• Thu., Jul. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Aug. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Catching Up With The Man Formerly Known As ‘H.B.’ Blades

Posted by Brian Tinsman on August 22, 2011 – 1:52 pm

AP Image

At the beginning of camp, two of the best-initialed players on the Redskins (O.J. Atogwe and H.B. Blades) requested to go by their given names of Oshiomogho and Horatio, respectively.

It turns out that after four years on the team, Horatio Benedict Blades just didn’t want to answer the same old questions.

“A lot of people ask me what ‘H.B.’ stands for,” he explained, “so I just simply changed it in the progam to ‘Horatio’ so that it would eliminate all of the gray areas.  Y’know, I thought it was an opportunity to put my regular name out there.”

As Blades went on to explain, the change was intended to be anything but exciting.

“People made a big deal about it initially because I was always known as ‘H.B.,’ but ‘Horatio’ was my name originally,” he said with a smile.  “So it’s not like I’m switching my name into something that it’s not.”

Cinco Cuatro Blades wouldn’t have been nearly as cool.

Blades has actually been going by H.B. for a long time.  “Since I was little, when my Auntie gave me the nickname, ’cause she didn’t wanna say Horatio,” he said with a laugh.  “And it kind of grabbed on because, ain’t nobody wanna say ‘Horatio.’”

My apologies Horatio, but I tend to disagree.

“When I got to college,” he continued, “my coaches started calling me Horatio, and everybody around here mostly calls me Horatio, so I go by whatever. It’s not a big deal either way.”

Most people fear the usage of the full name growing up, because it usually means that they’re in trouble.  Not so, for Horatio Benedict.

“No, no, no, whenever I got in trouble–y’know my grandparents raised me–it was ‘Mr. Blades,’” he said ominously.  “Then I was in trouble.”

But for the purposes of flagging him down with the Redskins, don’t worry about offending him one way or the other.

“Horatio is a pretty cool name,” he said.  “I go by ‘Horatio’ or ‘H.B.,’ whatever anybody wants to call me.”

“No, it’s not a big deal at all.”

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “Catching Up With The Man Formerly Known As ‘H.B.’ Blades”

1. By david on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

i was totally wondering about this, didn’t understand why he was being called “Horatio” in the washington post!

1. 1 Trackback(s)