• Thu., Jul. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Aug. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Players Recall 09-11-01

Posted by Brian Tinsman on September 7, 2011 – 2:17 pm

AP Image

Ask anyone in the United States where they were on 9/11, and most can tell you with exact description.

I remember that I was at home getting ready for school in Georgetown, Del. when I got a phone call from my mom to turn on the news.  I just sat on the couch all day and watched reports roll in.

Redskins players have some of their own vivid memories, and shared them in the locker room today.

Outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan was in middle school in Muncie, Ind. at the time:

“I remember I was sitting in my seventh grade social studies class when I found out,” he said.  “It really is one of those thing that you don’t forget where you were.”

Defensive end Adam Carriker had just begun his final year at Kennewick High School in Kennewick, Wash. at the time:

“I was driving to high school, my senior year actually,” he said.  “I was going down the hill and it came on the radio.  I couldn’t even believe what I was hearing, to be honest with you.”

Free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe was a freshman at Stanford University in California:

“Yeah, I was in Stanford, and we were at training camp.  I think I had just woken up, about to start the day and I was hearing all of these reports on the news about everything that happened.  So it was especially tragic.  There were a few guys on the team that had family members in the area.”

“I remember, that might have been the first time that I had ever missed practice, because coach definitely canceled practice.  And it was really just, I would say, a somber day because of how the country was attacked, and the tragic event that had just taken place.”

In the Redskins locker room, there’s a pretty incredible cross-section of memories, especially given the differences in age.

For example, in September 2001, defensive patriarch London Fletcher was already a Super Bowl Champion in the pros with the St. Louis Rams.  Kerrigan, who will start alongside him on Sunday, had only been able to get into PG-13 movies for a month.

All of these perspectives and emotions will come into play during the pregame ceremonies on Sunday.

Tags: , , , , ,

3 Responses to “Redskins Players Recall 09-11-01”

1. By fuad razzak on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

i was in the 4th grade and i remember walking in my house and seeing my aunt cry…i was so lost why she was crying until i saw the tv.

2. By K.Little on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I was on two months into my military career and i was in Texas at the time for training… My mom was calling me from DC to ask if I was okay and I was like “Mom I’m safe are YOU okay in D.C.?” She could she the smoke from the Pentagon from our house… Sad stuff… Here I am 10 years in with 10 to go… God Bless America, HTTR!!!

3. By Brian Tinsman on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

@K.Little-

Congratulations on the halfway mark, and thank you for the service to your country SSgt. Hail!