• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.

Bellamy Back To Work, With New Digs

Posted by Brian Tinsman on December 8, 2011 – 4:54 pm

Standing on the sidelines at FedExField last Sunday had to bring defensive back Travon Bellamy a certain sense of satisfaction.

Sure, he had been here before, but he had never really been here before.

It wasn’t that long ago that Bellamy was in middle school in Washington D.C., looking for his first official job.  The one he heard about was only as a seasonal gameday employee, but it was with the Washington Redskins.  His Washington Redskins.

After a few phone calls, Bellamy was all set up at a concessions stand at FedExField.  His polo and slacks weren’t quite the Sunday uniform that he dreamed about, and it wasn’t quite the role he thought he’d have with the organization–but it was a start.

Only a few short years later, it was the Redskins that came calling, to fill a hole on their practice squad.  And this time, Bellamy said his mom was crying with joy.

“Man, it’s awesome–a dream come true,” he said.  “Just to go from serving hot dogs and fries to playing for the Washington Redskins, is living the dream.”

Part of the dream is to go against the Redskins first string offense each week and help prepare them for the opposing defense.  Once he’s on the field, he snaps into game mode, but off the field he’s settling in too.

“It’s been amazing so far, I’ve just been meeting and greeting with everyone,” he said.  “The DB’s have taken me in, it’s just have a family atmosphere and I’m loving it.”

Speaking of family, Bellamy happens to be cousins with former Washington Post columnist and current ESPN analyst Michael Wilbon.  Bellamy and his Fighting Illini were a topic of discussion on Pardon The Interruption in the past, given that Wilbon attended Northwestern.

“My mom and I, we’ve spent time at his house downtown, and I’ve been on his shows before,” Bellamy said.  “But I haven’t seen him in a while.  I’ve been too busy trying to stay focused on football.”

Bellamy was an undrafted free agent who spent four days with the St. Louis Rams in training camp.  He’s already doubled that time with the Redskins, and is intent on sticking around here much longer.

“I’m doing everything I can to learn the playbook and I’m hopeful for the future,” he said, sneaking a grin.  “But right now, I’m just taking it one day at a time.”

Tags: , , ,

3 Responses to “Bellamy Back To Work, With New Digs”

1. By Sharon Wilbon on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I am very proud of you Tre. . .I know you will be the best you can be and the best that you can do and excel. . . I am very happy for you and things you have accomplish and set out to accomplish! I wish you the best!!

Love your Cousin,
    Sharon W.

2. By Grandma Goldie on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

Tre’, I am so proud of you. You kept the faith and now its here. Call me when you can. Li love you!!!!

Grandma

3. By Great Aunt .Johnsie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

You have always been in my prayers. I’m am so glad to be able to see how GOD is truly blessing you. Keep the faith and good work. God has much to acomplish through you.

Love and Prayers, Great Aunt Johnsie