• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

The Pregame Meal Of A D-Lineman

Posted by Brian Tinsman on October 23, 2011 – 11:34 am

AP Image

Last week, we learned that cornerback Kevin Barnes can’t handle his pregame solids, and fullback Darrel Young saves space in his pregame diet for antioxidants.

I’m still fascinated by Brandon Banks’s pregame, “Buddy the Elf Diet.”

Now we take an inside look at the diet of defensive end Adam Carriker, who offered a deep enough analysis of his diet, that he earned his own post.

“Usually when I get to the stadium, I have a banana, and a protein bar,” he said.  “I used to do yogurt, but I don’t do that anymore, because they’re a pain and you need a spoon.”

The downfall of many great snacks.

“Then, right before a game, about three hours before, I try to eat a lot of pasta.  Try to get my carbs up,” he explained.  “They always have broccoli there.  I really don’t like broccoli, but for some reason, I always get some.”

Somewhere, his mother is very proud of him for feeling obligated to eat his greens before leaving the table.

“I think so,” he said with a laugh. “I feel like I should eat healthy right before a game.  So it’s spaghetti and broccoli.  I really like oatmeal, I’m usually smackin’ on some oatmeal.  It’s a really good food and I like the taste.”

Considering that oatmeal usually tastes like wallpaper paste (or whatever you put in it), I had to ask what the hulking lineman adds for flavor.

“Nothing,” he said proudly.  “I’m actually a cream of wheat kind of guy, but that takes longer to make and they never have it there.”

For those of you that would have tapped out and asked for a doggie bag, sit tight.  That’s only half of Carriker’s meal.

“I usually eat a chicken breast, because if you don’t eat some sort of protein, y’know, you get hungry real quick,” he said.  “So I have a chicken breast or two.”

Or five.

“And then, because I have to have something bad, I usually have three or four pieces of bacon,” he said with a big smile.  “Y’know, just to get something in there with some fat on it.”

“That’s pretty much it, man.”

Just a light meal.  Carriker essentially eats the food pyramid, brick by brick.

Carriker’s gameplan is to get one heaping plate of pasta and one plate for of everything else.  But in his defense, he doesn’t necessarily finish it every time.  There’s a method to the madness.

[Editor’s Note: For those of you enjoying your own pregame meal, you may want to pause and finish this story later.]

“The reason why I get all this food, is because I know that there’s a chance I might throw up,” he admitted.  “So I get a ton of food, where, just in case that happens, I have more to eat.  So I walk out of there with all of this food, and people look at me like I’m crazy.”

He continued: “I just tell them, ‘Well, I don’t plan on eating it all, but just in case I don’t make it through all of it, I’ll still have food in my stomach.'”

Carriker then went into graphic detail of his past experiences, which do not necessarily bear repeating.  But the end result is that one of the biggest, strongest members of the Redskins, actually has a sensitive side: his stomach.

And then he takes out his sensitivity on opposing ball carriers.

Tags: , , , , ,