• Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 3:50 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden talks to the media following  practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, Va. on July 31, 2014.
  • Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 11:15 AM - 11:45 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference A select Redskins player talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, VA. on Aug. 1, 2014.
  • Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 3:50 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Center in Richmond, VA. on August 1, 2014.
  • Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 11:15 AM - 11:45 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference A select Redskins player talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, VA. on Aug. 4, 2014.
  • Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 3:50 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, VA. on August 4, 2014.
  • Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Aug. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Rex Grossman Wears Many Hats

Posted by Brian Tinsman on September 14, 2011 – 6:04 pm

AP Image

The starting quarterback of the any successful offense has many roles to fulfill in leading his team to victory.  He must be a field general, huddle captain, locker room leader, manager of the offense, etc.

On Thursday, Rex Grossman tried on a few other hats for size.

He was a weather man.  When asked if the week of rain caused the offense to come out slow on Sunday, he said:

“No,” he said.  “We stalled out on the first two drives just because of what the Giants did.  There’s nothing we really could’ve done about it.  They had a tipped pass that would’ve been a first down, they brought a blitz that made me hot and I had to throw it away, and then that pass to Jabar [Gaffney] over the middle was just a little too far.”

He was a mathematician.  Asked how often his hot read comes open on a play, he thought about it for a second and said:

“About 70 percent, I don’t know—a pretty good amount,” he said.  “I definitely have to progress on a lot of reads, but the defense pretty much dictates that.  You try to get a good pre-snap read, but then once the ball is snapped just react and go through the progression.”

He was an Wild West desperado: Asked if he considered himself a gunslinger, he said:

“I think so.  I think I’m just smarter about it because of the offense,” he said.  “The offense allows me to do the things I like to do without trying to manufacture them myself.”

Check out the rest of the podium session below:

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Rex Grossman Wears Many Hats”

1. By david on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Why isn’t anyone asking about Rex’s ugly 4th QB fumble? He’s fumbled in 4 of his last 5 games, and over his career he fumbles once every 5 times he’s tackled. If I just heard that he was working on this, I could get excited about his ability to run this offense and be the Skins QB for the long-haul.

2. By Trent on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Possibly because he was grilled about it already in practice/sidelines/after the game? If he fumbles again or turns it over in a key situation this game against AZ, then you can be sure there will be more questions about it.

3. By Brian Tinsman on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@david-

There’s no question that it is a problem. And Trent, you’re right about that too, that question has been haunting him for a while in Washington. But what’s important to remember, is that he really is working on it. Last year, he turned the ball over 8 times in 4 games. That’s two per game. If he cuts that in half, that’s a huge plus already. Would be better eliminating all mistakes? Sure. But if that fumble had been returned for a TD, it would be a lot bigger deal than is being made of it, you can be sure.

4. By dutchnblue on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m more worried about his deep ball. Can he work on that?

5. By david on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

It’s not that I want people to ask Rex about the fumble to give him a hard time. I’m curious to know what he’s doing about his fumbling problem. It’s apparent to me what he’s doing about his interception problem — he’s trying to be more careful with the ball, take sacks rather than chances, and that’s great. But I’d really like to know what he’s doing about the fumbling issue. I have no doubt that QB coach Zorn would have a drill or two for Rex specifically to work on not fumbling while being hit.

To be clear, I like Grossman. I think he’s much smarter than people realize, and has a very high understanding of Kyle’s offense.

If I were his QB coach, each day after practice I’d have the “make Grossman fumble” game. I’d pull Orakpo, Cofield, and Landry aside, have them surround Grossman as if they are almost hugging him with Grossman in middle of the circle, and when the whistle blows, they have three seconds to swat and grab at the ball to make Grossman fumble. Grossman’s only job is to hold onto the ball for three seconds. Repeat 10 times. Whole thing will take just a few minutes after each practice.

6. By me on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Grossman needs a drill to help with the fumbling. That was not a blind side hit….did not need to be a fumble. He needs to have instinctive behavior and if anything has the inverse of the proper instinct now.

7. By me on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I am also still bugged by his weight. In a game where you want any little edge to help overcome opponents and even in a situation where Grossman should be showing himself off for the FA market next year, to show up with poor body composition bothers me. (And yes….I think Billy and Sonny would have been better lighter.) Add onto Rex having a bad knee (operation) and weight reduction being one of the easiest things to do to help lifelong productivity on a bad knee.

Yeah…he’s better than Beck. And yeah the system helps him (just like Todd Collins in 2007). Actually I still think Bartel was better than Beck.

I kind of like Rex’s quirky personality and “swagger”. But not being in shape…just no excuse. He should have been taking care of the carcass (eat salads and meat, etc.) during the offseason. Not asking him to be Tarzan…but no reason for the excess weight. Only linemen really benefit from fat.

8. By Brian Tinsman on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

@me-

It feels creepy to write responses to me…

But yes, extra weight isn’t very good from any position at the pro level, but I think it’s been a severely overblown story. He hasn’t exhibited any lack of cardio vascular endurance, and with some of the issue made about that last year, I think it would come up. The point is that he executed last week, so I don’t think a few vanity pounds are really worth the hoopla. If you look around the league, you’ll find plenty of QBs that could lose a few donuts (Roethlisberger, Stafford, etc.) but these guys don’t have a different rate of success. In fact, weight can be a benefit if you’re taking hard sacks. So it’s a matter of perspective. For me, for right now, not an issue.

9. By vince m on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

This team will never beat good teams with Grossman in charge. He isnt a winner. Ciuldnt even come up qith one point against the lameduck cowgilrls when the game was on the line. He doesnt deserve to wear a redskin unifiorm!!! The defense played well but cant over,ome this loser.

10. By [ヴィクトリアウェア] on Sep 24, 2013 | Reply