• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 11, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Inside The Park: 1st Practice In The Books

Posted by Ryan Kerrigan on July 26, 2012 – 10:35 pm

Note: Each day during the team’s training camp, Washington Redskins’ outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan will blog his insights about the team and his own life as he begins his second season in the NFL. To ask Ryan a question for the blog, you can leave a comment below, tweet your question to the Redskins’ account (@Redskins) with the hashtag #KerriganBlog, or leave a comment on the Redskins’ Facebook or Google+ pages.

What’s up ‘Skins fans?? I just got back to the hotel after the first real day of camp and man, am I beat! It was great to be back playing ball again, though. Practice went pretty well for the team overall but geez it was hot! I don’t think I’ve ever sweated more than I did today.

I kept thinking to myself about the scene from Anchorman when Ron Burgundy is walking around the city and yells, “It’s soooo HOT! Milk was a bad choice!”

Despite the heat, we were able to have a really good first practice. I liked that we were able to carry over a lot of the things we learned throughout OTAs and build on them today at practice. I can’t begin to tell you how excited all of us are for this season!

I’d be remiss not to mention the OUTSTANDING fan support we had today. Thanks to all of you that made it out; it really makes practice exciting when you all are out there. I hope you all can keep it up throughout the rest of camp.

(Here I am talking to the media after our first walk-through session Thursday. AP photo)

Here are a couple great questions. I encourage you to keep on asking whatever you want to know by commenting below or by sending your questions to the Redskins’ social media pages.

From ‘Leon’ (@Leon9231) on the Redskins Twitter:
“How does it feel to play alongside a leader like London Fletcher? #Kerriganblog”

It’s been a privilege to be able to play alongside someone like London. The term “coach on the field” gets thrown around a lot, but he really is just that. He makes us all better. He’s someone who I hope to emulate in virtually every way.

From ‘Dan Dering’ on the Redskins Blog:
“What is single biggest difference for you compared to last year?”

I’m much more comfortable in knowing my responsibilities this year. Last year I was learning on the fly and it took me a little bit to feel confident in my assignments, but so far this year, I’m more confident in my responsibilities which, I believe, will allow me to play faster and more effectively.

That’s all I got for today though. Time to hit the hay and get ready for tomorrow.

HTTR!

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “Inside The Park: 1st Practice In The Books”

1. By D.C.DieHard69 on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ryan,

A lot of so-called experts continue to have the Skins ranked dead last in the NFC East, lucky to finish with 6,7,8,wins at best, etc. Do you, in your heart and mind, think and/or believe this to be true, or do you see our Washington Redskins truly beginning our winning ways once again, which will obviously have all these genius prognosticators back tracking and changing their tune??

I know as a real football player who loves the game,you like to think you have a chance of being a winning team every year, but I need your true, realist and inside opinion please. Born a Die Hard Skins fan.

2. By RussianBreadMaker on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Wow, that’s pretty nice of Kerrigan to take the time to write this fun and insightful piece. Hail

3. By JJ on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Ryan, great to have you guys back. What is the number one thing that you are looking to improve in yourself this season?

4. By BigDaddyTM on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Good Stuff Ryan, keep it up.

5. By Robert Willis on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

SUPER BOWL BOUND ?????

6. By @Vic7o3 on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

You’re the man Ryan! Keep up the good work and take care.

7. By Sam on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Who’s your favorite all-time Redskins player?
    Toughest opponent you faced last season?
    Team you expect to come out of the AFC to meet you in the Super Bowl? :)
    And, there has to be an RG3 question, so when is “Redskins Crazy Sock Day” during camp this pre-season?

8. By krystal on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Do u have a gf ?

9. By Denise Shaffer on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated about camp..can’t wait for the season to start!! HTTR!!

10. By twa1264 on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

first of all I would like to say we will have a good year.And yes I think RG3 will be a big part of it.no disrespect to Grossman but I think we improved a great deal at that position as well as wide reciver.now if our offenive cord get his play calling right we will have a very good year.Not a super bowl year but a playoff year maybe. Well good chance.Good Luck Washington.

11. By Mrs. Thomas on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

How is your pass coverage coming along? Which receiver that your going to face this year worries you the most?

12. By Mick on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Kerrigan, my question for you is about our defense , it seems like when we play Dallas we wait until the last minutes to have something crazy happen. Do you think this year we have learn from that and will kick the cowboys butt all 4 qtrs?

13. By Franco on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Woo!! Redskins!! Ryan you a monster I hope u grab double digits this year…All the way from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas..HTTR!!…Oh and Is J. Jenkins looking as good as he was this time last year?

14. By Jay Phillips on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

I was out there in that 110 degree day for six hours and yall looked amazing. Lots of young raw talent and it made me very excited. My only comment, is that you should definitely sign a few autographs after practice. Me, the people that i was with, and the load of skins fans we met around us, all were looking forward to having you come over to us. :) I understand and everything, i just wanted to get out of there too, but show us some love!

15. By submensa on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Ryan….I was wondering if you think they will use Cousins as a holder on field goals… so the threat of a fake will always be there. I can’t wait to see Jarvis
    in the mix! Make the doubters eat their word!

16. By Brad Hall on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

what does it mean to be a REDSKIN? not just a NFL football player, but a REDSKIN!

17. By Lavar56 on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Ryan,
    I have a fairly large group coming to get a glimpse of the future Super Bowl team :) and a few of us are just as much a fan of you as we are a fan of the Redskins so i hope that you are able to hang around and ink a few autographs tomorrow. Wish you the best this season!

18. By Purdue Saturdays, Redskins Sundays on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

As a Boilermaker and a Redskins fan, I’m interested which Purdue Boilermaker you would most like to play alongside again in the future? (NFL player or current Boilermakers are both eligible)

19. By hosch on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Kerrigan, how many sacks are you dreaming of having this season. Are you and Orakpo in a friendly battle to put up bigger numbers. Also, you have an instinctual propensity to cause sacks via forced fumbles when getting after the QB, do you know what the league lead in those numbers were last year, do you think you could beat it now that you are more comfortable in the LB position. Also, you seem to react most immediately of the linebackers deciphering if it is a run or pass, it seems like you have been coached to understand so well that you now read it instinctually. Is that something you have specifically worked on throughout your career or have you simply gotten so much experience that you recognize it quickly at this point.

20. By Tom on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Ryan do you wish you could have played alongside sean taylor, although you are a LB your aggressiveness and big hits reminds me of him, thankful you play for us

21. By John Ceciliani on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

John Riggins was my all time best Redskin to watch on the field. And the stories were all good and intertaining. Nothing better than watching your back headed North with three tackelers hanging on him. Dexter Manly and Charles Mann were great to watch also. What a defence!!! Who could forget Darrell Green, the fastest man forever. I hope we can come out of this season with some real stars that we can count on and grow to know. Dedicate that first sack to me Ryan. 40 year fan from Portland Oregon.