• Thu., Apr. 17, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Apr. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Apr. 30, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Niles Paul Still Relies On Uncle Ahman

Posted by Brian Tinsman on September 5, 2011 – 6:28 pm

Now that Niles Paul has officially cracked the roster of an NFL team, it can officially be called a family tradition.

Niles Paul is the nephew of former NFL running back Ahman Green.  Though not a football star at the same position, Paul has always relied on Uncle Ahman for advice.

“My uncle has helped me a lot, and if he tells me something, then I take it to heart and I listen to it,” he said.  “I talk to my uncle pretty much every week.  We have extensive conversations just about playing football and everything that’s happened.”

Among the wealth of experience that he’s impressed upon his nephew, perhaps the greatest lessons are patience and staying humble.

“The first thing he told me when I got drafted, is, ‘You’re gonna have to put your pride aside and play in a reserve role and play on special teams, because those are a big part of playing in the NFL,’” Paul remembered.  “In college, I just did punt and kick returns my junior and senior years.  But now I just need to just worry about contributing, because everyone has a way that they can help contribute to the team.”

Paul did get a few opportunities in the return game this preseason, but has held his own on offense, where he joins seven other receivers on the 53-man squad.

“I’m still learning and obviously I’m just hoping for a chance to just go out there with the guys and take on my roll,” he said.  “I’m anxious to see how this plays out and obviously reps will become an issue.  But I’m just gonna take the reps that I can get and make the most of it.”

“I’m gonna watch film and I’m gonna do everything I need to do to put myself in the best position to succeed.”

Paul stood out as a fearless, physical receiver at the beginning of camp, and did not disappoint in limited action during the preseason.  If his mentor is a man who gained 12,088 yards from scrimmage in the NFL, he should develop into a polished professional athlete.

Tags: , ,

3 Responses to “Niles Paul Still Relies On Uncle Ahman”

1. By monkeyhouse on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Niles is a pretty bright guy as well. He picked up on blocking right away. Ask any coach how much of a difference a WR who can block well makes!

2. By brennsdad on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Yeah and he caught Banks on that 95 yard return to help block, he seems to be devoted to do whatever he needs to do, I’m rooting for him!!!

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Sep 6, 2011: DMV: Terps Win In Fashion | Mr. Irrelevant, a D.C. Sports Blog by the Brothers Mottram