Three days after NFL.com released its full predictions for the 2012 NFL season, ESPN.com did the same.
And, much like the NFL.com analysts, the experts at ESPN aren’t looking for much from the Redskins this season.
In fact, ESPN’s folks aren’t even predicting a single award will come the Redskins’ way. At least one analyst at NFL.com predicted Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III would be named the offensive rookie of the year.
Twelve of the 16 ESPN experts predicted Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck would instead win that award. The other four picked Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson.
Similarly, 13 of 16 NFL.com experts tabbed Luck as their offensive rookie of the year; but, in contrast, none of them predicted Richardson would garner any rookie honors at all.
For Griffin III not to get at least one vote by the ESPN.com experts is surprising. Again, Luck right now probably deserves most of the love because he was the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft and displayed good control over the Colts’ offense during the preseason. But Griffin III, as I’ve said before, is the reigning Heisman Trophy Award winner, the No. 2 overall pick in April’s draft and also showed several flashes of success in the preseason.
Also, like the NFL.com predictions, the Redskins got no love in the rest of the ESPN.com categories, which include Super Bowl champion, NFC East division champion, NFC Wild Card teams, NFC champion, Coach of the Year, Most Valuable Player and Defensive Rookie of the Year.
Here’s where the rest of the NFC East teams fared in ESPN.com’s 2012 NFL predictions:
– Two experts predicted the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles, respectively, would win the Super Bowl. No other analysts predicted an NFC East team would even make it to the Super Bowl.
– Eight of the 16 experts predicted the New York Giants would win the NFC East Division crown. Six predicted the Eagles would win the division, while two predicted the Cowboys would take the East.
– Five experts predicted the Eagles would be an NFC Wild Card team; four tabbed the Giants as a Wild Card pick.
– Four analysts believe Eagles head coach Andy Reid will win the Coach of the Year award. One gave their vote to Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett.
– One expert believes Giants quarterback Eli Manning will be named NFL MVP.
– Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne got two votes for 2012 Defensive Rookie of the Year.
CHIME IN: What are your thoughts on these predictions? Feel free to comment below.
Tags: espn.com, experts, season predictions, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 8 Comments »