• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., May. 02, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., May. 05, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., May. 06, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Vonnie Holliday Inspired By Theismann

Posted by Brian Tinsman on September 15, 2011 – 12:34 pm

AP Image

At this point in his career, former Redskins defensive end Vonnie Holliday could be considered a ‘grizzled veteran.’

But there was a time when he would have described himself as “a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed kid.”  And that’s that day that he met former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann.

According to Bob McManaman of The Arizona Republic, Theismann is responsible (or to blame) for Holliday staying in the league into his 14th season.

I still feel like I have those multi-sack games in me. That’s why I’m still playing the game. I remember coming in as a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed kid and talking to Joe Theismann and he said, ‘Look, Vonnie, keep that look in your eye. Play the game for as long as you feel like you feel now.’ And that’s why I’m still at it, because I still have that same feeling. I still feel like I can be productive, play at a high level, and I’m enjoying it. I still have that love and passion for the game.

So I guess if Holliday has a big day on Sunday, you can address your thank you notes to Joe Thesimann.

Holliday returns to Washington this weekend after starting the last two games at defensive end for the Redskins last season.  In July, he was traded for Redskins starting running back Tim Hightower.

Head coach Mike Shanahan categorized their final conversation as positive, after the trade was made.

“I had a good conversation with Vonnie,” he said.  “I let him know that I thought it was a great opportunity for him. Looking at the depth we have at that position right now, and our game plan I thought it’d be a heck of an opportunity for him.”

“Arizona wanted him, and it was a win-win situation for us.”

Holliday, however, told Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic News that he’s put a bull’s eye on his calendar for Sept. 18.

“You never get past that,” Holliday said. “I played for the Green Bay Packers many years ago (1998-2002) and any time we play Green Bay I’m fired up and looking forward to it. So there are no exceptions, especially the ‘Skins. It’s pretty fresh in my mind. It was a little over a month ago I was right in there, mixing it up with those guys.”

“Having played in that defense – although it was only a year – I certainly have a grasp of what they’re trying to do over there,” he said.

On Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m., we’ll see how much of a grasp he has on the Redskins.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “Vonnie Holliday Inspired By Theismann”

1. By Scott Rogers on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

Yesterday I had the privilage of meeting Joe Theismann at Fort Benning, Ga. I, having been a Redskins fan for over 40 years, was thrilled to meet him. I hope someday that he will be inducted to the Hall of Fame.

1. 1 Trackback(s)