• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 12:30 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 31, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

John Beck Learning How To ‘Deal With It’

Posted by Brian Tinsman on September 7, 2011 – 5:52 pm

AP Image

The offseason lockout prevented all organized team activities that would normally allow players to grow in an offense.  Redskins quarterback John Beck turned to friend and Saints quarterback Drew Brees for advice on how to be a starter.

After he failed to unseat incumbent quarterback Rex Grossman, he’ll be using Brees’s guidance to help him be a backup as well.

“Drew always wore this shirt when we were working out that said ‘D.W.I.–Deal With It.’  It was in reference to the offseason and there being a lockout because every team was going to have to face it.”

The good kind of D.W.I.

When head coach Mike Shanahan named Rex Grossman the starting quarterback on Monday, it didn’t sit well with Beck.  He admitted that he had envisioned himself as the starter, prepared himself as the starter, and was peeved that he wouldn’t be the starter.

But at the same time, he knows that he still has a role on the team and a duty to prepare.

“I knew that was going to be a part of it, and I tried to do everything that I could on my own,” he said.  “Did I? I did everything I could.  Now it’s just about what can I do now to prepare myself because I have to be ready, and I’m going to be ready for if something happens.  I also need to be ready at practice so I can help our defense.”

Beck has displayed a fiery competitiveness since the end of last season, and made it clear that he will not be discouraged by his backup status.

Full video after the jump:

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “John Beck Learning How To ‘Deal With It’”

1. By mel andrews on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

John be a team player, Don’t put a shadow on the whole team. Keep a positive attitude, You will GET YOUR CHANCE TO SHOW WHAT YOU HAVE during a crucial time–THEN SHINE—-BE STRONG!

2. By mickael ahern on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Sorry but I think Beck clearly showed he should have the started qb position. Grossman would be perfect for coming off the bench, not Beck. Big mistake!

3. By david on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I feel for you John, I really do.
    Now don’t say another word about it.

4. By Redskins24/7Milennium on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Get used to being a benchwarmer, JB! If you coudn’t look against against a bunch of future CFLers & meatcutters wearing Tampa unis on Thursday, then you can’t cut it against the Giants depleted secondary on Sunday with Justin Tuck in your face. So sit back, hold the clipboard well and watch with the rest of us for Good Rex or Bad Rex.

5. By Brian Tinsman on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

@mickael ahern-

Perhaps it is, perhaps it’s not. I guess we’ll find out though, right?