This morning sported the largest crowd so far at training camp, and there was a notable buzz in the air. Even though fans were only watching a walk-through, there was excitement to see the offense in action and anticipation of the free agent additions this afternoon.
No cameras were allowed (as per usual) and players were not available to the media (highly unusual), but here’s what we found out:
1. Chris Cooley was wearing a polo underneath his practice jersey. He was, by far, the most stylish player in practice, complete with his canary-yellow cleats.
2. Elvis was in the building. A fan with impressive mutton chops and poofy black hair was on hand to watch the practice. Think Elvis in his later years.
3. Head Coach Mike Shanahan took a long look at the defense. The team was split into offensive and defensive units, and Shanahan spent a lot of time on the back field working with the defense today.
4. NFL officials were on-hand, presumably to talk with coaches and players about rule changes this year. They were decked out in their full zebra-garb, which looked a wee bit out of place, given the informal nature of a walk-through.
5. Outside Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan was back out on the field, walking though special teams and defensive schemes with the team. No news on if he’ll practice this afternoon, but it looked like he was moving around pain-free.
6. Running back Ryan Torain was relegated to the sidelines today after injuring his hand in practice yesterday. Part of his quest in camp this year is to prove that he can stay healthy, so hopefully this is just precautionary.
7. Free agent safety Reed Doughty and free agent linebacker Rocky McIntosh were seen at practice today standing on the sidelines and signing autographs for fans. Both are expected to be back with the team.
A funny note for the end of practice, is that when players were leaving the field, most had to get back inside for team meetings. Fans were lined up, calling over their favorite players to sign autographs, and Oshiomogho Atogwe was a popular man. Fans were encouraged to start chanting “OJ! OJ! OJ!” by new Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson.
Atogwe laughed and took it in stride, signing a few more autographs before he went back inside.
Tags: Chris Cooley, mike shanahan, oshiomogho atogwe, Reed Doughty, ryan kerrigan, ryan torain, washington redskins
Posted in Uncategorized | 7 Comments »