As part of the Redskins’ Toys for Tots holiday toy drive, the Marines were on hand at FedExField today to man the collection boxes. Fans were encouraged to bring unwrapped toy donations to the game and/or give monetary donations to the men in uniform.
This also happens to correspond with the Redskins’ Military Appreciation Week, culminating in today’s Redskins-Patriots game.
The Redskins will display “Salute to Service” banners on the sidelines honoring all branches of the United States armed forces, in addition to honoring members of the military on the field as well as on the video boards as part of the team’s season-long “Operation Salute Our Troops” campaign.
The following pregame and in-game ceremonies are planned to recognize both veterans and active members of America’s armed services:
- USAA executives will present a game ball to a member from each of the five branches – Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard.
- A group of wounded warriors will be recognized on the field during pregame.
- Sgt. Vicki Golding of the United States Army Band will sing the National Anthem.
- USAA will honor servicemen between the first and second quarters.
- Former Redskins Cheerleader Kimberly Vaughn, whose husband Aaron Vaughn was one of the NAVY Seals killed in the helicopter crash in Afghanistan this August, will be recognized on the field with her two children.
- BAE Systems and Purple Heart will present the Purple Heart Award at halftime.
Other military appreciation initiatives embarked upon by the Redskins this season include:
- FedExField hosting the 112th annual Army-Navy game on Saturday, Dec. 10.
- The Washington Redskins and DRS Technologies teaming up to raise money for the DRS Guardian Scholarship Fund. The fund has provided college scholarships to children of National Guardsmen killed while serving their country since Sept. 11, 2001.
- Redskins’ players and members of the historic Arlington National Cemetery “Old Guard” connecting with military personnel in Afghanistan through video games at a “Pro vs. GI Joe” event on Nov. 8.
- Approximately 30 military veterans watching a closed practice on Nov. 11.
- The Washington Redskins, GlaxoSmithKline and other Redskins’ health and wellness partner organizations hosting the fourth annual Timeout for Military Veterans’ Health event that helped veterans tackle chronic diseases by offering free health screenings on Saturday, Oct. 29, at FedExField.
- The Washington Redskins teaming up with military appreciation partner Oshkosh Defense to raise funds for TAPS – the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors.
Tags: fedexfield, holiday toy drive, operation salute our troops campaign, redskins' military appreciation week, redskins' toys for tots, salute to service, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »