It’s been kind of a weird week in Donovan McNabb. Technically, McNabb is one of two quarterbacks on the Redskins roster at the moment, but every 2011 preview seems to include a phrase like “but no one expects him to be back.” Half the Redskins fans on Twitter are engaged in some kind of weird, repetitive debate cycle about Vince Young, while the other half — which includes me — are writing about the possibilities offered by John Beck – a guy who has started no football games for three teams in the last three years. Yesterday, boxer Bernard Hopkins ripped into McNabb with a racially charged rant, seemingly without any real provocation. As recently as this morning, the Junkies on 106.7 The Fan were going over rumors of behind-the-scenes frustration with McNabb from last season.
And what was McNabb doing yesterday?
Just hanging out in South Bend, Indiana, speaking at the College Football Hall of Fame. Not nearly as dramatic as all that stuff in the first paragraph, but enough to generate a bullet-pointed list worth of headlines and notes.
- He’s not sure what his deal is for next year either. “There’s a lot of speculation right now,” McNabb told South Bend’s NBC affiliate WNDU. “The only I can do is work on my craft and training myself. Wherever I may play, I’ll be ready and look forward to a great season.”
- Lou Holtz declined to bring him to Notre Dame. The South Bend Tribune talked at length to McNabb’s college offensive coordinator, Kevin Rogers, who went on to be an assistant with the Irish.
- McNabb believes that Notre Dame QB Everett Golson should play both football and basketball. “Basketball footwork really helps in the football arena,” McNabb told WNDU. “Just the quickness, the anticipation, and the speed is something you will use in the pocket as well as getting out of the pocket.”
- He also visited kids at the pediatric unit at an area hospital. “These kids had a smile on their face when we were able to walk in and that’s joy to my heart,” McNabb said.
- The Sporting News interpreted McNabb’s comments to mean that he’s “not ruling out a return to the Redskins.”
Yep. Just another quiet week in the life of Donovan McNabb.
Tags: bernard hopkins, donovan mcnabb
Posted in General | No Comments »