• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Eagles kickoff on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:15 PM EST Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker and Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField during the Redskins vs.Eagles game on December 20, 2014.

• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Dec. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Cowboys kickoff on Sunday, December 28, 2014.

Charles Barkley Has His Burgundy McNabb Jersey And Supreme Confidence In The Redskins

Posted by Matt Terl on October 1, 2010 – 4:02 pm

Hey, remember back in July when basketball great Charles Barkley promised to wear a Donovan McNabb jersey to the Eagles/Redskins game in Philly? Yeah, well, guess what’s actually happening this weekend, based on Barkley’s comments to Howard Eskin and Ike Reese on WIP in Philly.

This popped up on Deadspin via Sports Radio Interviews today, but that streamlined transcript really loses some of the enthusiasm that both Barkley and Eskin bring to the exchange. My first recommendation is that you listen to the audio here, but — barring that — I’ve re-transcribed the initial stretch of the conversation to try to convey some of Barkley’s fire.

The hosts (it’s mostly Eskin) are in bold, but let’s start with Barkley:

“First of all, I can’t wait to get to the game Sunday,” Barkley begins, “and I wanna personally thank Mr. Daniel Snyder for sending me my Donovan McNabb Redskins jersey. And I cannot wait. Now, I’m a little disturbed because, you know, Michael Vick, I’m pulling for him. But I’ve always said that Donovan never has gotten the respect he deserves in Philadelphia and before Michael Vick got in the game I didn’t know that [he would be playing].

“But I’m wearing my Donovan McNabb jersey and I can’t wait till Sunday at 4:15 Eastern.”

You know how stupid and foolish you are to wear a Donovan McNabb Redskin jersey to an Eagles home game. You know how stupid and foolish you are, correct?

“Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. I can’t be a Donovan McNabb fan? ‘Cause I’m in Philadelphia I’ve got to be an Eagles fan?”

Well, hold it. You were never a Redskins fan, correct?

“You’re right. I’m a Donovan McNabb fan.”

All right, but it is Philadelphia, where you’re wearing that jersey.

“Are you telling me no other fans can wear a jersey in- in- in- well, it’s not Veteran’s Stadium anymore. Into the Linc?”

Well, you can wear whatever you want, but you don’t wear that jersey to this stadium in a rivalry game.

“Is that one of the Ten Commandments? That’s right under Thou shall not kill?”

Yeah, that is one of the Ten Commandments.

“Wait, Howard. Are you kidding me? Are you saying fans can’t wear other teams’ jerseys at the Linc?”

I’m telling you that it is stupid on your part.

“Why?!? Why is it?!?!?”

Because it’s a Redskin jersey!

“Howard, I can be a fan for who I wanna be.”

You know you’re gonna get abused, right?

Well, I’m not worried about that. When they win the game, I’m gonna get the last laugh, too.

Wait a minute: When who wins the game?

“When the Redskins win the game.”

Okay, I’ll tell you what: I’m gonna make you a challenge. If, in fact, the Eagles win the game and, obviously the two quarterbacks are Vick — that’s not gonna change — and Donovan McNabb, you have to change for the next game, and you have to wear a Michael Vick jersey to Washington for that game.

“First of all, that’s not goin’ to happen. And, you know, I’m really pullin’ for Michael Vick, and I’m glad he’s doin’ well. But he’s just in the wrong place at the wrong time this weekend.”

Oh, he is, huh? And what leads you to the opinion that the Redskins — as pathetic as they are — are going to win this game?

“It’s called karma. It’s called karma, Howard. You know, Donovan has never been treated good and it’s just karma. It’s just, like, the football gods are gonna rise up — they’re gonna RISE up — and this is gonna get the Redskins season started.”

Rise up? Where are they coming from, the dead?

“They’re struggling, but they should be 2-1, in fairness. But they’re gonna rise up this weekend.”

So what you’re saying is, here — and you’re giving me a lot of hocus pocus here — you’re not taking my challenge of you have to wear a — I guess it’s gotta be a 6X is what you wear these days —

“I’ll tell you what, Howard: the Redskins are gonna win the game. I got a lotta love for Michael Vick and the Eagles, but when they traded my boy, I’m a Redskin fan now. And I can’t wait to get to the game Sunday.”

Wait a minute: you were an Eagles fan–

“I was.”

Okay, so you’re not an Eagles fan anymore?

“Not this weekend, I’m not.”

This goes on for a while longer, and Barkley eventually does accept a modified version of the bet (he’ll wear the Vick jersey on the set of the TNT basketball studio show), but only after insisting repeatedly that the Redskins will win and that karma will rise up. The segment really is everything you always hope for from sports talk radio and so rarely get.

Read more of it — including a few more comments about the game — at Deadspin, or listen to the audio here.

Tags: ,