• Fri., Apr. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Apr. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Apr. 30, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., May. 01, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Jerseys Technologically Superior

Posted by Brian Tinsman on April 4, 2012 – 12:42 pm

Perusing the comment sections on the blog and fan forums over the last 24 hours, I was surprised to see that while many fans are happy that the uniforms look mostly the same, others were passionately negative about the Nike Redskins approach.

Of those people, most were justifiably jaded by the hype machine behind yesterday’s unveiling, following months of speculation on false concept jerseys.  Others were upset that there were no gold pants, some wanted a total makeover, and “Dale C” was certain that he had spotted pink in the new Redskins jerseys.

I assure you that it’s not pink, just poor lighting.

But what fans should celebrate is that the Redskins chose tradition and substantive change, upgrading the jersey design to the best available options in the league.  Yesterday, we learned the specifics of the new technology, including cutting edge ‘Flywire technology,” “zoned mesh ventilation,” and aircraft-grade aluminum belts.  Seriously.

In total, the Redskins were one of only 10 NFC teams to make all nine available jersey upgrades.  In the NFC East, it was only the Redskins and Giants that elected for the state-of-the-art technology, while the Eagles elected to make no changes at all.  The Cowboys made eight-of-nine possible upgrades, but elected against the Flywire technology, which locks the jersey collars to the players pads.

For Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo, that technology was the best feature of the new jerseys, as he shared his thoughts with the media in New York (via CSNWashington):

So be at peace, Redskins Nation.  If Orakpo likes the new jerseys and players don’t have to modify their jerseys in-game, then this is a major upgrade–even if it doesn’t look like it.

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “Redskins Jerseys Technologically Superior”

1. By Michael Bell on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I like the white pants I have always hated the color of the gold pants, I think the jerseys look good and we need to keep the same look but I would love to see some alternate jerseys or some different combinations. In all I did not expect to see any wild changes but I would love to see some new looks and maybe some spears on the helmets and shoulders like the old school jerseys.

2. By LongTimeSkinsFan on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Let’s hope we’ve seen the last of the stupid yellow pants – forever!

3. By zell7 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Is it me or does it seem like this guy is basically telling us to just shut up and take it? Yeah ok so they changed the tech. which after all the hype should be a given the point is that we didnt want a new-old uniform and while we didnt ask for a total overhaul a little design scheme would suffice. Team Uniforms are more for the fans than the players anyway. What I mean is we’re the ones who buy the jerseys and other apparell and its because of our appreciation love and support for our teams so we’d like to look good while wearing them especially if it means we can tell our rivals “Hey my jersey looks better than yours” its that simple. Players dont/shouldnt care about the uniforms (unless your the Seahawks);they have jobs to do on the field theyre more concerned with feel than look and their only real connection to the uniform comes in the form of a paycheck so next time try to think about us fans 1ST COMMENT RANT!!!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!

4. By InLoveWithTheRedskins on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Not sure about the new uniforns yet, I will have to see them in person to make any judgement! Personally I liked the gold pants! Our colors are BURGUNDY & GOLD!

5. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

@zell7–

I’m not telling you to shut up and take it. I’m asking you to put aside style and focus on substance. The substance of the jerseys are now better, and the style is traditional. Change should be done when it makes something better. Changing the material and style of the jerseys makes them better. Changing the appearance of the jersey in the simple effort to sell them to fans is superficial and selfish if you ask me. You want to talk about the “real connection” of the uniform, why not have it be something that means something, not just looks cool?

The value of a jersey is whatever you put in it. For the players’ concern, these jerseys are structurally better than the old ones. That’s substantive change, and it’s a good thing.

6. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

@zell7–

7. By Chris on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know why your surprised by peoples reactions. I doubt a single fan cares about “aircraft-grade aluminum belts” whatever the heck that means. Considering most fans buy jerseys and wear them every Sunday I think we are ONE HUNDRED PERCENT JUSTIFIED in caring what we wear 1/7th of the year looks like. Several of the concept uniforms were pretty cool looking so I think it’s fair that people are disapointed. Lets be real here, do you think even 1 fan was thinking “man I can’t wait to see all the technological innovations to make this uniform more comfortable for the players”?

All that said I’d rather win the superbowl than have a cool uniform but this whole story was just overhyped for everyone but the seahags.

8. By Woody on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

New technology is always good in the sense it should help the players in their performance on the field. PersonallyI always liked the 75th Anniversary look with the true burgundy and gold and the spears on the helmet. The color scheme since is basically a red and yellow. If want to be called by your colors, go back to the Jurgensen era uniform.

9. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

@Chris–

It’s not comfort, it’s performance. Do you enjoy watching your favorite player on the sidelines because of cramps and overheating? Do you enjoy watching your favorite player get brought down by the tail end of his jersey, or mauled at the line of scrimmage by his sleeves? No, you don’t, and these are innovations that will help to fix those problems.

If there are two players with the exact same skills, and one has better equipment than the other, then he performs better. Isn’t that what this is all about?

10. By Jeff on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I liked the uniform combination instituted by Joe Gibbs, the white shirts & burgundy pants. I thought the Skins looks sharp in that uniform. I wouldn’t mind seeing a true burgundy & gold uniform, similar to Florida St., as long as it was gold not the day-glo yellow/yellow pants they have been wearing.

11. By ALLinSKINS on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Would love for the skins to keep the core colors but just upgrade the look. A good example of this was the Vikings. They upgrade the look of their uniforms but kept the same colors.

As fans we really don’t care about the performance of the jersey as much as we like the way the look if we decide to purchase. As a devote Nike guy I am glad the NFL is back in bed with Nike. I like Seattle new uniforms

12. By 007 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Mffft!!!!!!!!!

13. By RussianBreadMaker on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Brian,

Any word on when the organization will be revealing the alternates?

14. By gene on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Who cares about the technical aspects of the Nike uniform, it’s how you play the game that matters, all this gaining competitive advantage through superior technology is a bunch of meaningless hype and these uniforms belong in sporting goods clearance bin, The main issue should be how are we preserving our proud 80 year old tradition of excellent design that’s being buried by Mr. Snyder and Mr. Allen. We don’t need a Nike inspired costume, Nike wouldn’t know good design if it came up and bit them on the ass (my professional opinion). Anyone who discounts the value of the right color and design for the right product is simply ignorant, take a look at the world around you, what attracts your eye? What makes you want to buy? Design and its influence are all around us.

15. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

@RussianBreadMaker–

No details yet, but I do know that the league left it up to the discretion of the teams. If I’m a betting man, I’m looking out for mid-May. Just a hunch :)

16. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

@gene–

And what makes you think that the product is deficient or doesn’t sell? There’s a large assumption that change was necessary, but the last time I checked, it’s a product that sells like hot cakes. I’m not sure what the huge issue is.

17. By gene on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Question: If there are two players with the exact same skills, and one has better equipment than the other, which one performs better?
    Answer: The player that wants it more…that’s football son

18. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@gene–
    You miss my point, so I’ll give you an example that we can all remember. Do you remember the game against the Cowboys in Week 3? In the first half, the Redskins clearly had the wrong cleats on, and were slipping all over the place on the turf. The offense managed only three FGs in the first half, two of them from 45+.

They were wearing the wrong equipment. They could not execute on offense because they could not plant their cleats and make cuts. Their equipment was inferior to that of the home team Cowboys.

Even when they tried to make adjustments at halftime, there was only so much that the equipment staff could do. They didn’t have what they needed to win the game, and they ended up losing by two points in a game they should have won. Do you question their health? No, they were clean at that point. Do you question their desire? Not in that game–that’s their archrival.

They lost be the slimmest of margins because they didn’t have the proper equipment. When ALL ELSE (desire included) IS EQUAL, the superiority and inferiority of equipment becomes an issue. That’s not just football, that’s life.

19. By gene on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

We will have a chance to see how it pans out as only 10(?) teams opted to use them. Will those teams with the high tech versions play better and have better records, if so the whole league will have them and we’ll have a level field again.
    Yes there are unique circumstances where equipment gives a team advantage as you mentioned (thanks for sharing). I remember a game in the 60′s, Redskins were at Philly’s Franklin Field where they just installed AstroTurf. worst field ever, players hated it as it felt like falling on concrete, on this day the plastic grass froze then sleeted and cleats could not hold traction on the equivalent on concrete, In the first half no one could move the ball down field and it turned into a brutal trench war. At halftime Coach Lombardi instructed the equipment manager to pull out tennis shoes for our RB’s and WR;s and an aerial attack led by Sonny Jurgensen moved the ball down field as our fleet footed WR’s picked apart the Eagle secondary leading to a victory. The difference in this game was clearly the tennis shoes and the foresight to even bring them to a road game as Philly in their home field had no answer for the elements. That was great moment of equipment management in the Redskin tradition.

20. By gene on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

First of all anything you put on the shelf will sell because fans want jerseys, selling like hotcakes, compared to what? Do you sell more jerseys worldwide than the Oakland Raiders who have stuck with tradition with the Silver and Black, I remember when it was common to hear the Redskins referred to as the Burgundy and Gold. What bothers me most is that this uniform debate has been raging for years, I know it, and you know it, and Mr. Snyder and Mr. Allen know it and its become a charade. Fans have been asking for change for years so it should be really no surprise to you that many of us are passionately negative and I’m particularly disturbed and disappointed by the hyper-defensiveness from our organization in regard to this issue. I give huge credit to our organization for its previous “retro” efforts for the burgundy gold with slashing spear helmet and the white on yellow with R helmet, they were outstanding but how often did we see them? I am hoping that the new alternative is true to tradition and not screwed up by Nike, I’m hoping it’s a the single back feather on helmet, if so that would be great and maybe we’ll see it more than twice before our next 85th anniversary. This is all about preserving an 80year tradition of fantastic gear that has been is buried in the grave but I’m not sure that’s something the Nike generation understands. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

21. By Andy on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

how about a poll to see what people think? I am disappointed with the new uniforms, and I like the yellow pants.

22. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@Andy–

The gold pants still exist, I assure you. Check the other posts on the topic, a poll exists. Check ‘em out

23. By Chris on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@Brian-

Apparently you need to watch your own videos because Orakpo agree’s with me not you on this one.

Q: Well you get to wear the uniform what about it do you like the most.
    A: Uh, I just like the way it feels and the way it looks.

Not in 1 interview of any of the players at the event did any of them talk about how this uniform will increase their performance it was all about how it fits and how it looks. Twitter was the same way all anyone wanted to talk about was how it looks.

Apparently you don’t care about how your clothes look when you go out in public but I’m willing to put money down that your in the very small minority Brian.

24. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@Chris–

If you want to mince words, which does he mention first: style or substance? He said that he likes the way it feels. He expounds on how it fits better on his body, and explains how teammates won’t have to tailor their jerseys with scissors at halftime. That is exactly what I’m talking about.

Secondly, of course everyone is talking about how it looks, because only 32 players in the league have actually tried them on. All anyone else has been able to do so far is look at them, you and myself included. Once they do try them on, I can guarantee you players will be talking about how they feel.

Why on Earth would you assume from this discussion that I don’t care how I look? Why can’t I just be happy with how the jerseys currently look, and not want them to turn into the Terps? I respect Redskins tradition and I don’t want to see them throw it all away for something that looks cool on a made-up concept jersey. If you disagree, then I would suggest that you may be in the minority, Chris.

25. By gene on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Comfort is great, there is nothing like a new suit that fits perfect, color? style? who cares as long as it fits good. WRONG, color, style and design mean everything to loyal fans that expect the best of everything from OUR organization, we want perfection at every level and its wrong to dismiss style as trivial. Comfort is important and I’m glad our players have comfortable gear, the concept of comfort=better performance=more wins is ridiculous, I bet some of the players from the smash mouth era of football would be laughing until they wet their pants at this concept. If you love bland uniforms that’s fine but that doesn’t mean that the rest of us want Nike Circus sideshow uniforms. We want a return to tradition because we LOVE it and that doesn’t mean that we are content to get thrown a retro every five years like giving a child a treat.

26. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@gene–

I cannot appeal to you with logic, so I encourage you to rant until you are satisfied. You think the players from the smash mouthed era of football cared about fashion? No. They did not. This equipment is better than the old stuff. Period. HTTR

27. By gene on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Yes Brian players did care about what they wore and they took pride in their uniform and heritage, if you don’t believe me why don’t you ask some of our own players from the past what going to war in the burgundy and gold meant to them, I know Sonny and Sam are accessible, why don’t you get their thoughts. Of course the equipment is better than the old stuff, most of everything that surrounds us has improved over time, cars, airplanes, bicycles, I remember paying $300 for my first HP calculator it was remarkable now there are better versions sold in drugstores for less than $10, that is what we do as humans, we continually improve so I am with you 100% on the improvement to our equipment, I like the comfort aspect for the players, does this result in more wins, I doubt it makes that much of a difference but that’s just my opinion. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!! HAIL VICTORY!!!

28. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 6, 2012 | Reply

@gene–

We’ll see, man. Thanks for your thoughts

29. By gene on Apr 6, 2012 | Reply

You too Brian, we are all Redskin family and I appreciate your articles.

30. By Brian Tinsman on Apr 6, 2012 | Reply

@gene–

I appreciate that, and I like a lively debate. It’s all for the fans like you and I, HTTR!

31. By Shanen on Apr 8, 2012 | Reply

I completely hate these jerseys nobody got an advantage from Nike accept the Seahawks . I’m very tired of the same design from the redskins uniforms which have been the same for about a century! We should learn from the Seahawks with a revolution in uniforms.

32. By Mark on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see the Redskins go back to a more traditional uniform. Go back to the real gold helments with the single Burgondy stripe down the middle without the logo. Gold pants home and away would be nice to see to.

33. By Kemp Honeycutt on Aug 19, 2012 | Reply

Why in the world would management not eliminate the white and red pants and go with the awesome gold pants 100% of the time? I have talked to no fan that doesn’t prefer the gold pants.

The red over white scheme is boring, and white over red isn’t nearly as cool as white over gold.

And along with the gold pants, the striped red socks! best looking uni in the NFL!