• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

A Fan’s Guide To The Pittsburgh Steelers

Posted by Brian Tinsman on August 10, 2011 – 7:56 am

Pittsburgh Steelers fans travel notoriously well and don’t always make the best house-guests.  While they will probably be easy to spot, here are a few ways to protect yourself, should you find yourself surrounded at FedExField.

1. Keep the Steel City out.

The only reason why Steelers fans travel so well is because home fans sell them their tickets.

My solution: Don’t sell them your ticket!  If you can’t go, find a Redskins fan who can. If you don’t know any, run a background check before you sell it.  Find character witnesses for any prospective buyers–anything, but don’t sell your homefield advantage.

2. They will be carrying yellow Terrible Towels.

I will not criticize something that is sold for charity, but I don’t understand how you can sum up an entire franchise and city with a linen.  I don’t think that there’s a towel design that could sum up the entirety of Redskins Nation, and I’m proud that it hasn’t been done.

My solution: But, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.  You know the towels are coming, so integrate it into your own celebration.  Bring a Burgundy Towel to the game, and let the Steelers fans aid in cheering on the Burgundy and Gold.

3. They will be singing Wiz Khalifa’s “Black and Yellow.”

For the record, Wiz isn’t actually from Pittsburgh; he’s a transplant that was born in Minot, North Dakota.  From where he was born, I count at least eight NFL closer than the Steelers.

I also wouldn’t venture a guess (on a family-friendly blog) as to what Wiz is singing about, but I know it’s not football.  I’m not quite sure how this became the fan’s anthem, because it’s not really about the team or the city.  But I digress…

My solution: If they really want to pretend like “Black and Yellow” has to do with the Steelers, then remind them that the Redskins themselves did a video first–and it was better.  For those of you that forgot:

This isn’t a video from a fan to a team, it’s the team to the fans.  I don’t remember seeing Big Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison singing a song for the Steelers fans–do you?

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “A Fan’s Guide To The Pittsburgh Steelers”

1. By Blighter on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

This one made me chuckle heartily.

I go to school just North of Wheeling West Virginia, A small rural school with nothing but Steeler fans. My favorite device of torture was pointing out to them that the Steeler’s colors are black and *gold*. I get to head back to that crowd in a little more than a week. I’ll continue to stand proudly with my Taylor, Green, and Orakpo jerseys.

Wish I could come out and meet you at the game weekend, but I live the life of a poor college student. Tickets always have been and probably always will be out of my price range. For what it’s worth, I was a big fan of Matt, but you’ve come in and put your own touch on things. I dig it. Keep up the great work.

2. By John on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Every time the terrible towels get brought out, we miss a great opportunity: burgundy towels. Suddenly the sea of yellow becomes a stadium full of burgundy and gold. Take that, yinz.

All it would take is some good samaritan (or the owner) to drop a few grand on cheap burgundy towels to be handed out at the gate.

someone jump on this, for godsake.

3. By Brian Tinsman on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@Blighter-
    I really appreciate that brother, all of that. Stand proud for the Burgundy and Gold and I’ll keep giving you what I got :-)
    HTTR

4. By dutchnblue on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

haha best post yet!

5. By jt3 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

nothing worse than Steelers fan except for Iggles fans! I do respect them because they are loyal as hell though. We need to bring out the burgundy and gold towels for every game

6. By Matthew on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply