• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Anthony Armstrong is Coaching a Different Kind of Football

Posted by Brian Tinsman on May 23, 2011 – 12:01 pm

Redskins.com intern Brian Tinsman heard wide receiver Anthony Armstrong chatting on ESPN Radio about his new job, and checks in with this update. I’m mainly excited that he was able to create the “Ninjas” tag, which is something I’ve always thought this blog needed.

by Brian Tinsman
Redskins.com

As this unusual offseason continues, players are finding increasingly creative ways to stay busy.

And then there’s Anthony Armstrong — or should I say Coach Anthony Armstrong — who recently caught up with John Kincade of ESPN Radio to discuss his somewhat unusual offseason gig.

Armstrong has recently taken on the task of coaching a soccer team of 7 to 8-year-olds in the Loudoun County recreation league. His team, the “Ninjas,” was without a coach when the season started — and, in fact, didn’t even exist.

“This year, they said, was a record turnout and it exceeded the amount of people that could coach,” Armstrong explained. “On that last day, actually my girlfriend–her son was still on that [waiting] list–went in there to kinda see. I just asked, ‘What do I have to do to coach, what am I required?'”

Apparently having prior soccer experience is recommended for the job, but not totally necessary. Armstrong played the sport for one year, and that was almost 20 years ago.

“I came into it with very limited soccer experience,” he said. “My first day I actually went out there and I was looking around, seeing what other coaches were doing. My practice time was a little bit later than some of the other soccer coaches, I was picking their brain, and seeing what drills they were doing.”

Armstrong’s playbook started out pretty simple: See. Shoot. Score. “I was basically just like, ‘Alright, dribble the ball and kick it in the goal,’ and that’s really all it was,” he said. “It’s actually grown since then, and I’ve actually learned a few terms.”

“I’ve learned a couple things. I think the kids have taken to it slowly, but surely.”

Armstrong is just a guy trying to give back. This isn’t something that glorifies himself or keeps him in the spotlight. He’s just helping eight 7 to 8-year-olds get out and play soccer.

“I just got them running around like chickens with their heads cut off, just trying to score some goals and have some fun,” he said with a laugh. “I’m kind of a busy-body. I just went ahead and took on the task and it’s been a great experience.”

Tags: , , ,