With the start of the regular season so, so close, several NFL analysts are reviewing their notes from the offseason and each team’s four preseason games and predicting which teams and players will be big winners in 2012.
And if you’re going by NFL.com’s 16 listed experts’ predictions, then the Washington Redskins don’t have too much to play for this season.
Out of the 208 possible categories in which the Redskins or their players could’ve been chosen in NFL.com’s official 2012 predictions, just one involves the burgundy and gold:
And that’s NFL.com analyst and writer Dave Dameshek predicting Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III winning the offensive rookie of the year.
Thirteen other experts predicted Indianapols Colts quarterback Andrew Luck will be the offensive rookie of the year. The two others chose Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon and Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, respectively.
Now, it’s not surprising that Luck is getting so much preseason love. He was the No. 1 overall pick in April’s NFL Draft and has displayed good control over the Colts’ offense thus far.
I’m just surprised Griffin III didn’t garner at least a couple more votes in this category. Though it absolutely never guarantees success in the NFL, Griffin III is the reigning Heisman Trophy winner (he beat out Luck in 2011, who also was the runner-up in 2010) and was the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.
The Redskins got no love in the rest of the categories, which include NFC title game appearance, Super Bowl XLVII champions, NFC East winner, NFC wild card teams, most passing, rushing and receiving yards, defensive rookie of the year, coach of the year, NFL Most Valuable Player and offensive and defensive players of the year.
It does appear, however, that the NFL.com experts think the NFC East in general could be pretty successful this season. To save you some time, here’s some highlights from their predictions:
- Seven have an NFC East team in the NFC title game (five for Eagles, two for Giants); two have the Eagles making and winning the Super Bowl.
– Nine predict the Eagles will win the NFC East; six tab the Giants as divisional champs; one gave the nod to the Cowboys.
– Four predict the Giants will be an NFC wild card team; two believe the Cowboys will be in NFC wild card hunt.
– Two believe Eagles running back LeSean McCoy will have the most rushing yards; one predicts Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray will take that title.
– One believes Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz will have the most receiving yards.
– One tabs Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne as the defensive rookie of the year.
– One predicts Eagles head coach Andy Reid will be named Coach of the Year.
– Eagles quarterback Michael Vick and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo each got one vote for NFL MVP.
– The NFC East dominated the predictions for Defensive Player of the Year: Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul got eight votes, while Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware garnered three votes.
CHIME IN: What are your thoughts on these predictions? Feel free to comment below.
Tags: nfl.com, predictions, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 13 Comments »