• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Video: Chris Cooley Says Goodbye

Posted by Andrew Walker on August 28, 2012 – 2:01 pm

If you’ve been a Washington Redskins fan the past eight-plus seasons, then it’s almost a sure bet you’re a Chris Cooley fan.

Cooley — the franchise’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end — was released Tuesday by the team, in a move head coach Mike Shanahan said was meant to give the two-time Pro Bowl selection a better opportunity to start elsewhere.

In one of the more classier moves I’ve seen in my time covering sports, Cooley addressed the media and announced his release, and had nothing but great things to say about the Washington Redskins, the organization and its fans.

Here’s the video. Try not to choke up watching this:

CHIME IN: What are your favorite memories of Chris Cooley with the Redskins? Feel free to comment below.

Tags: ,

352 Responses to “Video: Chris Cooley Says Goodbye”

1. By ccall93 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I won’t forget my first Chris Cooley jersey. It was the highlight of my christmas. Was the only thing I had asked for that year. I will frame that jersey, that I wore EVERY game. And hope his legacy moves on to another team.

2. By Rob on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!! Long live #47!!!!!! Is this team on Crack?

3. By JP on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Class Act…we love you Chris!!!

4. By Athena on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Speechless!!!!!!

5. By Diana on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What I can’t believe this.. Cooley was the man #47

6. By Art on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

OMG! He is too valuable to let go with those that have proven themselves to be unreliable at the position. The Skins will rue the day they let him get away. Sad day to be a fan….

7. By Dave on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

How is Paul, or Paulson, a better player than Cooley, or a better teammate than this?

Doesn’t Snyder know they weren’t booing all those times, they were saying Cooooooley? (If you watched the telecast, you’d know.)

8. By synacksyn on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

NOOOOO!!! Damn I still remember Capn Chaos in hot pants!!!

Cooley bleed Burgundy and Gold..and hated the cowboys…you will be missed

9. By Ravens_Fan2k12 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

smh first lavar nor cooley this is why this team will never have a winning season

10. By Cari on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What BS!!! Good luck in you r next adventure Chris!

11. By momma2monkeys on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Unbelievable. Good luck to you, Chris. You’ll be missed tremendously.

12. By Bud Miller on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This Sucks! Chris deserves more than anyone to be a member of this team. He was always the “go to” guy. We’ll miss you Chris.

13. By Adam Smith on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

As a huge Redskins fan, I wanna thank you for sticking it out for the franchise through thick and thin. Thanks for everything Cooley. It wont be the same going to the stadium and not hearing COOOOOOOOOLEEEYYYY when ya make a play.

Best Wishes Man!

14. By vanessa on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

we will miss you cooley! this ruins the season for me, just awful

15. By Bofa on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I am so bummed out by this move. This really sucks because the guy can still play and loves this team. Thats more then you can say about allot of players in the leauge. Wish you the best in the future Cooley!

16. By Elizabeth on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Totally disgusted! I wish Chris Cooley all the best. *Tears* Thanks for great memories.

17. By Marc on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

NOO – I don’t get this, unless he has under performed a lot in practice and on game tapes. The man means so much for this teams, for the fans, and I am sure the locker room will miss him. I will never get used to see him in a different uniform – he is for me one of the true faces of the team, a player to be proud of.

@Chris – I wish you all the best, you have made me a more passionate Redskins fan with your plays and your personality. Any team that signs you will be very fortunate.

Best wishes from Marc, Copenhagen, Denmark

18. By nicki on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

i am a huge cowboys fan but have loved watching cooley play. he has a lot of heart and a lot of talent and whoever picks him up will be happy to have the star on their teama

19. By Tracy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WHAT THE H.E. Double Hockey Sticks…….

Chris Cooley will be missed….. What a great guy to address his fans!!!!!!

20. By Liz on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a classy statement. He isn’t always eloquent (which is one of the reasons I love him) but what a way to leave your legacy with the Skins. He’ll be missed!!!

21. By tango on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

now watch him go some were else and shine

22. By Troy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WOW! I definantly did not see this comeing. Cris Cooley is probably my all time favorite Redskin

23. By Paul Tue on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is the part of the NFL at the end of the day its a business…… Hate to see #47 go!!!! COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEY!!!!!

24. By Lori on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley and #47 forever! Redskins have lost their mind! He and RGIII would make one helluva a combo

25. By BillG on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is a good sign. Cooley made Snyder a great deal of money. Maybe Shannahan really is making some of the decisions.

26. By Scott on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I love the direction that Shannahan and Allen have been taking the team and for the first time in a while, I believe we’ve turned the corner…..

But this really hits hard and I wish they would have kept #47 around. He deserves to experience the upside.

Here’s to #47 – FIRST CLASS ACT !!!

27. By jrorke on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Best wishes to you, Chris! I loved watching you play for the Skins! You’re a class act, a great football player and you will be sorely missed here in DC! Sad day…. :(

28. By Eric on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I HATE this move. I feel so disappointed. I wont be able to stand seeing him in another jersey!!

29. By Michelle on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I love my Chris Cooley jersey. Will continue to wear it with pride!!! You’re a class act Chris. Stay strong.

30. By tango on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

but he will be missed i just hope we dont pay for it in the end

31. By John on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Shows the class of Cooley and the Redskins. Even though I’d love to see him still with the team, giving him the chance to be a starter elsewhere is a class move. And Cooley talking about what he thinks of the Skins future in such terms is awesome also. Good luck Chris!

32. By Randy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A SAD DAY AFTER SEEING THIS. I really hope they know what there doing. You will be missed!!!!

33. By jeff on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I guess his injuries are worse than anyone ever reported. I just can’t imagine that he cannot help this team for another 2-3 years at a high level. I hope he does come back, with a contender or a first-class organization. Best of luck and you will never be forgotten.

HTCC

34. By Nathan S. on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Best of luck to #47. I’ve been a Redskin fan for 35+ years and Chris is easily one of my favorite players. A sad day, for sure.

35. By Powell on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You will be missed Capt. Will be wearing my Cooley Jersey the rest of the day in your honor.

36. By jose A. on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

creo que se va una gran jugador que va a ser difícil llenar ese lugar suerte Chris Cooley.

37. By agirlunderestimated on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is horrible!! Will definitely be wearing my Cooley gear to the game tomorrow!!

38. By Rhonda on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This makes me sad….I luv Chris Cooley :(

39. By dc on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Can’t believe Chris is being released. Very sad day.
    Wish you all the best Chris.

40. By Martha on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree, this totally Sux! Not Cool! ;( We need #47! Don’t go Chris!

41. By steve on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Redskin fan since Eddie LeBaron was QB, and have seen the Redskins do some bone head things, and this is near the top of the list. Chris is a great player and a class act, and this is a HUGE Mistake

42. By Mike on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Long live Captain Chaos!!! #HTTR #47

43. By Dennis R on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

unbelievable……this is where the business of football just goes wrong…

to lose a great player & person like this just brings the franchise down.

A mistake by the franchise…

44. By Ron on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Keep the pothead and release fan favorite.Its hard to stay a Skins fan.

45. By tango on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

we should have let go of that bum de hall he cant hit gets burned all the time please i hope they let him

46. By SkinsWife on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

He will be sorely missed. I hope there are great things in his future! He is such a great guy!

47. By Rhonda on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a loss for the team :(

48. By mel andrews on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris is a true gentleman and will be missed but You must look out for the team and what is best for it,

49. By Laurene on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

So sorry to see a class act like Chris Cooley not in burgundy and gold. He has been a bright spot in very lean years. Good luck to him,

50. By Suzanne on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a classy guy! It’s a sad day for Redskins nation. I think he may have been happier being #2 on the depth chart here than a starter with another team.

51. By Don on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Join the Giants/Cowboys/Eagles and score a winning TD vs Skins. Love my Skins, but today is just not acceptable, first with Gano now Cooooooooley…Damn!

52. By beedoobee on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a class act. The Skins will regret this – he was an amazing player. Good luck Chris I hope you find a team that has brains and takes you!

53. By donna on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley, you are a class act, a heck of a guy and a hell of a football player. You deserved another go at it. You will be missed and I will still wear my COOLEY jersey with pride! Thanks for a great run!

54. By rick on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

wth are they thinking. who have they got to replace cooley. i think Mike Shanahan is running this team into the ground.

55. By tnamare on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Unbelievable, just when things were looking up!! Do they not want to win this year or what?

Cooley has always been a class act and this is proof of that.

What are they thinking!?

56. By Harold on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a CLASS ACT, Chris is !!! DAMN, THIS REALLY SUCKS !!!

57. By BFM on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

My favorite Chris Cooley moment was when the Redskins cut him and the PATRIOTS picked him up and helped them win the superbowl in 2012-13

58. By Dave on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Dan this will come back to bite you in the ASS. You still have not learned that there is more to winning than just numders. Leadership and team chemistery are what makes wins, Chris was a major part of both. You screwed up agian! 45 year Redskin fan but not like I use to be .

59. By ozgur on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I was there at fedexfield when he scored three td s vs cowboys. Hail man I love you!!

60. By Jen Gilley on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You will be missed!!!

61. By elizabeth eytchison on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

noooooooooo no no no :(

62. By JD on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Some players you don’t release or trade, he is one of them. Today the Redskins SUCK HTTR

63. By Stick on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WTF? Are the coaches for Washington or against them? SO LONG COOOOOOOOOOOOLEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU MAN THANKS FOR THE GREAT GAMES!

64. By success761 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A class act and great team player. We shall miss him for sure.

65. By Archie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A true redskins legend gone today. A big mistake on releasing him.

66. By Jennifer on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I am going to call BS on the lame excuse they used when they released Cooley…. And we will hurt from this choice they have made. Once again Shannahan screws us over.. I think him and his son should be the ones to get released….

But Cooley will always have my vote….

67. By Jishnu on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can not believe we released Cooley. He has been the most consistent player for the last 8 years he played for us. I will never get over him playing for another team, He will always be a Redskin for life #47 were gonna miss you! COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEYYY

68. By David on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris,

You have been nothing but a class act your whole career as a Washington Redskin. Thank you for everything during your time here, and I wish you the best of luck on your next team.

69. By realskin on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

wtf

70. By Colin on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cant say I didnt see it coming with the direction this team is heading- but Chris not being on the Roster will be a HUGE loss to all of us. Wishing all the best, Chris, you will REALLY be missed.

71. By susan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is a true class act – UNLIKE the Redskins Organization!!

72. By Brett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Big loss – but no shock. Coach has no loyality to any player and expects none in return.

Coach better turn this in to wins.

73. By Rsilva87 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Why do we still have Shanahan? Chris Cooley is the reason why I became a redskins fan in the first place!

74. By Alexy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Dumb move skins. He was a constant that could be depended on in the bad times. Now with the team on a upswing they get rid of the bread and butter TE

75. By CB on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

He’s a class act!

76. By a on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What?! SMH….PATHETICALLY, you have done a mistake.

77. By Jeff on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It’s time for Cooley to replace either Sonny or Sam in the radio booth!

78. By Rich on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

There is only one thing worse than losing Cooley….Having to play against him. What a class act. He will be missed by every Skins Fan. It just won’t be the same without him.

79. By Karen Ingram on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a classy guy #47 is. BIG mistake iif you ask me. Coach didn’t even give him the ball in pre-season. Watch your back Brandon Banks & anyone else in that category-

80. By Eric on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is so much more than just a player. He has been a proven leader and a spark that the team cannot afford to give up. This is a big mistake…

81. By Dennis on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Good Luck Chris. It’s not going to be the same not hearing the Cooley chant

82. By Kim on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I am so SAD!!! I can’t imagine the upside to this move at all!! Good luck COOOLLLEEEYYY in the future — I guess I’d even watch the Convicts (aka Cowboys) if you played there, just couldn’t root for them! God speed and best wishes — and thank you for all the great memories!!!

83. By roy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Jets….Chicago….KC…..even Houston ….Rams….and Tampa….he will hook up

84. By Kira on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Nooooooo!! Whyyyyyyy???!

85. By Mark McGee on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

BAD MOVE!!!..He got realesed for Niles Paul…That guy cant even catch the ball half the time!!!! Starting to get tired of Shannahan!

86. By Jeff on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A sad day. Chris Cooley will be missed.

87. By dickyB on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It’s been a blast watching you play for the Skins, best of luck in your future career wherever you end up. The Skins have some huge shoes to fill now, you were a huge presence for the team both on and off the field.

Good luck, and the fans will miss seeing you in burgundy and gold.

88. By graham northwood on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A sad day, thanks for everything Chris, I wish you luck. You will be sadly missed. COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEEY

89. By Wendy G on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WOW…..WTH??? Things will NEVER be the same……we love you Chris, you have helped to form this team and you will be missed! I will follow you no matter where you may play and ALWAYS where your Redskins Jersey with PRIDE!!!
    I have to agree with a few others on here who said he was awesome and one of my all time favorites, ranking right up there with Darrell Green and Art Monk!

90. By Mreven on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Screw Antwaan Randle El, PUT COOLEY ON THE SIDELINE AS A BROADCASTER!

91. By sigmannn on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is hard to watch. He was one of my favorites. His jersey will be hanging on my wall beside my #21 Jersey.

Chris you were the best TE for the Redskins. All of redskins nation will miss you.

92. By Bill on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

well i think that letting chris cooley go was a big mistake.They are letting fred davis take cooley’s place and davis is a troublemaker.I just hope that cooley doesnt sign with our arch enemies.We will miss you chris cooley here in Luray va

93. By Boonersgrl on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What is Shanahan and Mgmt thinking! Release Cooley, but keep Grossman……MORONS!!!!! Skins Fans will miss you, Chris!

94. By mckenzie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Now he will stop talking trash about Romo #Cowboysnation Gooooo Cowboys

95. By bchacecole on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow Chris this is a hard one to swallow. I wish you the best of luck and the greatest sucess in all that you do. Much Love for #47 Chris Cooley one of the greatest Redskins Tight Ends to grace this team. You are a truly a “Class Act” and we’ll miss you.

96. By Leesburger on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Chris, this really sucks, you’ve been GREAT. Hope you get a shot back on the squad and at least on another team. You’ve been a stud and a great addition to our community. HAIL COOLEY!!!!

97. By Robin Winterson on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is anothcan’t except them. This ia a sad day for me as a Redskins fan. I feel that though times are changing that I still can’t except it. This is one of those moments. I remember when I got my first child a cooley jersey onsie. I wrote cooley on his fan site for an autograph. He wrote me back and said ship it ill sign it and send it back. he didn’t charge me a dime. He is a great man, great skin, and this day will kill me forever. Godbless you cooley and I wish you the best.

98. By dave on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cannot buy class or dedication, wonder when the Redskins will figure that out. Thank you #47 for setting an example on the field and in your community. Best of success in the future and in showing us this was just another bad move made by the Skins.

99. By John Guy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Clas, class act. I remember every catch, your steady hands. Take care, best of luck!!!!

100. By Justin on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris has and always will be a class act. I hate this move the organization has made and I don’t understand it, I’m just as heart broken as he is. Cooley’s presence is what has made this team what it is now and has helped them all turn the corner. I know he doesn’t want to put on another Jersey but I will always respect him and wish him the best in his future endeavors. He will always be a Redskin in my book. Long live Captain Chaos!

101. By Meg on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

i cannot believe this! i’m so upset, this will be a huge regret for us…. But best of luck wherever you end up cooley! i’m still gonna rock my jersey!!!!

102. By Niki Grady on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I cannot believe this!!! Chris Cooley is the washington redskins!! He will be sorely missed!!!

103. By Scuba Steve on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Please don’t play anywhere else dude. You are going to be a great dc coach, analyst, personality (hockey commentator)…

When we drafted Fred, I thought then while things were still going great for you physically that we may toy with the idea of a trade, and then, I would have been ok seeing you play elsewhere. Now, years and injuries later, stay home buddy!!!!

104. By Nikole on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I love you Chris Cooooooooooooooley!!!!! You will be missed. Shannahan and Snyder are not on my sh*t list!!!! Good luck to you Chris!!!!

105. By Dean Miller on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley is a TRUE REDSKIN, the redskins will truely miss his presence. I will hate to see him in another uniform, but saying that I wish him alot of success. I really believe this is one of the biggest mistakes that we have made during this administration. Chris, thank you for being there and being a bright spot for this team during some bad times.

106. By Lynn Chiver on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

We love you Chris the Red skins will never be the same

107. By ltgoviam on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

He will truly be missed and please do not go to the cowboys,eagles, or giants

108. By Erk on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

total BS!!! I wont be surprised if some one from the NFC East picks him up.

109. By ross on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Saw this one coming from a mile away. It sucks because we love the person and player Cooley is but as an organization i can see how it makes sense. Fred Davis is an absolute beast and Paul has the potential to be a fantastic #2 TE It’s sad to see Cooley go but im positive he’ll be an awesome addition to any team he goes to. MUCH love and best wishes to this guy! Everyone who thinks the Skins are crazy for releasing Cooley will be singing a different tune come mid-season when Fred Davis is an elite no. 1 TE. HTTR!

110. By DD on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley loved being a Redskin, he embraced everything about the organization’s culture and fanbase. He was more than a player he was one of us. I can’t believe this, I’m in complete shock. We love you, Chris. Best of luck.

111. By Joe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is one of my all-time favorite Redskins players. I’ve been a Redskins fan for the 19 years that I’ve been on this Earth, and, to be honest, we, as fans, never had to much to be excited about, let alone proud of. However, Cooley was one of the few candle lights in the dark tunnel that this franchise finally seems to be emerging from. Fans of old have Riggins, Art Monk, Joe Theisman, and countless other superstatrs to look up to. My era was only granted a very select few, and Cooley was one of them. You’ll always be loved on this side Cooley!

112. By Lynn Chivers on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is a big mistake by the redskins

113. By Frank on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Crazy-u have one tightend thats one smoke away from suspension and 2 unproven tightends and u get rid of the most proven and reliable tightend u have!unbelievable!

114. By JERZ on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

ALSO WE JUST RELEASE HIM WHEN WE COULD OF TRADED HIM LAST YEAR AND GOT SOMETHING FOR HIM WTF…..COOLEY U ARE A REDSKIN FOREVER #47 AKA COWBITCH KILLA…..

115. By Forever Fan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley was the backbone of not just this organization, but the fan base as well. He was our rallying point when things got tough the past several years (thanks Dan.) This is indeed a huge mistake for the ‘Skins organization. It is without a doubt in my mind he could have continued to contribute for years to come. What a loss.

116. By Angie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley was one of the best players on the team. YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED. Love and the best of luck to you in the future Chris.

117. By Branno on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

In a summer of so much excitement, this is a sad day for Redskins Nation…Chris, you will be missed! He always played his guts out every Sunday for this team and its fans. He bled Burgundy and Gold 100%! So many great moments, but never will forget your game against Dallas back in ’05!

I have no doubt that your name will be in the Skins Ring of Honor one day. Best of luck to you Captain Chaos!

COOOOOOOOOOLEY!!!!!!!!!

118. By Fro on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WTF…..we get a QB and you let go one of the best tight ends in the league Fu%&#$iNg stupid….love you Cooley #47 4life

119. By Lakegirl on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What are you thinking!!!!!

120. By SteveRep44 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

STANDING OVATION. I wish there were more like him around to make it easier to deal with the frustration of mediocre season after mediocre season.

Thanks, Chris.

121. By Wes on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow, they just cut one of the only true unselfish Redskins we have left and if I am not mistaken the only pro bowler we have at that position. One thing you could do is always count on Chris when we needed him and (to not be suspended) I guess we will see what happens.

122. By Rachelle on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

So unfortunate to let such a good and dedicated player go. Chris Cooley is one of my favs and such a stand up guy w/nothing but good character. This team will really miss him. Good luck to you Chris and God bless.

123. By scott on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I love the guy, but honestly he was going to make too much money to be a backup TE. Its a nasty business this NFL.

124. By Lakegirl on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

We will miss you Chris Cooley!! Why don’t you get rid of Grossman???

125. By Annette on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WHAT THE HELL?? What is wrong with SKINS decision making?? Are they using their brains?? I was so excited for this year!! You’re not helping by trading the class act performers!!

126. By sad on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Sorry to see you go Chris, you did it better than most would have. I have enjoyed being a fan of YOU !!!!! all these seasons. Chris get right back on the horse, don’t sit get out there and play, wherever you are we will be rooting for you.

127. By Bonnie Mulligan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This totally SUCKS! What are they thinking. Thank you Chris Cooley for your years of dedication. You will surely be missed.

128. By Billy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Oh man that sucks. I love that guy.

Will definitely be putting his jersey up on my wall. Good man, great player. He will be missed. I wish him all the luck in the world wherever he ends up next.

129. By WhoddaThunk on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Terrible decision by the Redskins. Guess they forgot that the talented, but consistently stupid, Fred Davis is one screw up away from being out for a year. The Redskins really do make it hard to be season ticket holding fan.

130. By jack eberhard on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

STUPID ! STUPID ! STUPID ! Chris cooley has been loyal to the redskins his whole career. He had the most reseptions in farnchise history for the redskins. You will be well missed chris. and im going to hate seeing you playing in differnt colors best of luck to you. Smh mike shanahan.

131. By Andrew on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow…I realy Miss Jack Kent Cook. He would have never let this happen. The NFL has become such a machine. It seems that teams have no sense on loyalty to their fans. Every time I buy a jersey, i get nervous. Chris’s character can not be replaced. I love my redskins, I hate this decision.
    HTTR

132. By T on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is so disappointing I will have to think seriously about whether my family can continue to pour money into this franchise year after year. Cooley was the best thing we had going for YEARS.

133. By momeee on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks, Chris Cooley, you are an exceptional example of a class-act pro-athlete! The Redskins let a piece of our hearts go today, you will be missed!!!

134. By gmen4life1979 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m a huge Giants fan, born and bred to love the Gmen but one thing I do love is good football players, not only football but good people. Cooley was all of that and its going to be weird watching the games against the skins without him. Hell I would take him on the GMen … Good Luck to ya bro hoep to see ya play a few more years, just stay away from the Cowboys haha

135. By Glenn on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is something I hoped wouldn’t happen!! Chris Cooley deserves to spend his whole career as a Redskin. He has been the epitome of a class act on the field and away from it. ( Minus a pic here and there…lol) You will be sorely missed by me and the rest of the Redskins nation! Good luck in whatever you decide. If you go play elsewhere, I hope you make them regret letting you go. All the best Captain Chaos!!!

136. By Pen on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a sad day. You won’t find too many class acts like Cooley in this league. I’ll still support him wherever he decides to go, but I hope he comes back and retires as a Washington Redskins.

137. By Nate on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

wow…speechless. I was really looking forward to this season until now.

138. By Carla Marvin on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Do they have someone on the back burner waiting to jump in that’s just going to blow our socks off? Ohhh wait..they can’t do that because they’ve done it already in letting Cooley go… I sure hope they have a major rabbit to pull out of the hat, because magic is what they’re going to need now!

139. By poed on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Just ANOTHER bad decision! Get rid of the Shannahan’s & resign Cooley.

140. By BrewSauce on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You will be missed #47! Hail HTTR!

141. By Franci gilliam on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Redskins fans r NOT happy that Cooley is being PUSHED out the door……Get a clue skins he was the heart of the team and has a huge fan base. I watched because of him……… Not cool, Not cool at all. Chris you rock and you will be missed. The fan’s r NOT happy

142. By Quan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I think this was a bad cut. Cooley came back healthy and lighter. All I know is whoever got his spot better be productive. #47 one of the great Redskins!

143. By John on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m a Ravens fan but liked this guy. The only bright spot to an otherwise dismal team

144. By Bertto on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

SAD, SAD,

145. By mordrud on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

wow. No matter how the team does this year, for me it will be bittersweet. I was so hoping Chris would get a chance to live his dream of a Superbowl. I still hope he does.

146. By Coooooooooo-leyFan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Nobody has more class than Cooley. 1 of my all-time favorite Redskins for his talent, his class, his apprecation of fans, and for being an all-around great guy! I wish him nothing but the best in whatever he decides to do in the future.

147. By davey on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I love the comment that it won’t be the same to not hear COOLEY when he makes a great play, uh yeah because he won’t ever make a great play for DC again. In comparison, he is older and not performing as well as the younger guys at TE. He did come back in better shape than he had before, but his production has decreased over the past year and a half or so.

148. By Kevin Richmond Va on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a shame! Snyder has the $ to keep him there. Why would you let go such a great player & team leader. Cooley’s a class act! I’m starting to have my doubts about the Shanahan’s…

149. By Dj Ricky on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This TOTALLY sucks !!!!!!! He is one of the BEST EVER next TO ART MONK !!!! This is just wrong I been a redskins fan since 1981 and this is just the worst Dj Ricky

150. By Allie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is crazy!! I cant believe they let Cooley go!!! I LOVE the redskins but this is just unbelieveable! Poor Chris trying not to cry at that interview!! I love You Chris Cooley!! You will forever be missed!!!

151. By Pam McWhirt on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I just love him and so sorry to see him leave :( I had the wonderful opportunity to meet him several years ago after a game and he couldn’t have been nicer — he called me “sweetheart” and I am old enough to be his grandma :)

152. By Terry on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! THANK YOU CHRIS, WE WILL MISS YOU!!! This is a SAD SAD Day……

153. By Pam on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooooooooooooooley! One of my favorites! Classy guy! I’m gonna miss him!
    Bummer!

154. By Kevin Richmond Va on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

The Shanahan’s should be cut NOT Cooley!!

155. By CB on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Huge loss. Classic Skins (bad) move…releasing a high caliber TEAM player…with more years left in him!! Big disappointment to what looks like a promising year.

156. By LOVE47 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I still hold hope he will be back , LOVE YOU CHRIS COOLEY !!!

157. By jeff on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Not only an outstanding player but a great guy!! You’ll be missed!

158. By FERNANDO CR on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Sad day I understand nature of business but leaders and sparks are needed having him honored the skins who fought for all these years , the portises, the taylors , the rocks, the sellers, the marcuses, the shawns etc etc
    hope the best luck for CC a real skin

sometimes we need the ol’ Danny fantasy football team owner back for little moments like these

159. By Ginger Arnold on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is one of the stupidest moves Shanahan hasever done. I now live out of the Washington area but will always consier the Skins as my team. IF Chris wanted to leave that is one thing. HOWEVER if he was released for any other reeason shame on Shanahan. I hope Chris finds another spot and it comes back to bite the coach in the butt. GOOD LUCK CHRIS.

160. By Rich on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Very bad move and very disappointed. Definitely a sad day to be a Redskin fan. Cooley you will be missed! You are a class act!!!

161. By allan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

we will miss chris you are the best TE thank you so much

162. By JennB on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a class act he is. I’m SOOOOO angry, what a stupid decision. Chris has never looked better or more fit – I’ll NEVER stop wearing my #47 jersey!

163. By marygratton18 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris thank you so much for all that you are off the field as much as on. You are a true honorary son of f Washington DC and have made us cheer, laugh, and feel so proud. You hold your head high now and go sign with another team worthy of you. Your real fans will still cheer for you whatever team jersey you are wearing. You are a Starter so go find a new team with more heart in the front office and the sense to know you are worth more than 10 young stoners.

164. By JoeD on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I do NOT like that the like button is a blue star. Unacceptable!!!

On to the subject at hand; good luck Chris. I hope you get picked up by another team I like; Detroit would be my #1 choice.

165. By T Major on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m not shocked that they let him go but I didn’t want to see hime go this year. I had hoped that with him healthy he would be allowed to show what he can do especially with one more pre-season game to go. What a shame. I loved watching him on and off the field. What a class act. I hope this move doesn’t come back to bite the Redskins on the back side…

Best of luck on your future endeavors Chris.

166. By Tammy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe this! He’s THE man! This is definitely a decision I dont agree with! We will miss you, and grab souvenirs like crazy in support.

167. By valindac on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley has been my favorite player since he stepped onto the Redskins turf. He belongs with the Redskins and I hope they see this! Best of luck to him, #47 forever <3

168. By Krystal on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Do the Redskins just hate their fans or what? How could they do this??? All hope & excitement there may have been for the upcoming season has just been thrown out…how could they….SMH….Seriously seems like the Redskins organization just doesn’t care about winning…

169. By drthunder728 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

The end of an era.

170. By Warlock on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This reminds me of when they let Art Monk go. No respect anymore for a real class act. Cooley has been the most upstanding player in recent history. This is a very sad day for me.

171. By Cathy Cook on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I cannot believe this! He is a Redskin through and through. He will never be forgotten and he cannot be anything in my mind but a Redskin.
    Love you Chris-I will continue to wear your jersey proudly.

172. By JIMMY on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

wow…..chris cooley is ten times better than logan paulson……it was one of my dreams to go to my first redskins home game and to hear CCCCOOOOOLLLLLLEEEEEYYYYYYY. Very disappointing, #47 bleeds burgundy and gold will always be a true skin. good luck man

173. By Lora on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I will miss you Chris Cooley! Your interview proves what an awesome person and player that you are. It will be hard to watch the games this year knowing that the best TE in the NFL will not be playing.

174. By all4HIM on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a boneheaded move, no wonder this team can’t climb out of the substandard cellar ! Moves like this are what keep teams from reaching championship status and as long as it continues we’ll never return to the glory days and just continue as a mediocre team . How sad but best wishes and luck to Chris stars always shine .

175. By Helen Hovey Whiteside on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You Rock.. and we the fans will take you back !!

176. By Patty on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

We Love you and will miss you Christ best of luck to you

177. By Bruce on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Way too classy for that organization!

178. By mitch on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

as a life long skins fan im sad to see cooley go..but understanding why he had to…the last few years he’s been hurt and has not completed a full season for some time now,also after fred davis stepped up last year and looks even better this year its not hard to see why cooley was let go,i in fact called this last month…also just because a player is a fan favorite is not a excuse to keep him on a team if he cant produce they way he used to,and sadly cooley had not,he was being over run by a younger and stronger player in davis…look skins fans,im sad about this as much as you all are,but the thing is we need to to whats right for him and the team and if its best suited someplace else then i hope cooley gets that chance(i highly doubt he will got to dallas) but with that said…im excited about our team,we have a real shot at doing something this year,playoff’s at the very least would be fine by me…and one more thing,lavar arrington got cut cuz he was a jackass and remember he faded out fast when he got cut,he was not a lost what so ever we have better LB’S then him in orakpo and kerrigan.

179. By Edie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris ,Best of luck where ever you go. You were a great asset to the team. I hope where ever u go it will b a great match. im sorry to c u move on.

180. By Marie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I am shocked to hear about Cooley’s release. To me has been the heart and soul of this team for many years. He did everything and anything the asked him to do. He is a professional and a class act. He will be missed. Cooley showed what a humble and amazing person he is during his goodbye speech. This is a sad day to be a Redskins fan. My heart breaks when I think of all the amazing things Cooley and RGIII could have accomplished together. Thank you Chris for all the memories. You will ALWAYS be a Redskin to me.

181. By mike jenkins on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

sorry Chris you will be missed but anyway I WILL BE SUPRISED IF THE SKINS WIN ANY GAME THIS YEAR not because of chris leaving but they just have there stuff together. if they do win a game it will because the offence on the other team beat them selfs, good luck

182. By mitch on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

PEOPLE!!!!!!!…for crying out loud what has cooley done for us the last 2 years????? other then being hurt????….you gotta do whats right for the team and the player…everyone saying we will have a loseing season…well when we are in the playoff’s im gonna be sitting right here laughing at all you who said we were doomed for letting cooley go when in fact we have a great TE in fred davis(you forgetting about him people) so come on,get you heads out of your asses and get ready for the best season we have had EVER!!!!! im pumped to watch RG3 and moss connection and how about this RB in alfred morris(the kids a bulldozer) and our D,we all know we got a super bowl winning D….everyone get your cooley tears out now,cuz come week 1 the new look skins gonna surprise everyone this year!!!! STOP WHINEING PEOPLE!!!!! we will be alright

183. By Chris on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Sad day for the Redskins community. If the fans made decisions this would never have happened. A pro-bowl caliber player deals with injuries and then gets cut before he has what I think could have been a great comeback season. But what do I know? I know this: for a few years Chris, Portis, and Moss CARRIED this team as the lone bright spots on offense. Thanks Chris, you will be missed.

184. By DaveU on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A truly sad day as a Skins Fan!!!!! The best tight end and one of the best guys to ever put on the burgundy and gold. Chris you will be missed greatly and I wish you the very best at whatever you do next.. You are a winner and will do well in the future and i wish it was still with the skins.. Im very upset to see you go!!! so heres one last one for you from me, COOOOOOOLLLLLLLLEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
    We love you man!

185. By Kathleen Nelson on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I will still wear my Cooley jersey proudly! Sundays will never be the same! I’m still in shock!

186. By Sulli on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’d trade ten of Davis for one Cooley – just not a good decision

187. By Knotahater on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This just goes to show that the time limit for veterans is brief as a professional football player. Chris Cooley will end up starting for another team somewhere, and what he brings when he is healthy is a determination to win. I believe he will land on a team that has Superbowl aspirations such as the Denver Broncos.

During a time in Redskins history when the rest of the team was lackadaisical at best he always performed at the highest level in football. He gave all he had, unfortunately injuries and time caught up with him.

188. By Fro on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

it would have been nice to see the RG!!! to Cooley hook up but oh well its on to the next one cant wait for week one……..

189. By Lifelong Skins Fan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Choosing Davis over Cooley?

Yet another reason Shanahan should be fired immediately.

You don’t cut Chris Cooley. If his knees are shot, you work out a way for him to retire gracefully. Shanahan has been ruining the Skins since he stole Champ Bailey and has been less successful than the mighty Jim Zorn.

Pull the trigger, Daniel Snyder. Shanahan is making your franchise worse.

190. By Teresa Anaya on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I will truly miss chris cooley but i will wear his jersey #47 proudly..Thanks for the good times you will be missed. best of luck in your future.

191. By RedskinsChief on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Wait…Wait…Wait.
    I know Cooley is not released? He is one of our best receivers and have been nothing but loyal to the organization and us (the FANS). I hear the coaching staff saying they let him go bc he will not be a starter, but honestly you did not give him a chance to prove himself.

OWNERSHIP: you have to get better. Make smarter decisions and have a game plan when trying to build a solid franchise. Great Organizations stick behind their star players through thick and thin. (Steelers Troy P. Ravens Ed Reed. Bears Brian Url. and as much as i hate to say it….Eagles M. Vick)

I just really wish we did the same for Chris Cooley.
    ******* #47, thanks all these years…YOU will go down as mine, and many others, favorite TE ever!

192. By Steve on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks to Chris Cooley for all the years of giving Redskins fans something to cheer about…even through many dismal years!! You will always be the standard that future players will be held to. We’ll miss you!!! Sooo Sad!

193. By Gary Taylor on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Chris I always enjoyed watching you play.

194. By Thomas Hicklin on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is CRAZY, he is one of the biggest assets to our team! Give him a chance to start elsewhere? What are you nuts he ought to be starting for us! Cooley we are definitely going to miss you and this is one of the most infuriating things this team has done, if you ask me! You are definitely a class act the way you handled this because I can tell you that there is not a single Redskins fan out there that doesn’t appreciate what you have done for this franchise and you should still be on the team! If you go somewhere else I hope if we play you you show them just what kind of player, not that you can be, but that you are! UGH some days I wonder what is happening to our Redskins front office that makes them do such dumb things……

195. By Michael Cecil on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

They get rid of the best tight end in the country and keep the worst quarterback in the league(Rex Grossman)What are you guys thinking.

196. By RR on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This really sucks, easily my favorite player on this team since Gibbs 2.0 days, second maybe only to Sean Taylor. This guy was / is all heart, tough to see him go, I hoped against hope that this was not the year that this happened.

197. By Kim on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow I hate this decision. Best of luck to you Chris, you are my favorite Redskin and I will definately follow your career where ever you decide to go.

198. By Karen on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I totally disagree with this decision. Cooley is a class act and will be greatly missed.

199. By Sue on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is wrong in so many ways! I’ll continue to wear my Cooley jersey with pride!

200. By Andrew on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is the thanks we give to a player who has given EVERYTHING To this organization. Thanks Kyle S. you are a real piece of work. Why didn’t they try to get something for him. He still has a lot left in the tank. BAD. MOVE. REDSKINS! But we’ll give the dope smokers another chance. Pissed in Damascus!

201. By Ernest Settle on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You give soo much to your team and meant so much to your fans and this is the thanks you get. Shame on u Redskins. I know this a business but you should know who your TROOPERS ARE. THIS WAS A VERY BAD MOVE

202. By Cory on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

keep the pot head but not the fan favorite since he arrived. Long Live Captain Chaos! #47

203. By Robyn Moody on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is the worst news I have dad all day. What are they thinking? Thanks Chris for all the memories. You have been a terrific player and will continue to be. The skins wiifm regret letting you go.

204. By Valorie Tillett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Really W T F? Chris Cooley YOU will be missed……… I will contunie to sport your jersey until it falls apart!!!! Very sad day in the Redskin Nation!!!

205. By sony on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’ll have to wait 10 years to see you voted on to the 90 greatest redskins of all time list……Thanks Chris!!! every father can only hope that there son would turn out to be a good a man that you turned out to be,one class guy in a sport where not many guys can say that.

Thanks Chris

206. By Marita Jeffrey on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Say it isn’t SOOOO!!!!! How I wish he could have retired a Redskin!!!! He is the FACE of the Redskins. We will all wear our jerseys with pride. How it will HURT to see that name on the back of ANY other jersey.. though I KNOW he has more in him.. HE WILL BE SOOOOO MISSED.. One last time: COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEY!! You know you will STILL hear us out there no matter WHAT team you play on Capt!! # 47!!!!!!! Thanks for all the great times!!

207. By Matthew on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

December 18, 2005- Chris Cooley- 6 receptions, 71 yards, 3 touchdowns to put the Redskins to 8-6 and keep the playoff hopes alive… and they then beat the Giants at home 35-20 and the Eagles on the road 31-20 to make the playoffs. A true Redskins legend. Best tight end in our franchise history, right?

208. By Nadyne on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley has always been a favorite — player ans spokesman for the team. He is dignified and classy through ans through. I am not sure what Shanahan is doing, but losing Cooley is painful. We love you Chris! Thank you for so many years of great service to our team. You will be sorely missed.

209. By DA on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I am so bummed. I am a lifelong Redskins fan and I don’t think I’ve ever rooted for a player as hard as I have for Chris Cooley. I am not a “jersey” guy and #47 is still the only one I’ve ever bought. I wish only the best for a player that I have the utmost respect for. It would be great if he finds himself back in a skins uniform some day, but please don’t go to another NFC East team.
    Cooley you’re the man!!!!
    HTTR

210. By Rena on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley was the man, you mean to tell me you can’t find a place for him on the roster with all he has done. Shame on you Dan and Bruce and Mike. Cooley has more heard and dedication than more than half the team. What a waste and you keep dooping Fred. Redskins wnat be the same. long live # 47 in burgandy and gold.

211. By Chuck on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I never comment, and I’m not sure that the Redskins decision here was wrong, but I was reminded watching this video why I’ve always liked and greatly respected Chris Cooley the man as well as Chris Cooley the player. I was choked up.

Chris, if the starter thing doesn’t work out elsewhere and the oppotunity to come back here, even as a backup, arises, please know that manyof us would be thrilled and relieved to have you back with the team. In any case, we’ll always be Chris Cooley fans.

212. By Jackie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Very sad day for Redskins fans. I don’t know what the Skins were thinking when they let #47 go. He consistently made plays through all the years he was with us when no one else did, he deserves better than what you gave him. He’s our favorite Redskin and will always be a Redskin in our hearts. Cooley is a CLASS ACT and has shown it in many ways…on the field, to his fans and at his football camp my son attended for years. He will be greatly missed as a Redskin! Cooooooooooooooleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!

213. By Pamela on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is a sad, sad day. Chris Cooley was a real Redskin. This is the kind of stuff that makes it tough to still be a fan after so many years (decades). Best of everything to you, Chris.

214. By walter on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

chris you were the go to guy for the skins..it breaks my heart to hear you were released, ..the redaskins are making a big mistake I also am holding out hope you will be back but if not good luck to you in the furture and thanks for the great memories

215. By Bonnie Little on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I was a Redskins fans up until last year, and even after going back to my home state team, for years I have watched Cooley play and he has always been top notch, not just as a player but as a leader on that team. This was another bad move of many taken by the Skins management. I too will keep my Cooley Redskins jersey. Chris…come to Baltimore and be a Raven and I’ll get another jersey.

216. By Alex on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Number 1….wonderful wonderful wonderful….love u Chris

217. By Tiffany on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

what a TERRIBLE decision on the skins part. The Skins are going to lose a lot of fans over this. I am appauld! I have stuck by this team my whole life. This is one of the biggest disappointments in my time as a redskins fan! *SMH*

218. By Cooleyfan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Class act Cooley, you are a true Redskin. You will be missed. Shennanigans strikes again.

219. By John Scott on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is the greatest tightend to ever lace a shoe in D.C., No doubt , Shannahan is the one that needs to go !!!!such a dumbass he is 4 letting one of the greatest players we have ever had go , I have lost all my respect 4 the coaches in D.C., Maybe u will be getting the axe next year & we get Cooley back !!!!

220. By Andrew on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I believe the Redskins have made a mistake in the release of Cooley. It’s not often that a team can find a player that can play to his ablity and still have a class act. Mr Cooley, thank you for being such a great example for your fans and peers.

221. By Disgusted on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chis you will be missed. You are a class act and always supported the Skins. Go ahead and play for another team if you get the chance. Our loss, but you will always be a Redskin.

222. By Fxyrdchik on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris, you will be missed so much. You are one of my favorite Redskins. Hope to see you play again. You deserve the best.

223. By Adam on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is a sad time in Redskins History…..Best of luck to Chris Cooley! Long Live #47 HTTR!

224. By Conrad Orozco on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Redskins fan for 26 years of my 32 yrs on this earth and Chris Cooley is one of the classiest, greatest players I have seen in this organization. I don’t agree with this move and do not look forward to the day the Redskins organization regrets this decision. I wish you all the best Chris Cooley, thank you for all these wonderful years. I will truly miss you but look forward to seeing you dominate on another team. You are a class act and I appreciate what you have done for this team and for your fans!!! Captn Chaos will live on!!!!!!! I will continue to wear my Cooley jersey with pride no matter where this takes you. WIsh you all the best from El Paso, Texas!!!

225. By Tracy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is a TRUE Redskin and a class act. There aren’t many players in league anymore who your children can look up, Cooley is one of them. It’s a sad day to be a Redskin fan.

Shanahan, you should be ashamed.

226. By Cooley fan forever on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This really sucks. Good luck Cooley. You will be a starter somewhere. Just sucks that it’s not for the redskins

227. By Scott Sevinsky on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What a horrible decision. This guy can and will still play. Way to reward a player who gave his all 8 years straight when other star receivers couldn’t even get open on a pass route. We have to be the dumbest team in the NFL. Hopefully Davis isn’t too high to remember his plays (loser). We still decide to keep Rex Grossman and then you go and sign Billy “I like to pull it right, laces out” Cundiff? Is the upper management of the Redskins high? Way to show future players you don’t stand behind them. What a lack of intelligence and class on the part of the Redskins. Sad day to be a Skins fan.

228. By debra on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

good luck and thanks 4 everything sad day .

229. By HUEY HILLZ on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Why would the staff ever let Chris Cooley go?! He is a leader for our team, one of the few that played for us and not just for the money. Our team needed him just like we need London Fletcher because they are leaders loyal to us and to the organization. Its was a terrible decision, whoever called that shot is the one who needs to go.

230. By S Everett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A necessary disappointment. Sorry to see him go. We’ll miss you Cooley!

231. By John on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris, man it was hard not to tear up at work over this news! As a lifelong skins fan, you’re the jersey I always wear when I NEED the Skins to win and I have to say thanks for all the awesome memories, and your 3-TD performance I saw against the Cowboys in ’05. I was also at the game where you had your 66yd TD run agains the Panthers in ’06. Thanks again for buying me a drink at McFadden’s that one night! A man for all the fans…stay in DC and keep being a Skins fan like you always were!

232. By Kathy Y on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It’s sad when leadership doesn’t realize all the aspects that a player has to offer on and off the field. Not only was he a GREAT player, he was a leader with his team, he was a team player, and he also had a connection with the fans!!!! I’m afraid you making a BIG mistake! Sure he was out with surgery, but give the guy a chance to play now that he is healed!!!

233. By Myndnmyn on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

By mid-season, Shanahan and his band of fairy men will effectively neuter the entire team. They can’t handle winning!

234. By Ann on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Are you sure you really want to release someone like this?

235. By Eric Newton on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris! We love you man! I wish you the best and I will always be a fan of yours no matter what! Just never go Dallas on me.

236. By Chasity on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

As a Die Hard Redskins Fan……… I say get rid of Shanahan and bring Chris Cooley back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will definitely not watch the games anymore…… Shanahan made a big mistake!!!!!!!!

237. By Matthew on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

For anyone here who thinks Cooley has been injured for “12 years” or broken down or whatever, check the stats on that. 2011 and 2009 were cut short, but in 2010 he had 77 catches for 849 yards. it was one of his best years as far as statistical production. He is 30 and worn down for sure, but I think a healthy Chris Cooley can still play the game…. at least well enough to be a solid back-up and get consistent playing time. I know business is business, but I wish the Skins could have cut one more meaningless wide receiver and kept Cooley on the squad. He is one of those unique players you’d like to keep until the end of his career. Also, Rackers may have been better than Gano.

238. By teresag on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

my family have been redskin fans for over 30 year what are you thinking,chris cooley,is one of the best players to ever play.this is a very sad day for redskin fans.no matter where you go or what you decide to do .will always be a cooley fan.

239. By Redskins for life on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is un frickin believable. You will always be a Redskin to me Chris Cooley.. Thanks for the memories # 47. All I can say is, Another stupid move by the Redskins……Go figure…

240. By Scott on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

F-N Sucks!

241. By Debbie on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

that’s the way I feel. I’m in tears. Love both 47 and 56

242. By West Coast Skin on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

wtf!!!…..i cant believe this. I am still gonna rock my jersey! All of the Redskins character is gone now (Portis,Cooley). This Really sucks. Good luck Capt Chaos!!

243. By msb304 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Can you say “TIGHT ENDS COACH” ???

244. By Thryssius on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe they released him. What are they thinking in that office? Plus they signed a kicker that chokes… What has become of this team?

245. By Edward P. Pelsinsky on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris ! Thanks for the memories !
    Youth ! Speed, 36M Fine.
    It catches up to all of us.
    Ed age 78

246. By chuck on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Redskins are going a long way this year, but this is a BIG loss for Redskins and all the fans. Chris good luck on what ever you decide to do.YOU WILL BE MISSED1

247. By Richard Chen on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow, what balance. When his playing days are over, he will transition well to the real world. As Simmons would say, I wish I could bet on that.

248. By AdamsJ on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Chris Cooley, for putting your heart and soul into this team and the fans. This came as a shock to all of us, and many fans are just heartbroken. We cried watching your “good-bye video”. We wish you nothing but the best. I’ve been a redskin fan for 50 years – I hope you find a new home that you love and join a team where we can still watch you play.

Redskins ownership, management and coaching staff have made us sick over the last few years … this is just the icing on the cake.

Good luck Chris – we will surely miss you!

249. By Ellen on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A true class act !!!!

250. By Rhonda Kearney on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley. You will be missed!!!! I will retire my Cooley Jersey. I hope you find another team that will treat you and love you the way DC has!

251. By marygratton18 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Daniel Snyder I hope you see what you have done here to Chris and to Redskins Nation!! You d-bag. You ruin everything!! When you need to mind your own business you meddle and when you should stand up now for Chris and other character guys look the other way. Chris is exactly who RG 3 needs to have his back on and off the field. You keep London around so why not Chris? Chris is every bit as fine a man and player as London. And to keep Fred Davis over Chris!! My dog has a better learning curve than that stoner and deffinitely better self-control. I am so pissed!! Every one of us would have cut you Daniel Snyder if we could have about a gazillion times now. Shame on Dan, Mike, Bruce, and that insufferable Kyle. They have shot the feel good out of the season before it even starts

252. By Linda Wright on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Feeling very sad. Don’t believe for a second that Coach Shanahan let him go because he wanted Chris to have a chance to play somewhere else. Well, I hope the current TE can play clean this year and the new guy moved there will perform well. Cooley was/is a fan favorite…Mr. Shanahan is not this fan’s favorite.

253. By Elizabeth Klanga on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEYYYYY
    Never to be heard again as a Redskin…. terrible news.

254. By MLD on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

@Chris- I will continue to wear your jersey with pride and will consider it an honor say I am a lifelong fan. No matter where you land, I will follow you.

@Fred Davis – you have big shoes to fill so fill them with more maturity and class than you have shown in the past. You haven’t earned my respect whether you want it or not dude!

255. By tvgunter on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

A true team player, and what being a redskin is all about. Its to bad the franchise did him wrong. Good luck you you Chirs.

256. By Chrissy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Love you Chris!!! My heart breaks to see you go…

257. By JT on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley I want to wish you the best and thank you for all the memories (you will be back as a coach…we all know it).

For all the negative remarks on here chill out. Yeah it sucks that someone we have watched and become attached to for years is leaving, but it happens. This is football. Unfortunately, for Chris there are 2 players who can play the position that are younger and more athletic than he is. This happens, it is not Dan Snyders fault or Shanny’s. They made the best decision for the team. The time will come when even a London Fletcher will have to leave or be released. And I will hate that day to. But we must move forward. RIP Sean Taylor.

258. By Chrisj909 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Coooooooley is my favorite Redskin. What an awesome dude! Can’t believe they are moving on but keep your head up Chris, you will always be cherished by the fans! #HTTR

259. By Patti on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You will be so missed. Good luck. I just got a Cooley Jersey for Christmas 2011. Had waited a long time because I couldn’t afford to buy one for myself. I have been waiting for the season to start. Now I will wear it more proudly than ever.You are the man.

260. By Bill Veck on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe this. The one constant in the offence was Cooley! Just said I was so glad he was back ! I am ticked off now ! What a classy guy to announce his own release and no bitter words, even though you can see how much it hurt ! Best of luch Chris , thank you for all the great years !

261. By MRS310 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley – you are a class act! Thank you for your contributions to the team. We have a whole family of Cooley jerseys that will remain near and dear to our hearts! Best of luck to you!

262. By neverforget21 on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for everything Chris, now go get yourself a ring. How is Cooley not on the roster but Rex still is?????????I Don’t trust Shanahan never have only cares about himself.

263. By vtalan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey Cooley,

Awesome seeing you at Flag Football in Herndon. I’m sure you’ll get picked up, but in the mean time, flag football is a great sport to play. Love to have you on my team. See ya on the field in the Spring, and on TV this Fall.

264. By vtalan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey Cooley, nice seeing you in FXA at Herndon. You could always join my team. Play some flag football in the Spring man. Catch ya on TV in the FALL.

265. By Gordon Shipley on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris was what the skins have been looking for , he was what being a skins meant he left it all on the field and he didn’t think more about drugs than the team ,he was a beast in red zone.i hope this deal doesn’t bite the skins

266. By Angela may on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I have been a long time skins fun for over 20 some years watched c guys come and go but I love my COOLEY and I’m mad as hell go to the Gaints baby ! F them

267. By Dannyboy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Nothing but respect and love for Cooley. He is pure class, heart and character. The Redskins will miss his composure and all the intangibles he brought to the field. Not to mention his ability to contribute by making plays. All the luck to you, Captain Chaos.

268. By Scott on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I have been wanting to take my nephew who is currently in Afganistan to skins game for many years. He is a big Cooley fan and finally got tickets to a game so when he returns home we can go. He was definitely looking forward to seeing Cooley play. Almost sorry I got tickets. Another decision that will come back to haunt them.

269. By Charlie Dudley on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris we THANK YOU!!!!

270. By Jacob Newton on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Shanahan needs to go now this move is just insulting as a Redskins fan. Cooley was willing to do whatever the organization wanted him to, too remain a Redskin and better this team. SMH……

271. By art t on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

i”ll miss him,he was great,and i have his jersey

272. By William Clark on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It was money ask the RNC Cooley was good.

273. By JBH on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What class?! We’re lucky to have had you as a Redskin, an awesome Redskin. So sad to see you go. Best luck to you. Another team will be lucky to have you.

274. By Pam on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris, You are fantastic – I wish you nothing but the best. I remember the day you signed my #47 jersey and hat – it will always be special to me.

275. By Mary A. on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m so very, very disappointed in this decision to cut Chris Cooley. Just keep up the roller coaster ride of being a Redskins fan…you take us up, you bring us down…this is a real downer.

276. By NSY on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can’t even begin to express how upset I am about this. Chris Cooley has been a consistent & loyal team player and this is how the freaking Redskins treat him? It’s a sad sad day for Skins nation. Chris, thank you for all that you’ve done for the Redskins & for being a great part of the community. The Skins won’t be the same without you. Wishing you all the best. CC47 FOREVER!!

277. By Steve L. on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Speechless…. Utterly Speechless. I know you will find a home, and if it happens to be outside of the redskins organization, well then I have a reason to start cheering for more than one team. Good Luck and thanks for the winning memories!

278. By Tess on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WTF!!!!! Are you guys on crack???? Cooley was the REAL DEAL, Sad day to be a skins fan… Shame on the coaching staff and shame on the front office for letting such a talented player go. It’s not like you have given any of us fans a reason to believe in you lately all we had were the guys like Cooley who played their guts out every week. Maybe the coach should be the one hitting the highway not one of the best players we have had in a long time. I have been a fan all my life but Really???

279. By Robin Pinto on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

my kids will always remember their 1st Redskin’s jersey, #47!!

280. By Melissa on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Great way to fill seats Shanahan, get rid of the most popular player. But yet we keep Santana Moss, who can’t catch and DeAngelo Hall who can’t tackle. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Chris Cooley and my son was a part of his football camp. He even caught a pass from Chris which i have on tape and it made his day. Good luck Chris! We love you!

281. By Mary on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Bad move Dan & Company. Chris was the best thing to happen to the redskins since John Riggins. Chris you are a class act my friend! This season will be tough without you

282. By The Margie Halem Team on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Such a loss for the Redskins and for DC….what a class act, on and off the field. Cooley is a true role model and there’s gotta be great things in store for him down the road. Wish him all the best and will miss him sorely! COOOOOOOLEY forever

283. By Lynn on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris!!! What can I say. We have suffered through horrible decisions that the Skins have made over the past decade (and more) and this is yet another one. I know this is a business, but part of running a decent business, with integrity, is knowing who has shown up through the bad times. Cooley has SHOWN UP! He deserved at least 1 more season (if not more) to experience the Redskins when we actually have a shot post-season play.

I have loved this team for as long as I can remember and Chris, you are man above your contemporaries! It will break my heart to see you in another uniform. For everyone that thinks it won’t…ask Colts fans, how Manning looks in Denver orange? That move made more sense than this one.

284. By SK on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Truly disappointed in the Redskin coaching staff. Cooley was a true Redskin and fan favorite. He gave his heart and soul to them. Not sure I wil have the same support to a team I can’t understand. Keep your head up Cooley, you are a great player and someone to look up to on and off the field. Best of luck to you.

285. By Beth McKoy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This was one of the worst decisions they could have made!! Chris has always been one the best – best team mate – best leader – best player!! I will always remember on “Elliott” – Chris was the one saying “I screwed up” – he never pointed the finger at someone else!! THAT IS CLASS!! When someone gave our family tickets to the game my daughter asked me “If you could have any jersey you want who would it be?” I answered Chris!! Chris you always made us proud!! We will miss you always!!

286. By Michael Cope on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Once again the Redskins shoot themselves in the foot. Jack knew how to keep a team together. He respected the fans and the family that was the Redskins. D-Bag Daniel cares only about winning at any cost. No leadership. No team spirit. No class.

287. By httrincolorado on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Ah, Cooley. I cried watching this-thank you for bleeding burgundy and gold-I will ALWAYS wear your ‘skins jersey with pride. …Whether you come back to us, or end up on another team (please, please no Cowgirls or Eaglettes in your future!), you will always be a Redskin in my book. I understand the reasoning behind this decision, and just wish that the NFL was not such a “business”. You will be sorely missed.

288. By Don Green on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Sad, Sad, Day !!!! Who’s next ?????
    Good Luck and Thanks Chris !!!!!

289. By tim mcbrearty on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I PUT COOLEY IN THE SAME CLASS AS DARRELL GREEN. YOU JUST DON’T FIND PLAYERS LIKE THAT! IT’S NOT ONLY WHAT YOU DO ON THE FIELD BUT HOW YOU SHOW UP. COOLEY GAVE YOU EVERYTHING THAT HE HAD WHEN HE WAS ON THE FIELD. YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOME OLD DOGS AROUND TO SHOW THE YOUNG DOGS HOW TO RUN. YOU GOT LOUNDON ON DEFENSE YOU HAAAAD COOLEY ON OFFENSE. MAKES YOU WONDER WHAT THE OTHER PLAYERS ARE GOING TO THINK WHEN THEY LOOK HOW THE SKINS TREATED COOLEY. WHERE DO THEY STAND!!! THERE WERE A WHOLE LOT BETTER WAYS TO HANDLE THIS. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES THAT THE SKINS HAVE MADE IN A LONG LONG TIME.

290. By John on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I wish that more pro athletes had the class you have shown through out your career in DC. I have been a Redskins fan for nealy 40 years but I will root for you no matter what jersey you are wearing. Thanks and good luck Chris.

291. By Chris Hunter on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

HUGH MISTAKE RELEASING COOLEY HE WASN’T JUST A TIGHTEND BUT FB AND A GREAT TEAM LEADER ON AND OFF THE FIELD….. IF THE COACH SHANAHAN IS SMART COOLEY WILL BE BACK ON THE ROSTER B4 IT’S TOO LATE. NOTHING IS FOREVER IN THE NFL AND EVERY PLAYER HAS THEIR TIME WHEN THEY HAVE TO BE TOLD IT’S OVER BUT ANY REAL WASHINGTON REDSKINS OWNER, GM, COACH, PLAYER, OR FAN KNOWS COOLEY STILL HAS A LOT OF FOOTBALL LEFT IN HIM AND BLEEDS BURGUNDY AND GOLD……. #47 CHRIS COOLEY IS SO MUCH MORE THEN JUST A FOOTBALL PLAYER TO THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS COMMUNITY BRING HIM BACK…….

292. By Tyler on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley was and always will be my favorite player and i hope that mike shanahan knows what he is doing cause he clearly doesnt know how to handle talent i mean Chris is way better then niles paul and even though i am a die hard skins fan if he does sign with another team i hope he scores 3 tds on us and shows them the mistake they made!

293. By Ben on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is a sad day, Cooley has worked hard and been a great Redskin. I cant believe he wont be here when the team seems to be turning a corner. He hardly got a chance in the preseason and if he is healthy how can they not think he will bring the same toughness and great hands he has always had. Definitely one of my all time favorite Redskins, great for the team, fans, and community. We will definitely miss you Chris! Here is to hoping the Redskins realize what a mistake this is and somehow get him back

294. By Chris Francis on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe this….your the man Cooley!

295. By kevin jr on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

This is so stupid Mike Shanahan to have done to such a great player and even better team player. You should rethink this and resign him. Fred Davis is a good ball player too, but what if his lee is dirty.Then you’ll bewishing you had such a guy like Cooley. Please if your a skins fan comment and like my page to show them.

296. By Craig Markhardt on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Only Cooley knows the details of what went down. It is tough to find any other player in the NFL that is more respected. The season won’t be the same, it will be missing the plays every game where we can cheer a respected player by the name Chris Cooley. You will carry my respect to your next venture Cooley!

297. By Gonzo on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

One of the biggest mistake the Redskins have made in my forty one years. The head coach needs to be fired an the owner needs to pick up the phone and get Cooley back in Burgundy and Gold. Fred Davis couldn’t cary Cooleys lunch boxes. Worst news of the year for Redskins Fans. Best go to guy on the field. You will be greatly missed good luck Chris no matter where you end up. Just heard Mike Shanahan interview on Cooley release. I’am madder now than before I seen it. Maybe this move will finally get us a new head coach after Mike can’t get it done this season.

298. By poppyshoes on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I saw this coming last season, but we fans have to support the team. I don’t want to see him anyplace else, but with Niles moved to TE, Paulson and Fred…it makes it tough only because he has not been on the field as much. If Jamal doesn’t get it together he’s next. I’ll always be a Coooooooley fan, I’m gonna wear my jersey tomorrow at the game. He can show a lot of the league what humility is.

If he hangs it up, put him on the sidelines to coach. :-)
    Gonna miss you Mr. Cooley

299. By Laura on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe the Redskins let Cooley go!!!!! I have been trying to stay a loyal fan for years but this is the last straw!!!! Finding myself a new team!!!!!

300. By AP on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

i will always love chris cooley but his best days of football are in the past we have fred davis who is a stud and will be for awhile and i like the transition of paul moving to TE. I thought cooley might have been able to give us 1 more productive year but i trust our organizition on this move i just hope he gets picked up and can contribute to whichever team he goes to

301. By Beanie on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

THANKS SO MUCH FOR MAKING THE PAST 8 YEARS EXCITING, I WILL MISS YOU AND YOUR UPBEAT PERSONALITY.
    SHOCKED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT..GOOD BY AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.
    I WILL ALWAYS HAVE MY #47 JERSEYS…
    LUV YOU MAN

302. By Ashton Fairlamb on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I am going to miss watching Cooley play as a Redskin! One of my favorite memories is the commercial that he was in for women’s jersey apparel. You are a class act Cooley!!

303. By Robin on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I am so sad to hear this news- very stupid mistake. Not only a great player but a genuine person. We will regret this one…..hope out new tight end doesn’t doesn’t get suspended like last year or will be up the creek:/ Cooley u rock!

304. By Bill on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Chris was one of the better players and helped the Redskins alot of the years.
    I hope gets on with a good team and comes back to haunt the skins in the future.

305. By Jeremy on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

If Chris thought he was a baby for crying… I wonder what that makes me! This has ruined the whole football season for me. I have been a die hard fan for life! I just can’t imagine Cooley playing for any other team! His dedication, heart, and character will truly be a missing element for our team! NO matter where he goes, I wish him well, and will always consider him a Redskin. Maybe he’ll come back and retire with us! All the best.

306. By EMY on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe this! I am so upset about this ridiculous decision! Why in the world would you cut someone as talented and dedicated as Chris Cooley. I am disgusted with Shanahan’s decision. Chris you are awesome and we will miss you so much! Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the team and the fans! We love you!

307. By Gabby on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Im 6 yrs old and Chris i watch football and wear my #47 jersery for every game and wear it to school ther next day. i have your picture hanging in my room . My mom and i think you are the best she even has your pottery.. i will miss you #47 i will still wear my jersery. Good luck to you

308. By Lisa on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

This is a sad day for the fans. Cooley was such an advocate for the Skins, one of the best spokesmen and such a loyal and dedicted team member. I am very sad to see him go. It won’t be the same without #47. I am not even looking forward to the season now. How could the franchaise be so unaware of all his great attributes on and off the field?

309. By Zach on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Best game of my life…. Last seconds of the game.. when we were sure to lose and the stadium was clearing out…. Cooley took one in to put us over the Cowboys in 2005… the only game I ever attended at Fed Ex. Thank you Cooley… You’re a champion above champions.

310. By R.W on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Cooley will be sorely missed. He had worked hard in the off season to come back from a knee injury. This move will hurt the Skins in the end. You don’t just let a class act and Fan favorite like Cooley leave your organization and it not cost you in the end. He will be picked up by another team and it wouldn’t surprise me if when he plays against the skins he doesn’t steal the show. Cooley was a Redskin thru and thru. This is why Washington needs you ownership.

311. By Jaci on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is THE reason I continued to watch the Redskins week after week. He is the first jersey I owned, and I will continue to wear it on a weekly basis. He will be SORELY missed and I think this was a huge mistake made by the coaches and owner.

312. By Mike on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Very Bad move on the Skins!! He’s better than alot on there now..

313. By g2-35d1dab439e684937e6bdd7f5d75dcc4 on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

From the CBS DC local website: “The Washington Redskins have honored a tight end who was suspended for failing a drug test as the team’s offensive player of the year. Fred Davis received the award Friday at the team’s annual Welcome Home Luncheon. He caught 59 passes for 796 yards and three touchdowns last season before missing the final four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.” http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/08/24/redskins-honor-fred-davis-despite-drugs-suspension/

I think this is pretty darn FUBAR! You honor Fred Davis and release Cooley – crazy Shanahan, crazy.

@ Chris, you are an amazing player and person. If/when you decide to play for another team, please know that I will become a fan of that team just to root for you and your success. Chin up and god bless!

314. By Jameson on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

It’s a shame that Cooley had his career with the Skins during an era of really poor QB play. This guy would have been an even more monster TE in a more legit era of Redskins football when we actually had decent a decent QB. I shutter to think how he would have been used and how many Pro Bowls he would have gone to had he been paired up with any of the NFL’s premier QB’s for his career. He would have gone down as one of the greatest to ever play the game. Unfortunately we never used him correctly or put the ball in his hands enough. Good luck Chris to wherever you go…. you are complete class!

315. By Wojo on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Cooooley!! Man, lots of comments on this thread. Testimony of what a fan favorite 4 7 is. We will miss seeing #47 on the field. Truly one of the greatest Redskins of All-Time.

You have been awesome and I appreciate your loyalty and dedication to the Burgundy & Gold!! Best of luck in what ever comes your way next CC.

316. By Lexi Brach on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Sorry to see you go man, my son was almost as upset as you were.

317. By deejay on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Man here we go again. These are the guys you keep. I really hope they know what they are doing. SMH

318. By Cassie on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Wow – he took it allot better than I would have….. Guess he knows how to not burn bridges.

Way to go Snyder …..

Hope to see him again on an opposition team.

How do you let a guy go that is the heart of your team?

319. By Kevin Richmond Va on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Bring back Cooley!!!

320. By Kevin Richmond Va on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I wish Jack Kent Cooke could’ve lived forever, a truly great owner!

321. By Brad Newell on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Chris…we have enjoyed watching and cheering for you over the last 8 years… we are sad to here that you will not be there with the Redskins.

Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Brad

322. By ALLinSKINS on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

4….7 appreciate ya and all that you brought to skins. Here is not saying goodbye but a see you later because you will always be skin to REDSKIN NATION!

323. By Pam Fisher on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Another very bad coach decision…almost as bad as his son’s play calling.
    Cooley is the heart of great football and the best thing to watch each Sunday. Re-sign him- he deserves it more that Davis- let Davis go …we all saw what his work ethic got us

324. By Jan Blazer on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I can not believe they left Cooley go. He was what made up a big part of the team.Just when you think skins are going to have a decent year , they go and do something like this. Chris I hope where ever you end up they appreciate you.

325. By Love mycooley on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

If only these comments would be read by those who really matter in the decision making in this organization. Cooley gave his heart and sole to you and this is how he gets repaid for being injured. Instead you are going to give the druggie the job. What is going to happen when Davis fails another piss test?????
    Seriously bad decision to let the heart of the team go!
    I will forever wear my Cooley jersey with pride!
    CC47 forever!
    HTTR

326. By TRISHIA on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

WOW Cooley you will be missed (WHAT ARE THEY THINKING) It is getting very hard to stay a loyal fan to this team. Nothing but the best will come your way.

327. By Henry on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I will always be a redskins fan,but most of all i will always be a Chris Cooley fan! I will cheer you on no matter where you go! except DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!! God Speed Captain Chaos.

328. By Donald on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Shitham just wanted any redskin he didn’t bring in out!! He said it himself!! Started with Portus and now Cooly.
    He wants to make hard decision the he needs to cut his kid that can even call the right plays at the right times.

So show me your for this team COACH AND CUT THE KID LOOSE!! Or just show the fans once again it’s about you and your poor decision making!!

We don’t want to cheer DRUG ADDICS ON!!! I don’t care how good you are if your busted with drugs then off the team no excuses!!! One more drug addic in DC that’s all we need.

God Bless you Chris Cooly!!!

329. By Paul Moloney on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I sat in the corner in the nosebleeds the first time Cooley & the Redskins came to BofA stadium in Charlotte. I was so loud that after Chris caught a pass & I yelled COOOOOOOOOOOLEY he pointed to the stands where I was sitting. Co-incidence? Maybe. I said that say this. I’m loud. Sgt in the Army 30 years loud. 3(I think) years ago my finances were much better & I sat in the first row behind the Redskin bench. Dan Snyder heard & answered me when I asked him if we were going to win when he came down to visit the team before the game in Charlotte. Called out for “Captain Chaos” “Coooooooooley” even though I don’t recall him catching a pass that game. I was 15 yards at the most from him in a hostile town shouting cheers & support. Would it have been to much for him to even turn around?Completely ignored! This was after he returned from his injury & he was never the same again. Hope he finds a team Tampa could use him. Hell, Tampa could use just about anybody.

330. By Dawn on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Dumbest move the Skins have made in 25 years!!!!!!!! You took the one reason I was STILL a fan. Looks like I am going back to the Patriots and Never giving another DIME to Schneider! Chris you are the ONLY reason I stayed a Skins fan I can’t even imagine the game with out you! God Bless you and your family and I pray you get picked up by a TEAM that REALLY appreciates you!

331. By dolores dohn on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

You will be saddly missed. I have been a Redskins fan for 43 years. I enjoyed watching you play the game
    You were by far one of my favorite players.

332. By Gwen Melton on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Chris, I have had you as my wallpaper on my computer for years and years. I will condinue to have it there until you decide if you will join another team. You will be truly missed. I think it stinkes that this happened to you. You always gave the team your very best. Your contribution will be truly missed I’m sure. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

OXOX
    Gwen

333. By LS on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Bring back Chris in some capacity! You’ll always be a Redskin!! We love ya, Chris!!

334. By Carroll Campbell on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

What a mistake there is no way to accept this Chris Cooley is and always has been a True Redskin worthy of the the chants from fans because he truly is a great player that has stood by HIS TEAM in good times and bad. This is sad indeed and the coaches and the owners need to rethink this move. What a serious mistake. All Redskins fans need to toss the BS flag on this one and ask the owners to GET CHRIS COOLEY BACK WHERE HE BELONGS IN A REDSKINS JERSEY. What the Hell are you guys thinking anyway. Stop cutting our own throats by getting rid of the players that have brought us here to where we are today a Team with a chance at a decent season for a change.

335. By Paul Moloney on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Has anybody picked him up. If they have, that news got by me. Maybe there’s a reason he was let go & not picked up. Despite all that he’s done football is a sport where “what have you done recently” is the key. Since his injury he hasn’t been the same. Hope he’s wasn’t wiped out in the divorce. He’s one of my favorites along with Riggins . Maybe there’s something in broadcasting for him.

336. By Casey Cumbey on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

I have always hated the cowboys first and the redskins second but have always loved this player. RGIII is an amazing player and a class act and was beginning to gain my support as I am from VA but with what they did to Cooley I hope they continue their legacy of losing until the NFL plays its last season! Long live Chris Cooley and may you please end up with the Vikings!

337. By http://tinyurl.com/primbagan06046 on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Many thanks for applying time to compose “The Redskins Blog | Video: Chris Cooley Says Goodbye”.

338. By google authorship markup on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

I visited multiple sites however the audio quality for audio songs present at this web site is genuinely fabulous.

339. By YOLO on Feb 5, 2014 | Reply

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your
    stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent.
    I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like
    what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart.

I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous
    site.

340. By best induction cooktop on Feb 5, 2014 | Reply

Everything is very open with a precise description of the
    challenges. It was really informative. Your website is very useful.
    Thank you for sharing!

1. 12 Trackback(s)

2. Aug 28, 2012: Chris Cooley Released - Page 4 - The Warpath
  3. Aug 28, 2012: Chris Cooley anuncia que está cortado dos Redskins | ExtraTimeExtraTime
  4. Aug 28, 2012: Redskins Release Chris Cooley | WOL-AM 1450
  5. Aug 28, 2012: THANK YOU, CHRIS COOLEY | Mr. Irrelevant, a D.C. Sports Blog by the Brothers Mottram
  6. Aug 28, 2012: Redskins Cut Cooley - DCSportbikes.net
  7. Aug 28, 2012: Redskins Release Chris Cooley | Majic 102.3
  8. Aug 28, 2012: Redskins Release Chris Cooley | 93.9 WKYS
  9. Aug 28, 2012: Chris Cooley Released - Page 9 - The Warpath
  10. Aug 28, 2012: Forty-Seven Endearing Things About No. 47, Chris Cooley | Mr. Irrelevant, a D.C. Sports Blog by the Brothers Mottram
  11. Aug 29, 2012: What Chris Cooley Meant to Me as a Redskins Fan « Me and My Shovel
  12. Aug 30, 2012: Entirely Different Topic: Sad Goodbye to Chris Cooley |    Only Fresh News and Products for YOU
  13. Dec 31, 2012: The Redskins Blog | 2012 In Review: Top 5 Blog Posts