• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Dec. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Dec. 07, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Rams kickoff on Sunday, December 7, 2014.
  • Sun., Dec. 07, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM EST Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker and Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField during the Redskins vs. Rams game on December 7, 2014.

Flutie Remembers Playoffs Vs. Redskins

Posted by Brian Tinsman on September 21, 2011 – 3:31 pm

Former NFL quarterback and all-around good guy Doug Flutie was at FedExField on Sunday to participate in the NRG Solar Bowl.

Over the course of his 21 seasons in professional football, he played for eight different teams (Patriots twice) across three different professional leagues.  But his NFL career began in Chicago, and his fourth NFL game was against the Redskins in the 1986 playoffs.

The game made an impression on Flutie.

“My worst memory was when I was with the Bears in the playoffs and we got beat by the Redskins,” he said.  “It was my best opportunity [for a championship], I thought, because we had a heck of a defense in Chicago.”

Flutie, was signed in December to replace an injured Jim McMahon, and guided the World Champions to a 14-2 record.  On Jan. 3, 1987, his Bears hosted the Redskins, and Flutie had a painful day.

Final stat line: 11-for-31, 134 yards, TD, 2 INTS, fumble.

“The only problem was I had just been there about four or five weeks and didn’t really know the system that great,” he said.  “I was there a short while, became a starter, and I just wish I had been more comfortable going into the system at that point. When it came down to it, threw a touchdown pass and we were going down for the lead. We were down by maybe four or something, and Walter Payton fumbled inside the 10.”

How often did Payton fumble?

“It doesn’t happen,” he said, shaking his head.  “And then Washington took the thing the length of the field, left us with a minute on the clock and up by two scores, and the game was over.”

Even 25 years later and a thousand miles removed, Flutie couldn’t help but shake his head, thinking back on his golden opportunity the boys in burgundy.  I’m sure standing in the presence of three other quarterbacks with a combined eight Super Bowl rings didn’t make it any easier, so I changed the subject.

With Flutie’s hard-luck career, he actually has a lot in common with the young players in today’s game that are similarly fighting to make and keep their NFL roster spots.

“Yea that’s tough,” he said of the offseason lockout and lack of OTA’s.  “I mean, this is like it was in the old days: jump in and learn under fire. Rookies got a little taste of what it used to be like but it’s a definite disadvantage. Especially for free agent rookies, they didn’t have a chance.”

Just don’t tell that to undrafted rookie offensive tackle, Willie Smith.  But his point remained.

“If you ask all these guys,” he said, gesturing to his quarterback companions, “when we first all came into the NFL there were no minicamps. There was one three-day minicamp, but that was a joke. That was more like everybody just come on down and hang out. Now they’ve got all this offseason stuff so they can step in as a rookie and make it.”

With the Redskins leaning on a lot of rookies and young players this season, it’s a good thing that times have changed.

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “Flutie Remembers Playoffs Vs. Redskins”

1. By dutchnblue on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

This is cool and all, but it is Dallas week. Let’s get something going.

2. By I Miss Mister Terl on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

Exactly, DutchNBlue.

Brian Tinsman’s posts are as boring and uncreative as they come. Yes, Matt Terl was an awkward gremlin of a man to look at in TV but he at least mixed up the content he posted. Yes, the 1987 video would be more interesting during Bears Week… which it ain’t!

3. By Brian Tinsman on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

@I Miss Mister Terl-

Content can always always always be improved. I accept any and all constructive criticisms, and I welcome your future suggestions for content. I would have saved the Flutie piece for Bears Week (which we don’t have this year), but I instead went with timeliness on a pretty cool chat that I had with Doug at the Cardinals game.

We’re all in this together, so tell me what you want to see, and I’ll see what I can do.

4. By Gstarr on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

Whoa guys!! I miss Mr Terl also, but I am enjoying Brian’s take on the Skins. The posts seem to be more “football oriented” than before. I’ve been reading this blog everyday!

5. By dutchnblue on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

No i love the new blog. It’s that i live in Michigan and i really like to get pumped up before the cowboys games. I made the mistake of judging the new blog before giving it a chance. Love the blog.