It’s that surprisingly exciting time of year again: time to unveil the four opponents for the upcoming preseason games, and the sequence in which those games will occur. (Despite the fact that I call it the “preseason schedule” in the headline, that’s not exactly accurate — dates for three of these games are still TBD, and none of the kickoff times are set.)
- Week 1: Pittsburgh Steelers
- Week 2: AT Indianapolis Colts
- Week 3: AT Baltimore Ravens (Thursday, August 25, ESPN)
- Week 4: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
And a few notes about these games (many of them courtesy of Redskins PR):
- Much like in 2009, the Redskins face a brutal preseason road, at least based on the preceding year’s finishes. This year’s four opponents finished 2010 with a combined 44-20 regular season record and a 3-3 record in the playoffs, culminating in Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl loss.
- This is not the 573rd straight preseason the Redskins are facing the Steelers, although it certainly feels like it. In fact, the Steelers and Colts (Baltimore AND Indianapolis) are the two opponents Washington has faced most often in the pre-season — this year marks the twentieth preseason meeting for each.
- Week 2 will be the first time the Redskins play at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis; the teams faced off in the 2008 preseason in the Hall Of Fame game in Canton. (Many blog readers will no doubt remember that as the first time Colt Brennan made his bid for the Redskins Preseason Hall Of Fame.)
- The Redskins have played the Ravens in seven of the last eight preseasons, and faced off in the regular season in the one year they skipped (2008).
- Aside from the Week 3 contest at Baltimore, the other three games will be broadcast locally on NBC-4 and CSN Washington.
- Times and dates for all games will be announced at a later date.
Posted in General | 2 Comments »