting in his first two career games in the National Football League.

“It has some sentimental value to it now,” Morris said Wednesday before the Redskins headed out for practice. “It just keeps me grounded, where I came from and all the hard work for me to get to this point. So that’s what helps me.”

Morris said he didn’t have a vehicle at all until his junior year at FAU, so he certainly didn’t turn his nose up at “Bentley” when he had the chance to get it.

“I could’ve been like, ‘Ah, I don’t want this piece of crap,’” Morris said. “But I always wanted a car, and it was what I got.”

Learning to tame his “Bentley” wasn’t an easy task for Morris.

“It’s a stick-shift,” Morris said. “I had to teach myself how to drive it.”

Which made for some interesting road trips.

“It was rough,” Morris recalled. “I put my emergency lights on, and people would be driving behind me, and I’d be like, ‘My emergency lights are on — stop following me.’

“I’d be stalling at lights and stuff and just sitting there trying to get it started back up, and I’d be like, ‘I have emergency lights on. Why would you get behind me? You see the lights — go around.’”

Since that time, however, Morris has had some quality time to bond with his vehicle, considering he drove it more than 20 hours from South Florida to his new D.C.-area residence when he was drafted by the Redskins.

But how did he land on a name like “Bentley,” which is one of the more luxurious automobile manufacturers on the planet?

“My friends, when I first got it — it was kind of an eyesore,” said Morris, who then added that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

“But my friends just teased me like, ‘Man, what are you doing in that piece of crap?’ and I’d say, ‘Oh, you talkin’ ’bout that Bentley right there?’” Morris said. “The name just stuck, and eventually all my friends would be like, ‘Hey let me get a ride in the Bentley!’”

As it stands today, the Kelley Blue Book private-party value on Morris’ Mazda 626 is about $1,160. And that’s in perfect condition.

Also, that’s for a 1992 Mazda 626 model. Kelley Blue Book doesn’t even offer the option to go back to 1991.

Haters.

Anyway, Morris said he’ll likely buy a new car someday, but he plans on making “Bentley” a family heirloom.

“One day, my kids are going to drive that car,” Morris said with a laugh. “If it breaks down, I’m gettin’ it fixed. That’s just how I am.”

Tags: ,

61 Responses to “Alfred Morris Won’t Give Up His ‘Bentley’”

1. By Yvonne Morris on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Some people may not understand your sentimental value to the Bentley but I do. It’s funny how the simple things keep you humble. You are tribute to so many people. Keep up the good fight faith. Good things are coming your way.

2. By dan on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

New format?

3. By skinsfanwill on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I had that same car and it served it’s purpose many times over. Let em laugh, at least you have some values and some money will stay in your pocket. Spend your money on stuff that matters.

4. By poppyshoes on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I love the fact that he does not feel as though he needs to follow what he sees around him. Material possessions don’t make you a better person. Stay humble Alfred, it’s what “richly blessed” means.

Waaay too many athletes who’ve made millions are broke now wishing they had another opportunity. Antione Walker, on subway train looking for work, Holyfield, forclosure. And the list goes on.

5. By Mark on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Just saw this article about Morris’ car. There are “real” people all over this world. It’s nice to see an up and coming star stand up for his values and not be afraid to share them. This is an awesome teaching example for everyone to learn from. Nice job Alfred.

6. By uvq on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

yo alfred – “you rock” – but i got you beat. i drive a 1983 corolla. have a good yr.

7. By Gary on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Alfred, you rock!! Nice to know that you were raised with values and practice them in real life. Here’s hoping you have a fantastic career!! Buy a car when the time is right. Remember, a car is nothing but a depreciating asset. Except for a few very exotic cars they all go down in value. Hey, maybe you should just buy a more recent model used car! :-)

Best to you,

Gary

8. By jcrampton007 on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Al just knows that the way Shanny runs his backs, he might be forgotten before the bye. Lets hope it doesn’t happen though cuz this kid’s got some skills.

9. By G.v on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

It’s nice that he drives his old car. But he really doesn’t have a lot of money. He signed a contract that “only” gave him 124K signing bonus. His average salary over the next 4 years is 500K. Buying a new car wouldn’t make a lot of sense. Save your money Alfred! Smart kid…

10. By Peezo on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

yo, Shout out to this dude for not splurging on something as insignificant as a car. If it runs, drive it. With this news of Vince Young spending 6k at TGIFridays, it’s cool to see somebody bein smart with their money.

11. By kingcarlbanks on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Keep rolling kid, check out Barry Sanders, he drove the same Acura Legend for years after he got drafted. Guess that’s why he still has money and idiots like Vince Young is broke.

12. By Logan on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

I sold my first car last year and I was pretty sad about it. My mom had driven that car since I was 10, and passed it on to me when I got my license. This is an awesome story. Nice to see the rookie remembering his roots. Don’t let all the fame go to your head eventually!

13. By Bill from Jersey on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Morris is a credit to the Washington Redskins and a roll model for his children and the youth of this nation.
    P.S. Mr. Morris keep your feet on the ground.

14. By Julian on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

@G.v.

If you “only” made 500k in 4 years, I GUARANTEE you’d buy yourself a new car. I have no idea where you were going with that one lol.

15. By RedskinRich on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Good job young Man! Keep than humble attitude and study the men who have been most successful at your position as a Redskin. The men who have won championships and are Hall of Famer’s didn’t have end-zone dances and were certainly not punks. When you score, drop the ball and get to the sideline. The PAT team doesn’t need to see a bunch of idiots getting flagged for excessive celebration when they are getting ready to get that point we need to win.

16. By Brian on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Great story! An inspiration to all who value substance and class (cool) over outward style and flash (fool). And I’m a Packer fan! I am a fan of this guy though. My great-aunt who lived in DC for 50 years is smiling in heaven too, I’ll bet!!

As a driver of cars that have 4 figure value, I’ll say that he hit the sweet spot. High reliability, low cost of repair, no cost of ownership. Sooner or later Ford or GM or Chrysler is going to give this guy a ride because he deserves a new car for his hard work, not his ego.

17. By Richard A. on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

I am proud of you Alfred Morris and keep up the good works. You don’t need a high end car.

18. By Wincell on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

That is so freaking awesome. I’m an instant fan. Now you talking role model.

19. By Ed on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Alfred hang on to that money. Its easy to blow a million in one week but its hard to keep that money into your retirement. Because it doesn’t matter what salary you make. If you make a thousand or a million a week. It doesnt matter what you make becasue if you spend it all the end result will be the same, you will have nothing to show for.

20. By Capt John on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Nice to have so much true focus… I hope great things happen for AM both on and off the field….

21. By Joyce on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Love the story, but 20 hours to DC from Florida…..you could have run faster than that!

22. By Tony Southerland on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Have all my respect…..you stay true to yourseif and don’t go for the :look at me:

23. By Joe Morris on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Dear Alfred Morris!

I wanted to reach out to you and tell you how darn PROUD our Morris family is of you…..your humble ways and your accomplishments as a Washington Redskin!

My daughter Amanda went to FAU! She is 22 now. Our family grew up in Alexandria Virgina and we’ve been redskins fans all our lives!

My Dad’s name was Joseph Alfred Morris!

When we saw you score a touchdown and you signaled the OWL sign in the end zone we really cheered you on!

You are a great story and a real role model for young kids to look up to Alfred!

From all the Morris’ in Alexandria Virginia and South Florida…..welcome to the Redskins!

You’re part of the family now!

Sincerely,

Joe, Mary Ellen, Amanda, Austin, John, Greg, Joey, Mikey, Maria, Susie, Jon, Chris, Brad, Gavin, Daisey, Pat, Melanie, Tim, Sean, Kevin, Susan…and it goes on and on…………….MORRIS!

24. By Petey on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

How refreshing! I have a 1994 Ford Escort that is as ugly as sin, looks like it ran point in the battle of Fallujah (in Iraq) and the butt of many a joke. It has either 260 or 360K miles on it but I can’t remember which since the odometer only goes up to 99K. Get rid of it? Never! I’ll repair and drive until it drops for many of the same reasons you cited. I tip my hat to you. You and RG3 have make the Redskins my new favorite team. Hail to these Redskins!

25. By Ray Ban Wayfarer on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

Thank you for your good article,and look forward to your better work.

26. By gold buyers on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

I’m proud of Morris for keeping his old chariot. He must have gotten some good teachings on financial education. Most people know little about how to save for their future and for their retirement years. It takes perseverance and dedication, which also comes in handy for a pro football player.

1. 35 Trackback(s)

2. Sep 20, 2012: DMV: Alfred Morris’ Amazing Ride | Mr. Irrelevant, a D.C. Sports Blog by the Brothers Mottram
  3. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins RB Alfred Morris still drives a 1991 Mazda sedan (Picture) | Larry Brown Sports
  4. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins rookie takes $1,300 car to work - Todays Pro Sports | Todays Pro Sports
  5. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins rookie takes $1,300 car to work - Pro Sport Reviews | Pro Sport Reviews
  6. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins rookie takes $1,300 car to work - Pro Sports Journal | Pro Sports Journal
  7. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins rookie takes $1,300 car to work - Pro Sports Review | Pro Sports Review
  8. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins rookie takes $1,300 car to work - Daily Sports Digest | Daily Sports Digest
  9. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins Rookie RB Alfred Morris Driving 1991 Mazda 626 Worth Maybe $1,000 [PHOTOS] | BustedCoverage – Sports Gossip | Drunk Athletes | Hot Cheerleaders | Football News
  10. Sep 20, 2012: NFL Player Alfred Morris Still Drives a 1991 Mazda [Photo] | Rucuss
  11. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins Alfred Morris Still Drives A 1991 Mazda Sedan « thacover2
  12. Sep 20, 2012: Redskins Alfred Morris Still Drives A 1991 Mazda Sedan | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline
  13. Sep 20, 2012: Google Sports News
  14. Sep 20, 2012: Alfred Morris drives a $1300 car to Redskins Park | porscheautoworld.com
  15. Sep 21, 2012: Redskins’ Rookie Running Back Alfred Morris Stays Grounded By Driving a $1,000 Vehicle | Pro Player Insiders
  16. Sep 21, 2012: Alfred Morris drives a $1300 car to Redskins Park | Auto News Blog.net
  17. Sep 21, 2012: “Bentley”
  18. Sep 21, 2012: In Case You Need Another Reason To Think Vince Young Is An Absolute Dick » Wicked Improper
  19. Sep 21, 2012: “Bentley” « The Burning Platform
  20. Sep 23, 2012: Washington Redskins Alfred Morris drives a 1991 Mazda that he calls ‘Bentley’ | Off the Bench
  21. Sep 24, 2012: Quick Shift: A Hoon-worthy NFL Player? | Hooniverse
  22. Oct 1, 2012: Help Keep Your Car Appearing Showroom Fabulous | Original Stage Magazine
  23. Dec 2, 2012: Redskins Running Back Alfred Morris Was the Steal of the 2012 Draft | Know It All Football
  24. Dec 6, 2012: The Redskins Blog | VIDEO: Alfred Morris On ‘NFL AM’
  25. Dec 31, 2012: The Redskins Blog | 2012 In Review: Top 5 Blog Posts
  26. Jan 14, 2013: The Redskins Blog | Morris Recalls First Memories Of Griffin III
  27. May 13, 2013: Alfred Morris Is One of Few Remaining Role Models in Professional Sports - Jax Sports Net: Sports, News, Scores
  28. Jun 7, 2013: The Redskins Blog | What Is Morris’ Favorite Uniform Combo?
  29. Jun 17, 2013: The Redskins Blog | Redskins Second Year Duo ‘Real Deal’
  30. Jul 15, 2013: Athlete Whips: Big Ballers and Sweet Rides | Mentellect
  31. Jul 25, 2013: Alfred Morris’ Old Mazda Is Getting a Perfectly Sensible Makeover | Football Betting
  32. Jul 25, 2013: The Redskins Blog | Alfred Morris’ ‘Bentley’ Getting Tune-Up
  33. Aug 6, 2013: The Redskins Blog | Santana Moss Tells Of First Car Purchase
  34. Oct 15, 2013: The Redskins Blog | ‘Bentley’ Depicts Morris’ Lifestyle Perfectly
  35. Oct 16, 2013: Redskins Alfred Morris Gets 1991 Mazda Refurbished [PHOTOS] | The Urban Daily
  36. Dec 5, 2013: How Did Everybody Fail to Recognize Alfred Morris? » Fantasy Football News Hub