• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Eagles kickoff on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:15 PM EST Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker and Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField during the Redskins vs.Eagles game on December 20, 2014.

• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Dec. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Cowboys kickoff on Sunday, December 28, 2014.

Davonte Shannon Plays Big ‘D’ In B’more

Posted by Brian Tinsman on August 29, 2011 – 1:33 pm

AP Image

Tucked away in the stats pack against Baltimore was a really solid night by rookie defensive back Davonte Shannon.  He finished with a line of four tackles, two for a loss, one pass defensed, and a sack.  He also led the special teams in tackles with two.

He tweeted his excitement after the game:

And all of this for a guy who didn’t know if he was going to play on Thursday night.

“I didn’t even know I was gonna play until the night before, and I hadn’t played on defense yet,” he said after the game.  “I’ve been special teams a couple times but that was my first time. Coaches said that I could play second half, so I just try to go out there and be prepared and be ready, and try to get the ball.”

Not a bad showing for his first time on defense.

His highlight of the night was wrapping up Ravens quarterback Tyrod Taylor on a blitz from the slot.

“Well, I knew it was third down and it was a goal line call, so I knew we were blitzing safeties off the edge,” he explained.  “I read pass, and I seen the tackle setting high, so I just tried to beat him with speed, and I got around him. Tyrod Taylor was right there, and he tried to spin. I got my hands on him and just tried to bring him down.”

Taylor was one of the fastest quarterbacks in the draft this year, and is pretty slippery in the backfield.  For Shannon on the blitz, the second time was the charm.

“Man, it’s tough, ’cause he’s a very elusive guy, y’know,” he said with a smile.  “Early in the game, he got me: I blitzed on him, I could’ve had him, but he spinned out of it. But this time I knew I had a tackle upfield shoulder and just be prepared for the spin. This time he spinned and I was able to get my hands on him.”

Shannon improved his stock with a good showing in Baltimore, but knows that he needs to have another big game against Tampa Bay to stay on the radar.

“I knew it was gonna be tough, it was gonna be an uphill battle,” he said of making the roster.  “But the coaches handle that, and I mean, I know they’ll pick the best guys.  I try to control what I can control, and I’m just happy and honored to be able to come here.”

How does a guy with nothing to lose, prepare for his last preseason game?

“I’m trying to go in there with a mindset that this is my last opportunity to show the coaches what I can do,” he said simply.  “Just try to stay focused and go over all of the details of what the coaches want me to do and want me to work on this week.”

Shannon knows that his spot is in limbo, but if he continues to be a play-maker, he’ll be hard to let go.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »

One Response to “Davonte Shannon Plays Big ‘D’ In B’more”

1. By Chozyn Generation on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Yes God is good!!!! Keep up the good work!!!! Love and blessings!