• Sat., Aug. 23, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from M&T Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Ravens preseason game on Saturday, August 23, 2014.
  • Sat., Aug. 23, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM EDT Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker LIVE from M&T Bank Stadium during the Redskins vs. Ravens preseason game on Saturday, August 23, 2014.
  • Sat., Aug. 23, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:45 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media following the team's preseason game against the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md. on Saturday, August 23, 2014.
  • Sat., Aug. 23, 2014 11:45 PM - 11:55 PM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players speak to media following the teams preseason game vs. the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md. on Saturday, August 23, 2014.
  • Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Aug. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Aug. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Sep. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Champion ‘No-Shave-November’

Posted by Brian Tinsman on November 4, 2011 – 10:50 am

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Born out of the storied mustache tradition of “Movember,” No-Shave-November encourages males too grow facial hair during the 11th month of the year.  Officially, the phenomenon of No-Shave-November is done in awareness of prostate cancer.

Unofficially, it’s cold outside and it’s a great excuse to grow a facial sweater, and many members of your Washington Redskins are jumping on board.

“I think I started No-Shave-November when I was a baby,” confessed kicker Graham Gano.  “I was born with a full beard, and the first thing that I demanded was some beard trimmers.  Yeah…April 9, 1987, that’s the day No-Shave-November started…of course, it didn’t really catch on until November though.”

Probed as to why he has only a light beard now, Gano responded, “Oh, I had to give it up, because people started thinking I was Santa Claus.  I keep it right about here (a two, for facial hair trimmers), because if I shave my face, I look like a child, and I get carded when I go places.”

Gano revealed that he would grow his beard to Chris Neild proportions, but:

1. He’s not sure if he could pull it off,

2. It irritates him when he puts his chin strap on over the beard.

Rookie receiver Niles Paul is blessed with one of the strongest beards on the team, and plans to display his full potential this November.  “I’m going full beard,” he said.  “I want to see what I can really accomplish this year, because I’m going for the really thick look.”

Paul revealed that he is no friend of the neck-beard, and maintains a clear distinction between his face and neck.  He also said that he expects his level of play to increase as the month proceeds.

“I can only hope, I can only hope,” he said with a smile.  “By December I might keep it and have a No-Shave-Winter. Depending on how things work out, it might be No-Shave-Winter.”

Practice squad guard Eric Olsen brings a strong head-start into the month, crediting momentum with his secret to success.

“I think it might be cheating, but if you start from scratch on November 1, then you can’t really get that good of a beard before the end of the month. By December, I’d like to have, like, Keisel-from-the-Steelers-type of thing going on.”

Really?

“I dunno, that’s a little bit of an exaggeration,” he said with a scruffy grin.

No-Shave-November team historian and long snapper Nick Sundberg entered our conversation to provide historical analysis on the facial hair calendar.

“It’s Movember, first of all,” he said.  “Then it’s Decembeard.  Then it’s Manuary–if you really wanna go into it–and of course, Mustache-March.”

Wiser words were never spoken.

This is your first No-Shave-November report.  At the end of the month, we will turn to the Grand Marshall, Chris Neild, for his report cards.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Redskins Champion ‘No-Shave-November’”

1. By Redskin on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

Maybe they should worry about winning a game first and not their face hair.

2. By Storage Toronto on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey just so ya’ll know we will be donating $500 to Prostate Cancer Canada on the Mo Space of the person who has the best Movember moustache. All you have to do is submit a pic of your stash at our Self Storage Movember Contest website.

3. By Jefferey Melser on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

When it comes to hair trimmers, i really want those manufactured by Wahl or Philips. They are really of very high quality and they last very long. “”“*

Hope This Helps!

4. By http://seasonalhomedecorationtrends.weebly.com/ on Jul 19, 2013 | Reply

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your site. You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to
    write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please blast me an email if interested. Cheers!

Here is my blog post … xmas decor :: http://seasonalhomedecorationtrends.weebly.com/ ::

5. By Storage Vanccouver on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

I find the ol’ mustache is great for telling me how old I am. I shaved it off on my 30 th birthday……..that way I can tell how old I am when I am looking at old pictures.
    Cheers, Pete.