• Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 2:55 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Levi's Stadium before the Redskins vs. 49ers game on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 7:55 PM - 8:25 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 8:55 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.

Redskins Uniforms Ranked Mediocre?

Posted by Andrew Walker on August 23, 2012 – 10:14 am

(AP photos)

This post is dedicated to you uniform junkies — and I know there are tons of you out there.

Uni Watch — the popular ESPN.com site that looks at everything about uniforms in athletics — is in the midst of releasing its “Power Rankings” of uniforms in professional sports — the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL.

Where do the Redskins stack up?

Out of 122 teams in the four professional leagues, the Redskins are ranked 62nd — right about smack-dab in the middle.

When looking at NFL teams only, the Redskins rank 17th — again, in the middle.

Hey, these guys study this stuff much more than I do. Here’s their complete analysis of the Redskins’ current uniforms:

“The Skins look great when they wear those flashy gold pants (which have their own Twitter feed!), they look OK when they wear the burgundy pants, and they should really give the white pants the heave-ho. The jerseys and helmet are OK, but the whole package is starting to feel a bit dated.”

I’ve also heard the gold pants referred to as the “mustard” or “yellow” pants, but if you’ve had a chance to zoom in on them in high-quality photos this preseason, you’d see they really do appear to be gold.

I like the gold pants, but I’m also a fan of mixing it up every once in a while — especially based on how the team is performing in that particular uniform set.

I can’t imagine that Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan has pages in his playbook dedicated to which uniforms parlay into wins and losses, however.

If you break it down by NFL teams, the Redskins rank 17th in the league in uniforms, according to Uni Watch, and are ranked ahead of the New York Giants in the NFC East (the Dallas Cowboys [sixth] and the Philadelphia Eagles [fifth] apparently have beloved uniforms).

The top five NFL uniforms are yet to be released, but here’s Uni Watch’s Power Rankings so far:

32. Cincinnati Bengals
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
9. Miami Dolphins
8. San Francisco 49ers
7. Buffalo Bills
6. Dallas Cowboys
5. Philadelphia Eagles

Who’s left: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers

I guess it’s not surprising that the Bears, Packers, Raiders and Steelers are the top four. They’ve stuck with the same uniform design pretty much throughout their entire franchise history, and each team has a unique color set to work with.

CHIME IN: How do you think the Redskins’ uniforms stack up against the rest of the NFL? Do you think they should design new uniforms or stick with their current set? Feel free to comment below.

Tags: , ,

20 Responses to “Redskins Uniforms Ranked Mediocre?”

1. By JMG111 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Glad they brought back the gold pants. Would like to see them get some fan input if the lance or warrior face would be a better helmet logo. I’d say forget the white pants as well, just mix and match with the white and burgundy jerseys, along with gold and burgundy pants. No burgundy jersey/pants ever again, tho. That was a visual disaster during the ill-fated Zorn era.

And – Can we please lose the gold facemasks? Go back to grey, or use burgundy or match the color of the warrior’s profile in their logo. HTTR!

2. By Chad on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m a die hard Redskins Fan & I would live to see a new design done to the uniforms. I’ve been hoping to see a new design for yeats. #HTTR

3. By Kevin Hynes on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

the all burgundy unis were great

4. By Justin on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

A few years ago I would have sworn they went to a deeper burgundy that didn’t have such a red hue to it – and it looked a lot better. I wish they’d go back to that richer burgundy and try some dark grey pants as an alternate – something like the Bucs have. That aside, I love the yellow pants and the yellow throwback helmets!

5. By KC on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I am a die hard Skins but our uniforms are horrible. We need a change. I’d like to see the old arrow back on the helmet (the native american man is well past it’s use, nice but we have to change it up) and maybe some darker colors, perhaps black pants with burgundy and gold trim and white jerseys.

6. By Dave Tegg on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

no way that horrible green thing the eagles wear is better than burgandy and gold, our colour combo is the best in the NFC, also the horrible blue star is also in my bottom of the list, too many teams have white as the basis of their colors, with some red and blue in the mix. the next best is the Silver and Black of the Oakland Raiders. I am not sure who makes this lists up but their eyes and tastes arent very good.

Top five for me are
    Washington Redskins
    Oakland Raiders
    Atlanta Falcons
    New Orleans Saints
    Jacksonville Jaguars

7. By Dave Tegg on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I loved the all burgandy uni’s too kevin we dont wear them enough especially against the “White” uni coloured teams.

8. By Dave Tegg on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

what would you like the new design to be?

9. By Tom Harry on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I am an OLD Skins fan. I would like to see the Feather on the helmet like the early 60′s . Plus I would like to see them use the Gold helmets with burgundy jerseys every once in awhile. Love the gold pants and burgundy socks with the stripes. Don’t know why people like the Raiders, they are the Penn State of pro football except for the helmet.

10. By Antonio on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Im a die hard Redskins fan myself, but Im tired of seeing those uniforms myself. The Redskins need a new design bad, when google the Redskins, they have a all black unifrom design on there. I truly think Dan Synder should take that design, maybe an all white helmet to go with those all white uniforms. However, we definetly need some black uniforms.

11. By Dave Tegg on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Black isnt a traditional Redskin colour, when I see black I see the Raiders Burgandy is OUR colour no one else has it it is US i dont want to change

12. By Jimmy on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I like the uniforms just the way they are, but if I had to pick an all-time favorite it would be the 75th anniversary uniforms. By the way Andrew, are there any updates on Fedex Field’s construction with the upper deck?

13. By MrPeanut on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been hoping for years that we’d make a permanent switch to the 70th anniversary unis. The colors were actually burgundy and gold (not maroon, yellow, and black, ahem), and like others have said, the native american logo is feeling a bit dated now. The spear or the helmet is a much more intimidating symbol anyway. Even though those unis were throwbacks, they felt much fresher and more modern than our current one.

14. By Matt on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

If the Redskins revamped their uniforms by adding black as the dominant or secondary color, then they might as well change their nickname to the Blackskins. Uh, no. That doesn’t fly with me. There’s no need to add any color that’s not already part of their color scheme. Adding black to the Skins would be like the Raiders adding a bit of burgundy or gold to their own uniforms, and I have no doubt that Raiders fans would be up in arms if the team added another color to their silver and black.

As for the Skins current uniforms, I think any of their jersey/pants combinations are fine, but I’m not a huge fan of the socks they wear with the gold pants; they’re a bit outdated looking, and the stripes don’t really go with the stripes on the jerseys. Solid burgundy socks, or the white socks with the burgundy/gold stripes would look better. And for some consistency, take the current gold pants, but add a burgundy and white stripe running from top to bottom, just so the pattern would resemble what the current white and burgundy pants look like. Also, Nike really butchered a lot of these jerseys with those hideous flywire collars; they look like fangs, and I’d like to see them fixed.

15. By wallace on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Burgandy and gold are the best colors in the NFL. The combination of gold paints with white or burgandy jersey is great,Burgandy jersey with gold pants is great. Dump the white period.

16. By Geoff on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Looong time Redskins fan and uni-enthusiast. As much as I love the Skins, I’m in the camp that the uniform desperately needs a “refresh.” After several logo/uni changes in the 1960′s and ’70s, the uniforms are essentially unchnaged since 1979. Thoughts:

DO:

1. Go for a deeper burgundy color and a “Vegas gold” instead of the “Packer gold” for the pants. The Skins look too much like the Chiefs in color these days. Think the colors of the 70th anniversary throwbacks.
    2. Grey facemasks. Please
    3. Keep the striped socks currently worn with the gold pants.
    4. Gold pants all the time – ditch the burgundy and ESPECIALLY the white pants.

DON’T:

1. NEVER EVER develop a black jersey or uniform, or even attempt to add black anywhere to the color scheme. I’m sorry, but black jerseys or uniforms for any team that doesn’t have black as part of its color scheme is awful (see Arizona Cardinals’ black alts. Terrible.)
    2. Don’t change the logo. The spear logo is fine, but the current logo is the best.
    3. Don’t ever wear those god-awful Lombardi era yellow helmets again. That game against the Giants in those uniforms is forever to be known as the Ronald McDonald game.
    4. Don’t make a radical uniform change (ala the Cardinals or Broncos or even worse, the Seahawks.) Many elements of the current design should be maintained or accentuated – bring back sleeve stripes, add more side stripes to the gold pants. Eliminate the gold facemask and maybe even remove the helmet stripes. A freshened “old school” look would be great (think about Buffalo’s redesign last year – they went from one of the worst looking teams to the best by adopting a neo-retro look.)

17. By Brad on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m not a redskins fan, but I found this blog by searching google about the Redskins uniforms. I just wanted to say that the Redskins have one of the best uniforms in the NFL. I am a “uniform enthusiast”, and the Redskins look sharp in HD.

18. By LongTimeSkinsFan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I absolutely HATE the yellow pants — especially with the white Jersey! The best uniform in the league is the Redskins white Jersey with the burgundy pants with the current helmet. These are the Championship uniforms from the Gibbs era, and should become the standard permanently!

19. By NCSkinsfan on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I agree that the Gibbs era white jersey/burgundy pants should be maintained. Three Super Bowl titles in those unis must be respected. Unlike the Gibbs era, however, use them as visitors unis (or to screw up the Cowboys, as originally intended). I love the retro gold pants and burgundy jersey set. It is technicolor, and makes whoever they are playing look drab and boring.

1. 1 Trackback(s)