• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.

Inside The Park: Keeping Healthy & Limber

Posted by Andrew Walker on August 7, 2012 – 9:11 am

Hey ‘Skins fans. For today’s “Inside the Park,” I’m going to talk about some of the things that my teammates and I do to keep our bodies fresh throughout training camp and throughout the season.

One thing that I picked up last season is foam rolling. A foam roller is a cylindrical tube of hardened foam used to aid in muscle recovery. By rolling on the foam roller, you can work out some of the knots that form in a certain muscle group.

Ten minutes on the foam roller can have your legs feeling significantly looser. I started foam rolling during my combine training but last season I decided to foam roll every day, and it has really paid off.

After my legs are nice and loose from the foam roller, I stretch. Many soft tissue injuries can be prevented by staying limber and maintaining flexibility. I go through a stretching routine every day after I foam roll not only to maintain my current flexibility but to also become more flexible.

(Here are a few of my workout aids at home.)

Being a linebacker, I need to have more hip fluidity than I did as a down lineman in college. This hip fluidity allows us LBs make plays in space and to be able to cover receivers better. By stretching after foam rolling, you advance the recovery process significantly.

Lastly, I sit in the cold tub for 10-15 minutes. I mentioned the cold tub in a previous blog post and how it has become one of my best friends over the past few years dating back to my days as a Boilermaker. It is a great way to recover, but by stretching and foam rolling in addition to cold tubbing, you keep yourself limber and flexible.

Tomorrow I’ll discuss my diet and how I feel it helps me sustain the rigors of the season.

Here’s a couple fan questions for today. Please go ahead and ask whatever you want to know in the comments below, on the Redskins Facebook or Twitter accounts. There’s been lots of great questions so far.

From ‘Rick James’ on the Redskins Facebook:
“I want to know why the wild man from college cut his hair. He used to get double digit sacks when he had long hair. Now he is too clean cut. Nobody is afraid of him. Get scruffy Ryan.”

(AP photo of my Tarzan phase)

Fair question, sir. First off, when you make the comment, “Nobody is afraid of him,” I think of a quote that one of my high school friends used to always say: “You don’t gotta be scared to get your butt whooped.” Haha, secondly, the long hair was awesome. I loved having it when I had it but there comes time for change in life and at that time the hair needed to go. It was too long and although it looks cool coming out of the back of a football helmet, the other six days of the week when I wasn’t wearing one it was just long and annoying. Who knows, though; maybe the locks will make a return one day.

From ‘Brandon Franklin’ on the Redskins Facebook:
“Do you remember your FIRST pick six?”

Ahh, yes. My first pick-six came during my junior season in high school. It was very similar to the play against the Giants last season. I batted the ball in the air, caught it and took it to the house – except in this one, it was about an 83-yard return versus the 9-10 yard one against the Giants. It was the first touchdown I ever scored, too. Definitely one of my fondest football memories.

(Editor’s note: You can watch that play by clicking here.)

I’m Ryan Kerrigan – you stay classy, Redskins fans.

HTTR!

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “Inside The Park: Keeping Healthy & Limber”

1. By WallyG3 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

And the shake weight?

2. By Rob on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,
    Has anyone ever compared you to Redskins Great “Sam Huff”? I see a lot of simularities between you and Sam!!!

Thanks,
    Rob

3. By Tee on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Hello Ryan,

My son is a big fan of your…he see all the best players have tattoos how come you do not have one? or you do you have any that we just don’t see?

4. By Saroun on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,
    Thanks for blogging this season. Great insight as to how you took every single defensive snap last year! Weekend warriors like myself can benefit from your tips. Keep working hard, us fans really appreciate all those lonely hours you put in to make us happy on Sundays.

HTTR!

5. By RussianBreadMaker on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

That is by far the worst photoshop that I have ever seen. unreal.

6. By RIC OLIVER on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

HEY RYAN COACH OLIVER JUST WANT TO LET YOU (LIKE YOU DIDN;T) I’M VERY PROUD OF YOU AND WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED. ALSO PROUD OF THE WAY YOU HAVE REMAINED HUMBLE THROUGH YOUR SUCCESS. FYI RYAN PLAYED FOR ME IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND IT WAS OBIVIOUS THEN HE WAS GOING TO BE AN OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL PLAYER AND YOUNG MAN. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK KIDDO