• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.

Tuesday Roundup Of Radiophonic Redskins

Posted by Matt Terl on December 28, 2010 – 3:06 pm

If it’s Tuesday — and it is! — then it must be time to see what the various Redskins with paid radio gigs have to say about the team and their situations. It’s rare that the main attraction on Tuesday is the appearance on ESPN 980 of Donovan McNabb, who is notoriously cagey and inclined to give the political answer whenever he can; usually Clinton Portis and Chris Cooley are more closely followed.

But today marked McNabb’s first comment since his agent, Fletcher Smith, sent out a statement criticizing head coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, and since each Shanahan responded to that statement. So today, for once, McNabb gets top billing (even though what he said really didn’t amount to much, and didn’t really change the narrative on that particular plotline of the ongoing 2010 Redskins soap opera).

McNabb took a somewhat peculiar position with regard to Smith’s statement. It would seem to be fairly clear-cut: either the agent speaks for McNabb, or the agent is out of line. McNabb says that things aren’t that simple. “Let’s put it this way,” McNabb said. “I support my agent. I support my agent in all calls…. I discuss with my agent if he asks a question about what’s going on, or things of that nature. That’s something that we talk about. And, I guess, as you read in the article, he put his thoughts into the whole deal. Not Donovan’s thoughts.”

In fact, McNabb said, what upset him most about the entire incident was “the reaction to the whole deal,” to which he later added, “when I read the whole thing, I didn’t see nothing wrong with it.”

McNabb said that he wasn’t aware that the statement was being released before it came out, but reiterated his support for his agent after the fact.

In the end, this whole line of questioning just continues the he-said-he-said thing that this situation is becoming, now with the addition of the agent as another, apparently autonomous, he-said.

But there were a few other tidbits of note in McNabb’s appearance.

• McNabb confirmed Kyle Shanahan’s account of a meeting between the two following the release of Smith’s statement. “We sat down and we discussed a lot of different things,” McNabb said. “Those are ones I’ll keep between Kyle and I. And I thought we got things out there on the table and we were able to move on.”
  • McNabb denied an ESPN report that he would ask for his release at the end of the season — “No, that’s false,” he said. He also specified that he hadn’t discussed the situation with owner Daniel Snyder or general manager Bruce Allen.
  • And he reiterated that he didn’t regret the trade that brought him here, didn’t regret teh contract extension, and again said that he’d like to be the QB in D.C. in 2011 — but this time he made clearer some of the things that would need to happen to make that possible. “Things would obviously have to change,” McNabb said. “You know, relationships have to better, conversations have to be better. But that’s something that you do over time. And it progresses over time. When we first started the season, we talked about it. It’s a progression, you know, how you’re building a relationship with each other. You bring in new guys and you’re building a relationship with the guys, and good things happen out on the field.”

So … yeah. Make of that what you will, I suppose.

Meanwhile, the news was a little brighter over in Clinton Portis Land.Speaking on his weeky appearance on 106.7 The Fan, Portis gave some good news about his health. “I think I’m pretty healthy,” Portis told hosts Holden Kushner and Brian Mitchell. “I think already did all the requirements that the doc asked me to do. I’m runnin’, I’m doing the ladders, I’m jumpin’, my leg feels great. I could run routes today, if given the opportunity. So I think I’d be perfectly healthy. I think I’d be perfectly fine.”

Kushner was stunned by this, and asked Portis if he could play right now.

“I actually feel like I could,” Portis said. “You know, I think the surgery went great and Doctor [Something] did a great job. I mean, I know I’m ahead of schedule. And I was runnin’ the first week and everybody in therapy was, like, ‘You gotta be kidding.’ But it is what it is, you know? I think I’ll be healthy and looking forward to next season.”

That doesn’t effect Portis this year — he’s on season-ending injured reserve — but it does mean that he’ll have the entire offseason (and more) to get ready to make his case that he belongs on this team next year.

Elsewhere on 106.7 The Fan, I actually missed Chris Cooley talking last night — I was busy hosting a show on Ustream with a ridiculous sombrero on — but Rick Maese of the Washington Post was paying attention, and he reports that Cooley says that he “about lost his mind” because of the dropped passes in the first half.

Here’s some more of Cooley’s comments, all via Maese’s transcription (in that post and this one):

• “I was really disappointed with my performance in the first half. Obviously, I’m embarrassed by the first drop that I had in the end zone. That’s just a shame that I did that. I guess, it happens. I don’t have much to say about it. I don’t know really why it happened. I watched it again. But I’m embarrassed.”
  • On Rex Grossman’s future with the Redskins: “It’s going to come down to what our organization decides to do with No. 5. If he’s by the phone and they tell him to go home or if they want him back. If something happens with Donovan, I think Rex is immediately the guy.”
  • On Grossman’s performance: “I think he’s done a fantastic job. I think he deserves the opportunity he has to play, and I think he’s making the most of it.”

If anyone else had a radio show today and I missed it, I apologize. Just go ahead and send me your transcript and I’ll be more than happy to post it.

Tags: , , , , ,