• Mon., Apr. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Apr. 30, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., May. 01, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., May. 02, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Rookie Receiver Isaac Anderson Not Backing Down

Posted by Brian Tinsman on August 9, 2011 – 3:10 pm

Standing on the sideline with my back to the fans every morning (inevitably blocking someone’s view), I get to hear the observations of the Redskins faithful.

Without fail, every morning I hear somebody ask during receiver drills, “Who the heck is No. 80?”

Meet Isaac Anderson, former Wisconsin Badger and undrafted wide receiver for your Redskins.  He may not have the name, he may not have the hype, but so far he’s doing all the right things to stick around.

“I’m just trying to go out there and learn as fast as I can,” he said.  “I definitely made a couple plays in back-to-back practices. I’m starting to pick it up and it’s a lot better being here and getting the install than trying to catch up.”

With the addition of players like Santana Moss and Donte Stallworth to practice, snaps have decreased across the board.  However, the presence of these players has only helped players like Anderson.

“I’m watching Santana’s every move,” he said of his strategy.  “I’m right behind him in line, in drills. Every time he lines up I’m watching him.”

Moss is the type of player that Anderson has modeled his game after for years.  Both players are 5-10 with a good mix of speed and hands.  Anderson knows that he has raw talent, but looks to Moss for the details on being a pro.

“I know he’s been doing it for a long time,” he said.  “He’s real crisp in his routes. So I just want to mirror that and steal a bunch of things from every other guy. If I can do what he can do, I should be able to play on this level.”

Moss, Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney have a combined 30 years of NFL experience, so he’s picking worthy players to emulate.  He also knows that their presence makes his job of making the team that much harder.

“I knew it was going to be a competition wherever I go,” he said nonchalantly.  “I definitely wanted the opportunity in camp for when my numbers called make the opportunity and make a play.”

Another person that ha asided in his transition, is wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell.  Using a combination of encouragement and accountability, McCardell has gotten the most out of everyone.

“He keeps it simple for you and demonstrates it for you,” he explained.  “He makes it real simple for guys to learn the plays. He has a high standard for everybody and shows no favoritism.”

“When he gives you an opportunity he expects you to make a play.”

And that’s exactly what Anderson has been able to do on several occasions during camp.

Whether or not Anderson makes the squad will be largely out of his control and subject to a numbers game at this point.  There are ten other receivers on the roster, but Anderson has done a lot so far to catch up to the pack.

He’s a certified long-shot, but has all of the intangibles working in his favor.

“Sometimes I don’t even know who’s throwing me the ball,” he said with a laugh.  “I’m trying to line up and run my routes.”

And that’s who the heck No. 80 is.

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Rookie Receiver Isaac Anderson Not Backing Down”

1. By RussianBreadMaker on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

nice post

2. By Melvin (His Father) on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I have coached Isaac from pee wee through high school and want everyone to know THAT HE IS THE REAL DEAL,

3. By Melvin (His Father) on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I have coached Isaac from pee wee through high school and want everyone to know THAT HE IS THE REAL DEAL.

Wisconsin did not use him enough and he is agreat blocker and really FAST!

Coach Shanhan >>> he would be a great and inexpensive addition to your team ” Keep him he will add much value to the team”

4. By Santoria (Lynne) on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Isaac has been a real inspiration to children and to those who know him. Keep up the good work Isaac. Keep God first and everything will work out fine.

The man you are today is the man I would like to see in all children growing up from infants to adolescents, you inspire alot of people.

I believe Coach Shanhan see what we all see in you. An inspiring, hard worker, and dedicated man. Who has speed, vision, quickness and intelligent.

I have read on the Y.D.S. program and if I wasn’t from Pittsburgh my son would be there everyday.
    Good Luck!

5. By Rich on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Good read, and I hope that he gets his chance to make some plays these first two weeks. You never know and with a position coach like Keenan McCardell who got passed over time and again, if he shows up on tape you never know.

6. By Al Hixon on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I watched all of the Wisconsin Games from the stands…most plays, I mean most every play Isaac would always be open…but they rarely threw to him, which I never understood. He has the speed, he has the athletic ability, he runs good routes… the quarterback at Wisconsin rarely threw Isaac the ball. So he doesn’t have the stats because they would not throw him the ball. Their offense was pretty much one dimensional, a running game with some plays throwing to the tight end on short routes, Wisconsin’s offense was extremely easy to defend, they had many weapons, like Isaac Anderson, which would have made their opponents game plan much more difficult, but for some odd reason, they decided not to use their offensive weapons. We fans in the stands would be so pissed; simply this kid (Isaac) would be open so much on so many plays to the point where we were just sickened. The few times they threw him the ball, he was exciting to watch, not only did he run the routes, he caught the ball and the extra yards Isaac would gain shows this kid is good and can play at the NFL level. Hands down this kid can play, don’t be fooled by his college stats, this had nothing to do with him. I was there; they had this gifted athlete in a bad offense. His addition to the Redskins would be an asset.

7. By D"neece on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Isaac was born to play this game. He is unique in his willingness to consistently go the extra mile, doing everything he can for the team to win…everything with Isaac is always about the team. The Redskins may find someone who works as hard as Isaac but they will not find anyone who works harder ( or smarter) than Isaac. The Redskins need to choose Isaac, and then sit back and watch the good things happen…they will not regret this choice.

8. By Michael (high school QB) on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Isaac makes plays and will out work the competition. Keep tearing it up! BB4L

9. By noname on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

We need that kind of player , who has the fight in him to play. we need players who WANT it , who are hungry with something to prove. We don’t need big name players. they should give him a shot , I have a hunch he’ll make it far if we cut him and they’ll be kicking themselves later over letting him go.

10. By Steve on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I watched Anderson throughout high school and college. Breakaway speed and good hands. But what he really learned to do at Wisconsin was to block downfield.

11. By Tamicka Clark on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Hi Issac – you have no idea who I am but your dad is my children’s Track Coach and I must say that I’m honored to see that he practices what he preaches. I pray some of the lessons that he may have drilled in you will rub off on my own children someday. Be safe out there and of course count your blessings. Peace!!

12. By Mike Jackson on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Good luck Issac, now you finally get your chance to show your skills. The games I watched Wisconsin play on TV you didn’t really get a chance to show your skills because they played the running game most of the time. I am praying for you and Washington Redskins.

13. By Dwaiin Saulsberry on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Isaac – Best wishes…do your thing, run the routes and live your dream. We all have total confidence in you.

Uncle Sauls

14. By Crystal Buckhalton on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Isaac, U want it, you take it…………..That’s what’s up!! Do your thing! I am proud of U. You are my favorite Athlete!

Godmom

15. By Coach Saunders on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Congrats on your professional endeavors fellow U W System Alumni. God is Good! Live out your dreams Bro!

Coach Saunders

16. By david on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey I am a small town writer and I covered the Big 10 Midwest for tha past 13 years. This kid Anderson can play but i think he was just a decoy for the Badgers. I think he’d be a great slot man and even a return guy. Why not keep the kid on the practice roster because I know he’s fresh and has played big time football and can once again stretch the defense.

17. By D. MACK on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Isaac, you have all the skills and ability to make this team. This can be you break out week. Just Do It. God Bless.

18. By Coach M (Blake lax coach) on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

You were always a gifted athlete and a GREAT person. I truly wish I would’ve had the pleasure to coach you in lax at Blake. Good luck at the next level. My only regret is it’s not in the PURPLE AND GOLD :)
    Take care bud!

19. By voshon spelker on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

you the best man ! no doubt ! wat ever you doing keep ding it this tamika walton nephew jeemiah cuzzin keep god first and do your best in everything you do