• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference A select Redskins player speaks to media before practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Thursday, October 23, 2014
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Thursday, October 23, 2014.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Jersey Regrets: I Have A Few

Posted by Ross Leonhart on July 31, 2011 – 12:30 pm

AP Image

It’s that time of the year again, when players are released and fans look dejectedly at their closet full of irrelevant jerseys.  Intern Ross speaks from experience on a few of his suggestions.

I don’t remember the days of Sonny Jurgensen, John Riggins or even Joe Gibbs (the first time), because I wasn’t born yet.

What I remember are the days of Darrell Green, Stephen Davis, Sean Taylor and  LaVar Arrington. I grew up on those guys, and I celebrated my fanhood by getting a couple jerseys as a kid.

I have unpleasant memories of the 2003 season, because of those jerseys.

On February 26, 2003, the Redskins released Davis.  I was 13-years-old, and I remember it like it was yesterday.  I wasn’t upset that they were releasing the third leading rusher in franchise history (now fourth after Clinton Portis).  I wasn’t upset they were releasing a man with three straight 1,300+ yard seasons from 1999-2001, including a 17 touchdown season in ’99.

I was mad, because 65 days earlier, Santa Clause brought me a Redskins throwback jersey for Christmas, No. 48.

What was I supposed to do now with a jersey of a player not even on the team?  Well, I asked nicely for my main man, cornerback Champ Bailey’s jersey.  I thought I’d grow old wearing the young stars jersey, until wouldn’t you know it, the Redskins traded Bailey to the Denver Broncos for Clinton Portis.

I was starting to notice a trend, so I took a few years off of asking for Redskins jerseys.  The last jersey I got was #21, which is currently hanging in my room.

I’m afraid to get another.

Now, I know some of you out there are facing the same decisions I faced; what in the world do you do with the now-expendable No. 92 and No. 5 jerseys?

Here are a few options:

1. Keep It:

If worn, be ready to answer the question: “Hey, cool jersey, how’d he work out for you?”

It will also come in handy for a “jersey” party. Instead of being empty-handed, the least you could do is represent your Burgundy and Gold.

2. Replace it:

Pick another player, buy another jersey. My recommendations: Brian Orakpo (No. 98) or Leonard Hankerson (No. 85). But hey, don’t trust my judgment on jerseys.

3. Get rid of it:

You could treat it like the city of Cleveland treated LeBron James’ #23 jerseys after he announced his decision to take his talent to South Beach: burn it in the streets.

Also, if you have friends that are Vikings or Patriots fans, like I do, you can do what the Redskins did with these players: sell it for cheap.

Some charity organizations are welcoming the clothes that will go to those who need them, so feel free to donate it.

So, what are you doing with your Haynesworth or McNabb jersey?

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “Jersey Regrets: I Have A Few”

1. By TJ on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I’m saving them for the future if someone gets one of those numbers then i’ll just re-embroider it with the name

2. By albert on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

haynesworth jersey is now the trophy for the worst team in our fantasy league at the end of the season.

3. By Bruce on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I have my Art Monk hall of fame jersey. It will always be in style. I think that will be my only jersey until the Redskins can come up with another player with his ability and class.

4. By Ike on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The 4 Skins Jerseys I own are Sean Taylor, Brian Orakpo, Clinton Portis, and John Riggins. I say if you want a new jersey but are scared someone will leave buy an old timer. Thats what I did with Riggins. I’m thinking about getting Russ Grimm next or maybe a Theisman. I’m having trouble with my next Caps jersey. I want a young player but I’m afraid he’ll swith #’s.

5. By Lorrie on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I wore my Art Monk Jersey proudly for years and then broke down and bought a Portis…well we know how that went so now, like you I have no one!

6. By 216 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I’ve got a McNabb jersey, I’m just going to keep it. I was a fan of his before he came so it’ll join the collection.

I doubt I’ll wear it around anymore tho haha

7. By Josh on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I have a Laveranues Coles 80 lol

8. By mossfan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Delighted to be able to wear my “Moss” jersey for another season! Let’s go #89!

9. By Ian (UK) on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Don’t bother with a current player shirt – stick with a legend such as Monk or Green – these will still be worn in 20 years time when the Haynesworth one will have long rotted.

10. By timmoe on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I just let someone going with me to the sports bar wear my #26, and I sport my Orakpwned or Sean Taylor 21 ^^

11. By Jskin on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Last two jerseys i bought were Sean’s and Dirty Thirty back when LaRon was a rook.
    I would love having a ; Cooley, Moss, Orakpo, Fletcher, Rogers Jersey :D

Landry BETTER RETIRE A REDSKIN

12. By Eric on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I bought a Betts jersey last year at the stadium for $20 because he was no longer on the team. I always enjoyed watching him play so it didn’t take much for me to fork over the money to get it. But now Ryan Torain wears that number! If he’s stays on the team and keeps running over Cowboys I may need to get his name embroidered over Betts.

13. By Patrick on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I still have my Jason Campbell jersey hanging up. I won’t wear it. But I kept it last year out of disgust for the McNabb trade. I don’t think I’ll get rid of it until a QB steps up.

14. By thtfan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I am buying the hightower now. I have signed one from cards. He is a class act. Been a fan of his since U of R.

If he can fix the fumbles, he will be a star.

15. By Antoine Williams on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

what a long season going to be

16. By brennsdad on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Same thing that I did with my Randle El, give it to a skins fan that doesn’t have another one or can’t afford one and go back to my 21, 44, D Williams 17, 45 and 16 for the rotation!

17. By Tyler on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

My Smoot 21 jersey now has white medical tape over the “smoot” and says “Taylor” in black sharpie.

18. By KIRK LITTLE on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I SPENT BIG BUCKS ON MCNABB JERSEYS LAST YEAR, BUT I WILL STILL WEAR THEM, IT WASNT HIS FAULT IT DIDNT WORK OUT IN DC. SADLY ENOUGH I HAVE TWO BRANDON LLOYD JERSEYS… MY PORTIS JERSEY WILL ALWAYS BE WORN, HE WAS 2ND IN HISTORY BEHIND RIGGO AND HAD SEVEN SEASONS FOR THE TEAM. AND AS LONG AS SMOOT AND MARCUS WASHINGTON NEVER PLAY FOR ANOTHER TEAM I WILL WEAR THIERS AS WELL…

19. By Tim on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I just recently bought a Portis jersey for $10 from the Redskins store. He was one of my favorite players for many years and I have no problems sporting the jersey on Sundays. While it’s not as current, it’s better than paying $100 for someone that may only be here one season.

20. By SB on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Marcus “Washington” Jersey will never go out of style…(as long as we don’t move)….still sport the 56 Arrington Jersey!

21. By Trent on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I bought a Cooley Jersey because i know that Cooley won’t be traded. I personally think Cooley is a Skin’s lifer. Plus, that’s my mother’s maiden name.

22. By Aron on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Going in a drawer next to my Westbrook 82, Shuler 5, and Arrington 56!!!

I officially gave up on new/current players and went safe with a Darrell Green 28 and Art Monk 81. Never have to worry about THEM disappointing me!!!

23. By Daryl on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I’ve owned a Terry Allen jersey (anyone remember him?), Lavarr Arrington, Champ Bailey, and Mike Sellers. So far I’ve got some years out of my Sellers jersey. I’ll probably be keeping that because I like him.

24. By deeborras on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

This is why I don’t tend to buy current players jerseys. I mean I have the classics, Monk, Riggins, Taylor and Darrell Green. I don’t like to buy new jerseys every time we swith players. My god i’d be poor and with nothing but a closet full of old unwanted jerseys. No thanks, Just get you a custom one with your name on the back!

25. By l williams on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

i will alwayz rock my d. williams #17 jersey in blacl and my sean taylor 4ever & alwayz. i personally think the skins should of drafted marvin austin in my opinion he is a much better player than their second pick jenkins from clemson and the combine shows it austin (38 reps) did twice the bench press than jenkins (17 reps) faster 40yard dash higher verticle longer broad jump faster 3 cone & 20yard dash and + austin is 2-3 inches shorter than jenkins that their shows effort heart and dedication to play the game they played all their life AUSTIN IS A FAR BETTER PLAYER THAN JENKINS AND THE SKINS WILL REGRET NOT PICKING AUSTIN A HOME TOWN KID COULD BEEN DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR IN THE ACC 4 SURE. NORTH CAROLINA COULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING 4 A NATIONAL TITLE IF THEIR WHOLE DEFENSE WAS NOT SUSPENDED.

26. By toldjall on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

the haynesworth-less jersey,well you could wipe your you kno what with it..Mcnabb,w/e..but for a jersey of the players we have now,go with Cooley and Moss..its all we have left now really..R.I.P Sean Taylor/still needed,never forgotten..

27. By RC on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I have a signed classic, #84 Gary Clark, and it will be my only one ever. I’ve loved this team for 34+years and proudly wear my jersey. It certainly helps that he and I share the same last name!

28. By gris on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

hi, i have an original one of a kind redskins D. Williams signed longsleeve throwback, does anyone know what one of these is worth? i’ve tried looking for one and they dont make them or i just cant find it anymore to compare prices. im thinkin of selling it. NEVER WORN. plz if someone knows their stuff, let me know. thank you much.